Router recommendation for Virgin 100Mb/s

Old December 11th 14, 07:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Thomas Cole

Default Router recommendation for Virgin 100Mb/s

Hello. I "supercharged" my Virgin cable broadband recently to 100 meg (free
of charge!) and I think it's time for a new router as I think the old
D-Link I have is acting as a bottleneck, on wireless speed tests I rarely
get above 15Mb/s whereas if I hook a wire to the SuperHub from my laptop I
get full speed. This never really bothered me before with the 60Mb/s
connection as I was still reliably getting 10-15Mb/s over wi-fi which was
plenty fast enough but now I have 100 meg I want to make use of it!

So, any routers that are good and solid and will let me get full speed over
wireless? I specifically want to have a router dealing with wi-fi as the
SuperHub is terrible at it and doesn't cover my whole house and I have a
second router acting as a wireless bridge in my office on the basement
floor that it just can't communicate with.

Cheers!

--
Stephen Thomas Cole // Sent from my iPhone
Old December 11th 14, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 11/12/14 07:12, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:
[...]

You will need a 5GHZ wifi router then, and hope it has the range.

original wifi can't ever do much more than 40Mbps and that's on a clear
day for a single device with a following wind

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old December 11th 14, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:
Hello. I "supercharged" my Virgin cable broadband recently to 100 meg (free
of charge!) and I think it's time for a new router as I think the old
D-Link I have is acting as a bottleneck, on wireless speed tests I rarely
get above 15Mb/s whereas if I hook a wire to the SuperHub from my laptop I
get full speed. This never really bothered me before with the 60Mb/s
connection as I was still reliably getting 10-15Mb/s over wi-fi which was
plenty fast enough but now I have 100 meg I want to make use of it!

So, any routers that are good and solid and will let me get full speed over
wireless? I specifically want to have a router dealing with wi-fi as the
SuperHub is terrible at it and doesn't cover my whole house and I have a
second router acting as a wireless bridge in my office on the basement
floor that it just can't communicate with.

Wireless is a half-duplex technology that shares its spectrum with other
wireless users on the same or adjacent channels. You're very unlikely
to get better than about 40 Mbits/sec.

If you want full speed 100 Mbits/sec you should use Ethernet cables.
That way you could get 1 Gbits/sec between devices on the LAN - really
good for backup to NAS.

Wireless is a hopelessly oversold technology.

--
Graham J

Old December 11th 14, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Graham J" wrote in message
Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:
[...]

Also, don't get mixed up between megabits and megabytes (a
factor of 10) which suppliers often provide to make
themselves look better.

Point of interest - does the OP have a SH1 or SH2? The
latter - a branded Netgear product - is known to be
substantially better than the SH1. As the SH is owned by VM
I would suggest all it needs is to develop an 'intermittent'
problem on your side as (a) VM can see the line side and (b)
they do not guarantee the wi-fi operation so they might
change it for you.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 11th 14, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson

In message , Woody
writes

Also, don't get mixed up between megabits and megabytes (a
factor of 10) which suppliers often provide to make
themselves look better.

Yebbut....
The only real confusion may be that de facto unit for SPEED is 'bits per
second' (b/s), and for data storage CAPACITY it is 'bytes' (capital B,
where 1 byte is usually 8 bits). The only discrepancy is whether (for
example) the prefix 'kilo' means x1000 or x1024. As such, speeds in b/s
are 8 times faster than if they were quoted in B/s - but nobody is
trying to deceive anybody.

Unfortunately, computer programmer people (even Microsoft) often display
speeds on your screen in 'B/s' (or even B/S), when they really mean
'b/s'. As nobody means 'B/s', you can therefore be pretty sure that if
you see 'B/s', it is actually 'b/s' (if you see what I mean!).

--
Ian
Old December 11th 14, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Graham J wrote:

Wireless is a half-duplex technology that shares its spectrum with other
wireless users on the same or adjacent channels. You're very unlikely
to get better than about 40 Mbits/sec.

Under close to ideal circumstances, I've had 270-300Mbps throughput over
WiFi ...

* 5GHz (and I was likely the only non 2.4GHz client)

* 40MHz wide channels

* multi aerials/radios on the access point and on the laptop (MIMO)

* 1Gb ethernet connection between access point and switch

* Good line of sight to access point

* Transferring a large file, so the bulk of the data is on one
directions, with only acknowledgements in the other diretion

* Talking to a server with large SAS RAID array serving up the data

and yet, I still prefer to use a 2 cat5 patch lead whenever I can :-)

Old December 11th 14, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 11/12/2014 09:26, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Woody
writes

Also, don't get mixed up between megabits and megabytes (a
factor of 10) which suppliers often provide to make
themselves look better.

Yebbut....
The only real confusion may be that de facto unit for SPEED is 'bits per
second' (b/s), and for data storage CAPACITY it is 'bytes' (capital B,
where 1 byte is usually 8 bits). The only discrepancy is whether (for
example) the prefix 'kilo' means x1000 or x1024. As such, speeds in b/s
are 8 times faster than if they were quoted in B/s - but nobody is
trying to deceive anybody.

Unfortunately, computer programmer people (even Microsoft) often display
speeds on your screen in 'B/s' (or even B/S), when they really mean
'b/s'. As nobody means 'B/s', you can therefore be pretty sure that if
you see 'B/s', it is actually 'b/s' (if you see what I mean!).

Not true. In Firefox I see downloads come down in B/s and it's correct.
My line speed is ~12Mbps and Firefox d/loads are usually in the 1-1.5
MB/s region.

Old December 11th 14, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson

In message , chris
writes
[...]

Well, 1.5MB/s IS around 12Mb/s. But of course, maybe it really does mean
'Mb/s' and your Firefox downloads really ARE slow (although I'm sure you
will have noticed).

But as I said, computer people are often very lax about whether they
mean 'b' or 'B'. Surely quoting data speeds in real B/s is unusual?

And where is the MB/s displayed? I've got NetMeter to indicate my up and
down speeds, and one of the options is to show units in kilobits,
kibits, kilobytes or kibytes per second. If I really want to show low
numbers, I could choose kB/s.
--
Ian
Old December 11th 14, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 09:26:42 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

Also, don't get mixed up between megabits and megabytes (a
factor of 10) which suppliers often provide to make
themselves look better.

Yebbut....
The only real confusion may be that de facto unit for SPEED is 'bits per
second' (b/s), and for data storage CAPACITY it is 'bytes' (capital B,
where 1 byte is usually 8 bits). The only discrepancy is whether (for
example) the prefix 'kilo' means x1000 or x1024. As such, speeds in b/s
are 8 times faster than if they were quoted in B/s - but nobody is
trying to deceive anybody.

If the prefix means 1024 (rather than 1000), it's supposed to be
written "kib" or "kiB" and pronounced "kibibits" or "kibibytes"
(rather than kilobits or kilobytes). Similarly with "mebibytes" and so
on. There's an article all about this on Wikipedia.

The basic principles appear to be-

1. There are 8 bits in a byte.

2. Bits are indicated by a lowercase b, bytes by capital B.

3. For multiples of 10, the usual multipliers, kilo-, mega- etc are
used, but when dealing with "binary thousands" or "binary millions"
etc, i.e. multiples of 2^10 which are close to multiples of 10^3, then
the word is modified by inserting the letters "bi", to indicate that
it's binary, so you get get prefixes "kibi-", "mebi-", "gibi-" etc.

It's all perfectly logical once you realise how the system works, but
as usual the world has no shortage of people who don't, and of course
the numbers claimed for a particular device or system may also depend
on who's buying and who's selling.

Rod.
Old December 11th 14, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

be aware that twhe convention SEEMS to be that communication channels
are quoted in raw bits per second but data transfer is in Bytes/s
because not only are there less bytes than bits, but also the
multiplier is not 8 either, as framing bits create an overhead in packet
switched networks.

e.g. I get around 12MB/s on a 100Mbps ethernet...NOT 12.5MB/s

On DSL its a fair bit worse than that.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll