BTWizard?

Old December 16th 14, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Default BTWizard?

I've started to get this message (I think when opening my Firefox
browser): "RUNDLL Error loading btwizard.dll The specified module
could not be found."
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...BTWizard-1.jpg

As far as I can tell from some initial googling it's something to do
with the BT tool called BT Wizard. So as a start I'm wondering if
anyone here can advise please.

The file does exist, and on my XP PC it's at
C:\WINDOWS\system32\BtWizard.dll

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old December 16th 14, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I've started to get this message (I think when opening my Firefox
browser): "RUNDLL Error loading btwizard.dll The specified module
could not be found."
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...BTWizard-1.jpg

As far as I can tell from some initial googling it's something to do
with the BT tool called BT Wizard. So as a start I'm wondering if
anyone here can advise please.

The file does exist, and on my XP PC it's at
C:\WINDOWS\system32\BtWizard.dll

Looks like my initial research was a bit hasty. It seems the 'BT'
stands for Bluetooth in this case!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old December 16th 14, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In message , Terry Pinnell
writes
Terry Pinnell wrote:

I've started to get this message (I think when opening my Firefox
browser): "RUNDLL Error loading btwizard.dll The specified module
could not be found."
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...BTWizard-1.jpg

As far as I can tell from some initial googling it's something to do
with the BT tool called BT Wizard. So as a start I'm wondering if
anyone here can advise please.

The file does exist, and on my XP PC it's at
C:\WINDOWS\system32\BtWizard.dll

Looks like my initial research was a bit hasty. It seems the 'BT'
stands for Bluetooth in this case!

Probably
--
bert
Old December 16th 14, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 16/12/2014 08:38, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I've started to get this message (I think when opening my Firefox
browser): "RUNDLL Error loading btwizard.dll The specified module
could not be found."
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...BTWizard-1.jpg

As far as I can tell from some initial googling it's something to do
with the BT tool called BT Wizard. So as a start I'm wondering if
anyone here can advise please.

The file does exist, and on my XP PC it's at
C:\WINDOWS\system32\BtWizard.dll

Likely something it needs doesn't exist.

But I can't imagine why Firefox should need bluetooth, or BT. If you
right-click on the file, and select "properties" it should tell you
which one it is. Unless it's malware, and lies about it of course.

There are tools which will tell you what's really missing. You might
want to look for a Windows group.

Andy
Old December 17th 14, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Vir Campestris wrote:

[...]

Thanks both. As per my follow-up post, it's owned by Bluetooth
Software 5.0.1.802 from Broadcom Corporation. I've since uninstalled
that, but still get the message. I was probably wrong about the
Firefox connection.

I've posted to an XP forum or two, as it's clearly OT here now. But in
case anyone here has expertise in this area, or simply curious, here's
more detail.

--------------------

I haven't yet pinned down what activity actually triggers the
message. But I do know that the problem has arisen since trying to
uninstall a program. (I think it's now irrelevant, but FWIW that was
called Desktop Capture Engine, which came as part of SUPER, the video
converter).

I used the noemally very reliable Revo Uninstaller. But somehow it
deleted scores of files in \System 32 before I cancelled it.

One of the accidentally deleted files must have been btwizard.dll,
which I found is owned by Bluetooth Software 5.0.1.802 from Broadcom
Corporation. I downloaded a replacement for that file, but the
messages continued to occur.

Then I uninstalled Bluetooth Software (which I don't use - can't
remember why I installed it those years ago and I don't pair BT
devices with this desktop PC - or anything else for that matter). But
I still get the message.

I've done the obvious stuff like running sfc \scannow and registry
cleaning.

I'll next try replacing btwizard.dll again in \System 32 (it was of
course deleted when I uninstalled Bluetooth Software). But, as it's an
intermittent problem, it might be some time before I'm confident this
has fixed it.

Also, I remain nervous about negative impacts from the other deleted
files. Would that sfc \scannow have replaced those *essential* to XP?
Is there any way of finding what files *were* deleted? I backup data
and my XP registry nightly, but not \System 32! And they were not in
the Recycle Bin.

My PC seems to be running OK - I just close the message and continue.
So it's not a serious practical problem, but I hate unsolved puzzles
of this sort!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK