BRAS profile

Old December 20th 14, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default BRAS profile

Can a Plusnet domestic customer find out his BRAS profile by logging
into his account from another broadband connection?

I see it might be possible by running a speed test using his own
connection, but this isn't what I want.

For example, I can log into my Zen member account from anywhere, and can
see my line data including the BRAS profile. Can a Plusnet customer
find out his BRAS profile using a similar mechanism?

--
Graham J
Old December 21st 14, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:50:02 +0000, Graham J
wrote:

Can a Plusnet domestic customer find out his BRAS profile by logging
into his account from another broadband connection?

I see it might be possible by running a speed test using his own
connection, but this isn't what I want.

For example, I can log into my Zen member account from anywhere, and can
see my line data including the BRAS profile. Can a Plusnet customer
find out his BRAS profile using a similar mechanism?

If you log into the member centre and look at:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?acti...transfer_speed

The "current line speed" gives you your sync speed. You should be
able to work out the BRAS profile from this.

On 21CN the IP profile will always be 88.2% of the sync rate

Old December 21st 14, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

wrote:

Can a Plusnet domestic customer find out his BRAS profile by logging
into his account from another broadband connection?

I see it might be possible by running a speed test using his own
connection, but this isn't what I want.

For example, I can log into my Zen member account from anywhere, and can
see my line data including the BRAS profile. Can a Plusnet customer
find out his BRAS profile using a similar mechanism?

If you log into the member centre and look at:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?acti...transfer_speed

The "current line speed" gives you your sync speed. You should be
able to work out the BRAS profile from this.

On 21CN the IP profile will always be 88.2% of the sync rate

Er ... No.

I accept that the theroetical figure is usually 88.2% of the sync rate.

However, if there has been intermittent noise on the line the BRAS
profile can be very low - sometimes less than 1% of the sync rate. This
is why it is important to be able to find out what it actually is.

I am about to recommend Plusnet to a neighbour whose line suffers
exactly this intermittent noise problem, and want to know whether I will
be able to see the profile figure from another line.

In fact I have two neighbours who see this intermittent noise problem:
the router shows reasonable parameters (sync 2Mbits/sec, SNR margin 6dB,
loop loss 63dB) but the throughput is about 3 kbits/sec. These
neighbours are both with LineOne or Tiscali (now TalkTalk, I think) and
in both cases after they've spent 2 hours on the phone to the Indian
call centre and asked for a migration code the profile is reset and they
get sensible download speeds for a week or two; then it all goes wrong
again.

So I want to recommend a more competent supplier with the potential for
bundled calls, and Plusnet is one possibility. But I want to be able to
see what is going on, also ...

--
Graham J

Old December 21st 14, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

[...]

Sounds more like 20CN where there is a delay between the sync rate
recovering and the IP profile rising.

To quote the PN web site:
"21CN products: the IP Profile is calculated each time your line
syncs"

Old December 21st 14, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

wrote:

Can a Plusnet domestic customer find out his BRAS profile by logging
into his account from another broadband connection?

I see it might be possible by running a speed test using his own
connection, but this isn't what I want.

For example, I can log into my Zen member account from anywhere, and can
see my line data including the BRAS profile. Can a Plusnet customer
find out his BRAS profile using a similar mechanism?

If you log into the member centre and look at:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?acti...transfer_speed

The "current line speed" gives you your sync speed. You should be
able to work out the BRAS profile from this.

On 21CN the IP profile will always be 88.2% of the sync rate

Er ... No.

I accept that the theoretical figure is usually 88.2% of the sync rate.

However, if there has been intermittent noise on the line the BRAS
profile can be very low - sometimes less than 1% of the sync rate. This
is why it is important to be able to find out what it actually is.

Sounds more like 20CN where there is a delay between the sync rate
recovering and the IP profile rising.

To quote the PN web site:
"21CN products: the IP Profile is calculated each time your line
syncs"

Very likely. In my experience of poor ADSL connections in rural
locations once the BRAS profile drops, it never recovers by itself; it's
always necessary to ring the ISP who in turn request a reset from BT.
Easy with Zen or the like, and it often resets within minutes, but
others like BT and TalkTalk only respond after I've asked for a
migration code.

--
Graham J

Old December 22nd 14, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 20/12/2014 12:50, Graham J wrote:
Can a Plusnet domestic customer find out his BRAS profile by logging
into his account from another broadband connection?

I see it might be possible by running a speed test using his own
connection, but this isn't what I want.

For example, I can log into my Zen member account from anywhere, and can
see my line data including the BRAS profile. Can a Plusnet customer
find out his BRAS profile using a similar mechanism?

The only thing you can see from logging into your account is the
information here that's been alluded to by others -
http://users.plus.net/QL:9C987FEE

Contrary to wht it says on that page, the 'current line speed' is the
profiling we apply at our side and is designed to align with the BT BRAS
profile (I think it rounds down to the nearest 100kbps or so).

Whilst the intention is for the two profiles to be aligned, it can take
a while for ours to update after a change at BT's side so I don't think
it's going to fit your requirement.

An alternative would be to run a speedtest over at -
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

After it's complete, select the 'further diagnostics' option and enter
the phone number of the circuit you're wanting to check. The 'IP
Profile' that returns will provide the information you're after. I think
there's a limit on the number of times you can run this test in a given
period mind you.

Old December 22nd 14, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 20/12/2014 12:50, Graham J wrote:
Can a Plusnet domestic customer find out his BRAS profile by logging
into his account from another broadband connection?

I see it might be possible by running a speed test using his own
connection, but this isn't what I want.

For example, I can log into my Zen member account from anywhere, and can
see my line data including the BRAS profile. Can a Plusnet customer
find out his BRAS profile using a similar mechanism?

The only thing you can see from logging into your account is the
information here that's been alluded to by others -
http://users.plus.net/QL:9C987FEE

Contrary to what it says on that page, the 'current line speed' is the
profiling we apply at our side and is designed to align with the BT BRAS
profile (I think it rounds down to the nearest 100kbps or so).

Whilst the intention is for the two profiles to be aligned, it can take
a while for ours to update after a change at BT's side so I don't think
it's going to fit your requirement.

An alternative would be to run a speedtest over at -
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

After it's complete, select the 'further diagnostics' option and enter
the phone number of the circuit you're wanting to check. The 'IP
Profile' that returns will provide the information you're after. I think
there's a limit on the number of times you can run this test in a given
period mind you.

I tried http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ - as you explained it tests my
own line, then allows me to test somebody else's line. Do you know of
any test that will bypass the first test and ONLY run the test on the
third party's line?

Thanks.

--
Graham J

Old December 22nd 14, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 22/12/2014 15:57, Graham J wrote:
Do you know of
any test that will bypass the first test and ONLY run the test on the
third party's line?

Not off the top of my head Graham.

Old December 22nd 14, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 22/12/2014 15:57, Graham J wrote:

I tried http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ - as you explained it tests my
own line, then allows me to test somebody else's line. Do you know of
any test that will bypass the first test and ONLY run the test on the
third party's line?

Hmm, gives interesting results when you do that! They are a mixture of
the figures for the two lines. I ran it from home, where I'm on FTTC at
about 50Mbps but put in the phone number of my holiday flat, which has
basic ADSL at about 7Mbps, and this is what it said:

"Download speed achieved during the test was - 48.91 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.62 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6.5 Mbps"

It obviously needs care to interpret it correctly!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 24th 14, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hamster

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...

An alternative would be to run a speedtest over at -
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

After it's complete, select the 'further diagnostics' option and enter the
phone number of the circuit you're wanting to check. The 'IP Profile' that
returns will provide the information you're after. I think

This used to work for me OK after I got Plusnet FTTC but ever since my
telephone was transferred to Plusnet shortly after, I simply get 'there
has been an error, please re-run the test' now so has the telephone
transfer to Plusnet somehow stopped my phone number I need to enter for
the 'further diagnostics' being recognised? Another poster [somewhere]
suggested that I would need the Plusnet Service ID to be entered rather
than my telephone number for a non-BT telephone?

Rod