Fibre v ADSL

Old January 1st 15, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ash burton

Default Fibre v ADSL

I have discovered that fibre broadband is now available in my location
but on running a line speed check with my present bb supplier it is
showing that only 4.7 Mbps is available on fibre against 8 Mbps for
ordinary broadband.

Why therefore would i want to transfer to 'fibre' or am i missing something?

(the monthly costs are similar)

Ash

Old January 1st 15, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

ash burton (for it is he) wrote:

Why therefore would i want to transfer to 'fibre' or am i missing
something?

(the monthly costs are similar)

What does an estimate for ADSL say? I think what you may be missing, is that
it's an estimate and the proof of this particular pudding is in the eating.
OTOH, you may be a long way from the cabinet and as such you really may not
see much improvement moving from ADSL to VDSL.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
13:03:23 up 66 days, 3:36, 6 users, load average: 1.12, 1.35, 0.96

Old January 1st 15, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

ash burton wrote:

I have discovered that fibre broadband is now available in my location
but on running a line speed check with my present bb supplier it is
showing that only 4.7 Mbps is available on fibre against 8 Mbps for
ordinary broadband.

Do you know where "your" green cabinet is? How much closer (as the mole
digs) is it compared to "your" exchange?

Old January 1st 15, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ash burton

On 01/01/2015 13:10, Andy Burns wrote:
ash burton wrote:

I have discovered that fibre broadband is now available in my location
but on running a line speed check with my present bb supplier it is
showing that only 4.7 Mbps is available on fibre against 8 Mbps for
ordinary broadband.

Do you know where "your" green cabinet is? How much closer (as the mole
digs) is it compared to "your" exchange?

The exchange is about 2 km distant and the existing telephone cables are
overhead via poles, i have not seen a green cabinet but it may not be at
the roadside here, although as it is a very rural area with not many
properties it may be at or near the exchange.

Old January 1st 15, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 01/01/2015 12:56, ash burton wrote:
I have discovered that fibre broadband is now available in my location
but on running a line speed check with my present bb supplier it is
showing that only 4.7 Mbps is available on fibre against 8 Mbps for
ordinary broadband.

Why therefore would i want to transfer to 'fibre' or am i missing
something?

(the monthly costs are similar)

Ash

I have changed to FTTC and your figure makes no sense to me.
I thought anyway that there is a minimum figure fiber as to before ISP
allowed to change someone, is it 18Mb?

I suggest you contact your ISP for an explaination and also get quotes
fron other ISPs.
Regards
David

PS my estimate for copper is 8Mb and 30MB on FTTC.
Old January 1st 15, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

ash burton wrote:

The exchange is about 2 km distant and the existing telephone cables are
overhead via poles, i have not seen a green cabinet but it may not be at
the roadside here

The BT checker number lookup should tell you a cabinet number, or
whether your line is EO (exchange only).

http://dslchecker.bt.com

although as it is a very rural area with not many
properties it may be at or near the exchange.

To try and find the cabinet, do a number lookup here

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

then follow the "Locality or Use" link and then the "All nn Fibre
Cabinets" link, then the link for your Cabinet Number, the green dots
will be roughly the centres of postcode areas served by that cabinet,
then have a look on StreetView somewhere in the middle to try and spot
it ...

Old January 1st 15, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ash burton

On 01/01/2015 14:17, Andy Burns wrote:
ash burton wrote:

The exchange is about 2 km distant and the existing telephone cables are
overhead via poles, i have not seen a green cabinet but it may not be at
the roadside here

The BT checker number lookup should tell you a cabinet number, or
whether your line is EO (exchange only).

http://dslchecker.bt.com

although as it is a very rural area with not many
properties it may be at or near the exchange.

To try and find the cabinet, do a number lookup here

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

then follow the "Locality or Use" link and then the "All nn Fibre
Cabinets" link, then the link for your Cabinet Number, the green dots
will be roughly the centres of postcode areas served by that cabinet,
then have a look on StreetView somewhere in the middle to try and spot
it ...

OK it seems 'my' green cabinet is about 100 meters away using those links.

Old January 1st 15, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

ash burton wrote:

OK it seems 'my' green cabinet is about 100 meters away using those links.

Assuming the new fibre cabinet is nearby the old phone cabinet (and it
would be unusual for it not to be) then I'd expect you to get 60-80Mbps
on fibre ...

Old January 1st 15, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ash burton

On 01/01/2015 14:54, Andy Burns wrote:
ash burton wrote:

OK it seems 'my' green cabinet is about 100 meters away using those
links.

Assuming the new fibre cabinet is nearby the old phone cabinet (and it
would be unusual for it not to be) then I'd expect you to get 60-80Mbps
on fibre ...

Thanks for that. Ash

Old January 1st 15, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

ash burton wrote:

The exchange is about 2 km distant and the existing telephone cables are
overhead via poles, i have not seen a green cabinet but it may not be at
the roadside here

The BT checker number lookup should tell you a cabinet number, or
whether your line is EO (exchange only).

http://dslchecker.bt.com

although as it is a very rural area with not many
properties it may be at or near the exchange.

Or there may not be one at all. In rural areas a fair number of lines go
straight to the exchange with no cabinet at all. My nearest cabinet is
further from me than the exchange so I have no chance of FTTC.

To try and find the cabinet, do a number lookup here

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

then follow the "Locality or Use" link and then the "All nn Fibre
Cabinets" link, then the link for your Cabinet Number, the green dots
will be roughly the centres of postcode areas served by that cabinet,
then have a look on StreetView somewhere in the middle to try and spot
it ...

OK it seems 'my' green cabinet is about 100 meters away using those links.

You are laughing then unless the cable to you is corroded aluminium.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown