Problem with my broadband

Old January 1st 15, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Mack

Default Problem with my broadband

I'll describe my setup first, then the problem.

I get my broadband from Plusnet and it comes down the phone wire to a master socket in the hall. I've replaced the front of my master socket with a dual faceplate from Clarity which has two sockets, one for phone and one for modem cable (smaller socket).

This means I don't need filters as it's done at the socket. I have a cable going from the back of the faceplate up to my bedroom where the computer is.. There's a socket there with another small socket into which the cable to my router goes. The router is connected to the computer via a Cat 5 cable. It's all be working fine for years.

I now suddenly find I can't access the internet on my computer and I can't access via wi-fi on my tablet or mobile.

The lights on the router all look OK.

I've taken the router downstairs and plugged it into the small socket on the master faceplace and it works fine. I therefore concluded that the problem is somewhere between the faceplate and my router.

I've re-made the IDC connections in the cables that link the master socket to the socket upstairs (the cable has not been nibbled by animals!), I know the flex from router to socket is OK and I've swapped the Cat 5 cable.

I'm left thinking the problem must be in the faceplate or the "module" or whatever it's called into which the cable upstairs is attached in the socket there?
Old January 1st 15, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 12:08:41 -0800 (PST), Jonathan Mack
wrote:

[...]

With the router upstairs you should still be able to log into the
routers local web interface and see some line stats etc.

If you unplug the line, do the lights change in any way?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 2nd 15, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 01/01/2015 20:08, Jonathan Mack wrote:

[...]

When you say that the lights on the router look ok, do you mean that all
the usual ones - power, broadband, internet, wireless, etc. are all lit?
If so, I don't understand why you have a problem because it looks as
though everything is ok. PlusNet do occasionally have problems with some
of their gateways which prevent you from doing anything on line even
though you are connected - but this is invariably cured by disconnecting
and re-connecting. But this doesn't seem to be your problem.

As someone else has said, if you connect your computer to the router
with an ethernet cable, you should be able to talk to the router and
check its status even if there's no internet connection. Are you
familiar with doing that? [Point your browser at 192.168.1.254 and then
log on using username = admin and password = router serial number (see
the label on the bottom of the router)]

If you then click on 'Broadband Connection' in the menu on the left, it
should display two panels showing the state of the DSL Connection and of
the Internet session.

Have a look at those and tell us what they say.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old January 2nd 15, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Mack

Thanks for those responses gents

Just after I'd posted my query I took the router downstairs to plug it into the master socket and I fitted an old USB Wi-Fi adaptor into the computer - so I can now go online on my computer but I'm connected to the router via Wi-Fi rather than via a Cat 5 cable.

As for logging into the router, I am familiar with that process although I've not done it lately. I did however go to a command prompt and type ping 8..8.8.8 to which the response was that it timed out and said "no response" or words to that effect.

Now when I do my pinging exercise I get a successful result - but I guess that's what we'd expect as I can now access the internet.

Old January 2nd 15, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Jonathan Mack wrote:
Thanks for those responses gents

Just after I'd posted my query I took the router downstairs to plug it into the master socket and I fitted an old USB Wi-Fi adaptor into the computer - so I can now go online on my computer but I'm connected to the router via Wi-Fi rather than via a Cat 5 cable.

As for logging into the router, I am familiar with that process although I've not done it lately. I did however go to a command prompt and type ping 8.8.8.8 to which the response was that it timed out and said "no response" or words to that effect.

Now when I do my pinging exercise I get a successful result - but I guess that's what we'd expect as I can now access the internet.

Logging into the router is absolutely the very first diagnostic test you
should try. You should learn how to do this so that it is second-nature.

You should also have a long Ethernet cable so you can connect to the
router even when it is downstairs (temporarily, obviously) - this will
avoid any probem if the WiFi is not working.

The router will show you:

a) whether it has sync - it should show the upload and download speeds,
SNR margin, and loop attenuation. It may also show error rates.

b) whether it has authenticated successfully with the ISP - it should
show the public IP address currently allocated, and give an indication
of how long the connection has been up.

You should be able to relate the lights on the router to the status
reported by the router's internal web page. Sometimes there are icons
beside the lights - learn what these mean. There may be some
documentation that came with the router ...

If you tell us the make and model of the router that will help us.

From your initial description it seems that the connection between the
back of the filtered faceplate and the socket in the bedroom is probably
faulty. So we need to know more about this.

Looking at the back of the filtered faceplate: how many connectors are
there, and how are they labelled? Which of these connectors are used by
the wire leading to the bedroom?

In the bedroom, please describe the socket which receives the wire from
the filtered faceplate. Does it have a rectanguler connector into which
you could plug a standard BT phone? Or does it have some other sort of
socket? If it has a standard BT phone connector can you plug a wired
phone into it, and make & receive calls?

You describe another component as "another small socket". Is this a
separate item, or is it part of the socket in the bedroom? Does it have
anything written on in?

Was any of the wiring leading to the bedroom, and the sockets there -
was any of this installed by an Openreach engineer? If not, who
installed it?

--
Graham J

Old January 2nd 15, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Murmansk

Hi Graham

Your efforts here are much appreciated

I took the router back upstairs with a view to doing the tests, set it all up again and what would you know, it works fine now!

It'll probably carry one working for another four years now!

I did the original wiring myself using a socket like this

https://claritybroadband.co.uk/clxcart/RJ45-Module.html

and I fitted the cables using a proper 10 tool not the usual 50p disposable plastic one!

I'll see how it goes for now and go back to doing the tests if it misbehaves again, and thanks again for your help

Old January 2nd 15, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Murmansk wrote:
Hi Graham

Your efforts here are much appreciated

I took the router back upstairs with a view to doing the tests, set it all up again and what would you know, it works fine now!

It'll probably carry one working for another four years now!

I did the original wiring myself using a socket like this

https://claritybroadband.co.uk/clxcart/RJ45-Module.html

and I fitted the cables using a proper 10 tool not the usual 50p disposable plastic one!

I'll see how it goes for now and go back to doing the tests if it misbehaves again, and thanks again for your help

Well, that is a novel way of doing it!

What you haven't told us about is the cable running from the back of the
faceplate filter to this socket in your picture, and which cores in this
cable were wired to which connections in the faceplate filter.

Nor have you told us anything about the adapter you used between this
RJ45 socket and the wire from the router.

Having said all that, you could simplify things (and therefore make
everything more reliable), as discussed below:

1) Note that the cable from your router terminates in a RJ11 plug.

2) Normally the RJ11 plugs directly into the "router" socket of the
fitered faceplate. But this socket will actually take a standard RJ45
plug. It may not look like it, and many people here will accuse me of
lying; but every one of these faceplate filters I've ever seen will in
fact take a RJ45 plug.

3) It follows that you can carry the signal from the "router" socket of
the fitered faceplate using a standard RJ45 extension cable. You can
make one of these up, provide you have both special tools. You already
have the punchdown tool for the module you've pictured; but you will
need the tool for fitting the patch cable into the RJ45 plug. So remove
your cable from the back of the faceplate filter and fit the RJ45 plug
to it. For your installation you should use solid core cable (i.e. not
stranded) since this is the only type that will work correctly in the
punchdown blocks at the back of your RJ45 module. If you have used
stranded cable that may account for your intermittent problem. You
should connect all 8 cores - that way you can test the cable with any of
the standard testers.

4) Reassemble the faceplate filter onto the BT backplate, and plug your
newly made extension into its "router" socket. At the bedroom end the
RJ45 module now carries exactly the same signal as the socket on the
faceplate filter, and it therefore follows that you can plug the RJ11
connector directly into it.

You can achieve the same effect without using any special tools. Simply
buy a ready-made (and therefore tested) patch cable of the required
length and install it between the faceplate filter and the bedroom.
Also buy a back-to-back RJ45 connector like the one he

http://www.qvsdirect.com/cat5e-certi...HMtA odl0IANw

(The URL is long and wraps the lines, so copy it into a text editor to
reassemble it.)

Use this between the RJ45 plug on the extension, and the RJ11 from the
router.

--
Graham J

Old January 2nd 15, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Murmansk

Thanks for all that

The extension I have is as found he

https://claritybroadband.co.uk/clxca...nsion-Kit.html

I was led to believe it's exactly the kind of thing Openreach would install? It has solid core wires and terminals A and B in the filtered faceplate go to terminals 3 and 4 upstairs.
Old January 2nd 15, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Murmansk

Nor have you told us anything about the adapter you used between this
RJ45 socket and the wire from the router.

It goes straight into the socket - no adaptor needed!
Old January 2nd 15, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

But you wrote:

"There's a socket there with another small socket into which the cable
to my router goes."

I took that to mean two separate sockets!

However, what you have is virtually what I described.

--
Graham J