Vigor unreliability batch problem ???

Old January 5th 15, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default Vigor unreliability batch problem ???

Two Vigor V2830n routers:

Serial number = 123002019902
Order Date = 11/07/2012

Serial number = 123002019147
Order date = 12/06/2012

Both show exactly the same unreliable connection; the connection can
stay up for as long as two hours, or fail every few minutes. Typical
syslog output looks like this:

174Dec 29 16:43:15 V2830n: ADSL_Status:[Mode=G.DMT States=SHOWTIME
UpSpeed=736000 DownSpeed=2272000 SNR=7 Atten=60 ]

174Dec 29 16:43:43 V2830n: ADSL_Status:[Mode=----- States=RESET
UpSpeed=0 DownSpeed=0 SNR=0 Atten=0 ]

174Dec 29 16:44:29 V2830n: ADSL_Status:[Mode=G.DMT States=SHOWTIME
UpSpeed=704000 DownSpeed=2272000 SNR=7 Atten=60 ]

I've tested these routers on three different phone lines, with two
different ISPs. One phone line shows:

Up speed = 736000
Down speed = 2272000
SNR Margin = 6
Attenuation = 60

The second phone line is at the same address, and shows similar figures.

The third phone line is on a different exchange, at a shorter distance
away, and shows:

Up speed = 448000
Down speed = 7168000
SNR Margin = 7
Attenuation = 43

The routers normally in use at these locations are Vigor 2830 bought
during 2013.

Is this a known ageing problem for this model of router? (I have much
older V2600, V2800, and V2820 routers still working fine.)

Has anybody who bought one around the middle of 2012 seen a similar problem?

--
Graham J

Old January 5th 15, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

Could be bad capacitors, heat related ?

I also have a 2600VG 100% reliable - until I mess with it ...

Dave.

Old January 5th 15, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Dave wrote:

"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

Possible, I suppose.

Serial number = 123002019147 has been used all its life in a kitchen, on
top of a cupboard. Unlikely to have been warmer than 30 C, good air
circulation. A new router in that location works well.

Serial number = 123002019902 was in a locked cupboard, but was taken out
of service about a year ago at the same time as Openreach attended to
fix a faulty line. It had been replaced with another router as part of
testing, but because the line had been faulty the router itself was not
suspected. The fault only came to light when using it as a substitute
for a faulty router elesewhere.

--
Graham J

Old January 5th 15, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Graham J" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

Could be a duff batch of caps, might be worth while having a look inside for
any bulging, leaking. Or if your brave, testing with an ESR meter
I had ADSL a filter go this way with bad caps. Seems weird though about
being 755 serial numbers apart, could also ask Draytek if they've had any
other problems with them.

Dave.

Old January 5th 15, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Monday, 5 January 2015 10:20:13 UTC, Graham J wrote:
[...]

We had one. It lasted three or four years. Nothing wrong with the caps, but a nearby lightening strike and inadequate surge protection did for the Ethernet ports, although much of the rest still worked.
Old January 11th 15, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Toby[_2_]

On 05/01/2015 10:20, Graham J wrote:
[...]

Are you using the same PSU on them both - if so, could that be the problem?

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply
Old January 12th 15, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Toby wrote:

[snip]

Is this a known ageing problem for this model of router? (I have much
older V2600, V2800, and V2820 routers still working fine.)

Has anybody who bought one around the middle of 2012 seen a similar
problem?

Are you using the same PSU on them both - if so, could that be the problem?

No - of course not !

--
Graham J

Old January 12th 15, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Graham J wrote:
Two Vigor V2830n routers:

Both show exactly the same unreliable connection; the connection can
stay up for as long as two hours, or fail every few minutes.

Running the latest firmware? If not it's definitely worth trying. With the
exception of a 2710 we've found that Vigor routers are usually rock solid.

Chris
Old January 13th 15, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Chris Davies wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Two Vigor V2830n routers:

Both show exactly the same unreliable connection; the connection can
stay up for as long as two hours, or fail every few minutes.

Running the latest firmware? If not it's definitely worth trying. With the
exception of a 2710 we've found that Vigor routers are usually rock solid.

Chris

Latest firmware - also three other versiona suggested by SEG technical
support - all ive the same unreliability.

--
Graham J