BT Fault Charges if fault is on customer wiring

Old January 12th 15, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

Default BT Fault Charges if fault is on customer wiring

Line went dead remote testing said fault was on customer premises...

This is more out of curiosity since the real fault was actually located
today by the field engineer as external break on the drop leg from the
BT pole to the house so no charge. Strong winds last Friday did for it.
Bad wire replaced and all is well again.

But given the spiel about £129.99 callout fee if the fault is inside the
home I wondered what happens if the fault really is internal. Do they
just charge you a straight £130 for the repair or is it that plus time
and materials (or do they go away again pocketing your dosh).

Is it relevant that the internal wiring in question was original BT
handiwork dating from the late 1960's? Lozenge shaped screw terminal box
on the incoming windowsill and no recognisable "master socket".

Now has a shiny new modern master socket as well for good measure.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 12th 15, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I think it's a standard charge regardless of the work involved.

These days if the fault is within the curtilage of your property it's
charged. So if your line break was somewhere along the length of the
dropwire - perhaps where it chafed against a tree on your land - then
potentially you could have been charged.

Certainly the standard charge is made if you ask for relocation of your
master socket. I asked for this in order to prepare for some building
work - the BT technician had to run a new dropwire and drill a hole
through a brick wall, so it took him over half an hour.

For BT the materials cost is trivial - it's all technician time & travel.

I think when ordering it I may have been asked to confirm that the
relocation was within the same building.

--
Graham J

Old January 12th 15, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Murray

Graham J writes:

These days if the fault is within the curtilage of your property it's
charged. So if your line break was somewhere along the length of the
dropwire - perhaps where it chafed against a tree on your land - then
potentially you could have been charged.

When did that change? It was always that the master socket was the
demarcation point and anything on the exchange side of that was BT's
responsibility (and therefore not chargeable) and anything the other
side was the subscriber's responsibility.
Old January 12th 15, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 12/01/2015 15:05, Graham J wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
Line went dead remote testing said fault was on customer premises...

[snip]

But given the spiel about £129.99 callout fee if the fault is inside the
home I wondered what happens if the fault really is internal. Do they
just charge you a straight £130 for the repair or is it that plus time
and materials (or do they go away again pocketing your dosh).

I think it's a standard charge regardless of the work involved.

These days if the fault is within the curtilage of your property it's
charged. So if your line break was somewhere along the length of the
dropwire - perhaps where it chafed against a tree on your land - then
potentially you could have been charged.

I thought it was their responsibility up the the master socket (or
beyond in the event that the entire wiring run is original old GPO).

I can see that they might charge you if your tree damaged their line.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 12th 15, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I googled and found this:

http://www.bt.co.uk/pricing/current/...-1393_d0e1.htm

The relevant text appears to be:

"Full-rate charges apply to:

(a) Call-outs to repair faults or damage associated with BT's
network services, including any Network, Cabling, Dropwire or
underground feeds within a customer's curtilage up to and including the
Network Terminating Point, and to repair faults in BT on-site equipment
(or to replace such equipment at BT's discretion). "

--
Graham J

Old January 12th 15, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

But above that:

• Full-rate charges - Where the fault is found not to be with any BT
service or equipment. In particular this covers the situation where no
fault is found, or the fault is found to be on non-BT equipment, or is
due to damage caused by someone other than BT or someone at the
customer's premises, or due to theft, loss or removal of equipment, or in
the case of customer owned or rented equipment (but not BT's network)
faults caused by damage by external or environmental factors (e.g.
lightning, electrical surges or floods

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old January 13th 15, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim.....

"Graham J" wrote in message
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

they might try and con you into paying

that certainly isn't the rule and they wouldn't win if they pressed it

tim

Old January 13th 15, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

An intermittent fault on their side is often diagnosed as no fault
found in the first instance.
Can they bill you for that? (Rhetorical)

They may well try, so beware.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 20th 15, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:38:42 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Martin Brown disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

I can see that they might charge you if your tree damaged their line.

As trees have a tendency to grow, could not BT still be liable for the
repair.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.
Old January 21st 15, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

reverie and wrote:

I can see that they might charge you if your tree damaged their line.

As trees have a tendency to grow, could not BT still be liable for the
repair.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.

As it is in the end users garden surely they should endeavor to make sure
that the tree is cut back/pruned in order to not damage their service?