DLM question

Old January 28th 15, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default DLM question

I have an ADSL service provided by Demon (now owned by Vodafone).

The router normally reports:

Up speed 736k
Down speed 2272k
SNR margin 6db
Loop loss 60db

Over the past few weeks I have been testing some unreliable routers on
this line. These routers sometimes re-sync every few minutes, but never
stay in sync for longer than about 2 hours. The issue is now understood
and discussed elsewhere.

Not surprisingly the DLM has altered the line performance and the
original router now reports:

Up speed 672k
Down speed 1152k
SNR margin 15db
Loop loss 61db

This is to be expected.

I have completed the testing of the faulty routers, and for 4 days have
had the original reliable router connected, and this has maintained sync
for the whole time without a break.

But it still reports the same slow speed and SNR margin.

How long is it likely to take for the DLM to recognise that the line is
reliable, and to increase its speed?

Is there anything I can do to encourage it?

If I have to ring Vodafone, is there anybody there who will understand
the request to reset the BRAS profile so that the DLM starts to retrain
from scratch?

--
Graham J

Old January 28th 15, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 28/01/2015 12:32, Graham J wrote:
[...]

If you disconnect and allow it to resync in the mid afternoon when
available SNR is at its best then you might get out of the mad house.

I am a bit surprised how high your uplink speed is on that 60dB lossy
line - I can only get 448k even though my downlink will sync at ~5M.

If I have to ring Vodafone, is there anybody there who will understand
the request to reset the BRAS profile so that the DLM starts to retrain
from scratch?

It may just need a resync of your modem to get it back to normal now.
Three days without any line drops should be enough to take the SNR
margin down by 3dB @ faster sync rate. Mine sits at an annoying 12dB on
a much less lossy line due to local line noise. There is a rule of thumb
on Kitz as to how long you need to wait for DLM to adjust.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 28th 15, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:

[snip]

It may just need a resync of your modem to get it back to normal now.
Three days without any line drops should be enough to take the SNR
margin down by 3dB @ faster sync rate. Mine sits at an annoying 12dB on
a much less lossy line due to local line noise. There is a rule of thumb
on Kitz as to how long you need to wait for DLM to adjust.

Tried a resync - no effect.

One of the things Kitz suggests is a complete disconnection for at least
30 minutes, provided the line has been up for a few hours. I might
disconnect it overnight when I'm not using it ...

--
Graham J

Old January 28th 15, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:09:24 +0000, Graham J
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

[snip]

It may just need a resync of your modem to get it back to normal now.
Three days without any line drops should be enough to take the SNR
margin down by 3dB @ faster sync rate. Mine sits at an annoying 12dB on
a much less lossy line due to local line noise. There is a rule of thumb
on Kitz as to how long you need to wait for DLM to adjust.

Tried a resync - no effect.

One of the things Kitz suggests is a complete disconnection for at least
30 minutes, provided the line has been up for a few hours. I might
disconnect it overnight when I'm not using it ...

IME target SNR margin can take ages to lower. I would ask your ISP to
reset it.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old January 28th 15, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Martin Brown wrote:

I am a bit surprised how high your uplink speed is on that 60dB lossy
line - I can only get 448k even though my downlink will sync at
~5M.

448 is the old home user capped rate.

If your exchange doesn't have adsl2 then that's why (in theory you could
pay more and get 882 IIRC).

If it does have adsl2 then some ISPs don't uncap unless you ask.

Old January 29th 15, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Mark
writes
wrote:

One of the things Kitz suggests is a complete disconnection for at least
30 minutes, provided the line has been up for a few hours. I might
disconnect it overnight when I'm not using it ...

IME target SNR margin can take ages to lower. I would ask your ISP to
reset it.

It took 30 days here for it to sort itself out after a few changes, I
was just about to brave the unhelpful desk when the rate came back in
huge leaps every night, logged by the router as momentary disconnections
between 2 & 3am.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Old January 31st 15, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory

[...]

It my experience with BT it could take months to change and it could
take months to get to speak to someone who even understands what BRAS is
so that they can refuse to reset it for you.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old January 31st 15, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Brian Gregory wrote:
[snip]

It my experience with BT it could take months to change and it could
take months to get to speak to someone who even understands what BRAS is
so that they can refuse to reset it for you.

I've heard that the only way is to ask for a Migration Code - you then
get put through to somebody who asks what the problem is, and can
resolve it.

--
Graham J