1500 octet MTU with TG582n on FTTC ?

Old January 29th 15, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default 1500 octet MTU with TG582n on FTTC ?

Am I right in my belief (helped by Wireshark) that the TG582n router on
FTTC can't negotiate a 1500 octet MTU ?

I've not seen the PPP-Max-Payload option being sent in PADI and PADR
packets - maybe I haven't got the right magic in the config, or maybe
firmware v10.2.0.B doesn't support RFC4638 ?

(Not that I'm on FTTC, I've just been experimenting with an external ADSL
modem with the TG582n and seeing how tweakable the MTU is).
Old January 29th 15, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Andrew Benham wrote:
Am I right in my belief (helped by Wireshark) that the TG582n router
on FTTC can't negotiate a 1500 octet MTU ?

I've not seen the PPP-Max-Payload option being sent in PADI and PADR
packets - maybe I haven't got the right magic in the config, or
maybe firmware v10.2.0.B doesn't support RFC4638 ?

(Not that I'm on FTTC, I've just been experimenting with an external
ADSL modem with the TG582n and seeing how tweakable the MTU is).

I got one of those from plusnet - it was useless though = after some
time would add latency in strange ways until ppp - so I guess contrack
table was toggled.

I didn't ever get round to looking what it ran/cli stuff.

I do now do ppp on an old PC and use mini-jumbos - if the 582n uses the
same ppp code as I do on my Linux box then it won't send a PADI with -
[PPP-max-payload 05 dc} unless you have set mtu on the eth to = 1508.

Of course you need to set 1500 in your config as well.

The question may become can you set MTU 1500, on gig eth yes, but on
100mbit you really need somebody like OpenWRT to have modified the
driver for you. I am assuming Linux here - don't know about anything
else - on my 14 yo PC with E100 nics I did the mod myself, and by luck
alone it worked with the specific h/w I have (on board + an ancient
compaq 2 eth card).