Alternative routing

Old January 31st 15, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Alternative routing

I'm am starting to get a tad cheesed off with VM and there perpetual
price rises and fiddling with packages. I have phone (increase £1 and
which we don't use) and broadband (increase £2) but because I have TV
as well (FTA and free if you have phone and B/B - again which we
rarely use) I am classed as a package and that has increased by £1 as
well so what should have been a £3 increase is actually £4. Hence I am
up to £32 a month which is where I was when I complained about the
cost and they gave me a £8 'loyalty discount.' The full rate if I
didn't have the discount and package would be a few pence short of
£50!!

So I am looking at other possibilities, the leads being PlusNet,
AAISP, or Zen - or any others that the committee would suggest.
However to get the best package I would assume I have to move phone to
them as well, which begs the question of do they permit alternative
routers as BT do now?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old January 31st 15, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Woody wrote:
[...]

The three ISPs you mention all allow you to use any router of your
choice. If you ask they will supply one, and help you configure it.

But moving the phone line does not affect the choice of router.

The type of router depends on how the broadband service is supplied. In
some areas Virgin supply broadband via co-ax ("Cable") so you require a
specific modem or router for that service; and you could not necessarily
use that router for ADSL over a copper pair.

Virgin might supply you with a telephone service that does not use a
copper pair connected to the BT infrastructure.

It follows you could have a phone service via one of any number of
suppliers which is delivered over a copper pair connected to the BT
infrastructure; and another phone service from a "cable" supplier (such
as Virgin) which is delivered via some other sort of wiring.

The three ISPs you mention are all "quality" suppliers and are not
necessarily the cheapest; but you will get a sensible level of support
from a UK-based call centre where everybody speaks English (though
sometimes with a regional accent).

--
Graham J

Old January 31st 15, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews[_2_]

On 31/01/2015 11:55, Woody wrote:
[...]

Like you I am with VM and have a TV service and phone that I don't use
(it's cheaper that way!). I assume you are also in a VM area as you
have TV. I've stuck with VM because I get 50M and the best I can get
from other suppliers is about 18M - the VM broadband is also very
reliable, I've had it since circa 1999 and I don't think it's failed
more than half a dozen times and only once for more than 24 hours when I
needed a replacement VM cable modem.

Another thought if you have a VM phone which isn't provided over the BT
network you may(?) incur a new installation charge if you switch as you
will need a line provided by Openreach.

Peter
Old January 31st 15, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
[...]

No, I still have and use a BT line, and I too have only ever had two
outages - one on Boxing Day for about 10 hours maybe a decade ago and
one a couple of years ago when a car demolished a street cab at the
top of our road.

I think you may have been on B/B in 1999 but with another non-absorbed
organisation. I was one of the original beta testers on dial-up
NTLWorld in around 1999-2000 and on an early B/B rollout. I am also on
50M and BTOR suggests my limit speed is 17M but FTTC is imminemt here
so who knows. A frield down the road is on BT B/B and gets 39M
according to Speedtest.net and he's only paying £19 a month!

Old January 31st 15, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Graham J" wrote in message
Woody wrote:
[...]

Oops!

By alternative routers I meant alternative (telephone) call routers
such as 18185 etc.

Old January 31st 15, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Woody wrote:
"Graham J" wrote in message
Woody wrote:
[...]

I didn't think your question made much sense, but I didn't want to
criticise your understanding of cable/ADSL routers so I tried to
explain. Now you've said you meant call routers you original question
seems much more reasonable, and no, I can't answer it.

--
Graham J

Old January 31st 15, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Woody" writes:
[...]

The alternative phone routing is only on BT. It was a requirement
imposed on them because they were the incumbant supplier.

AAISP phone service is VoIP over the broadband. The physical line
they use to provide broadband is only for the broadband - you can't
make any chargable calls on it directly. (Don't know how that
compares with Zen and Plusnet.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old January 31st 15, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In message , Woody
writes

[...]

But if he has his phone from BT he will be paying over the odds for it
compared to the price if he didn't have broadband from BT.
--
bert
Old January 31st 15, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:29:53 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"Graham J" wrote in message
Woody wrote:
[...]

I knew what you meant by alternative routing.

After deregulation I was in the industry that installed a lot of
alternative carrier routers, or tweaked the programming of customers
PABXs to achieve the same result.

We called it LCR, Least Cost Routing, but as the work was sponsored by
the alternative supplier, that was a little disingenuous, as some
calls might not be cheaper than BT.

Typically, a few months down the line the customer would strike a
better deal to come back to BT, and the same third-party engineer
would return to reverse the work he did last time.

I am not proud to have been a part of that, it entailed being
economical with the truth with the customers.

So ACR Alternative Carrier Routing is a better term than LCR, pity it
also means Antonymous Call Rejection.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 31st 15, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"bert" ] wrote in message
In message , Woody
writes

[...]

Sorry Bert, could you rephrase that. I'm not quite sure what you mean
by the last line.