Eliminating the phone line

Old February 1st 15, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
AnthonyL

Default Eliminating the phone line

How practical is it to eliminate the phone line and what should
replace it?

I'm out in the sticks so ADSL delivers 1.5Mbps on a good day. I'm
with BT at the moment and I'm in the last 3 months of a 12 month deal.
Exchange has no LLU.

We have about 3 or 4 devices using the router, mainly wireless. We
have a couple of mobile phones (one Android one still on 2G).

Outgoing POTS calling is low. Incoming is moderate (more so with
unwanted calls).

ADSL download usage approx 25Gb/month.

We do have wireless internet available but it is expensive.

Options? Cost effectiveness? Other things to consider?

Thanks

--
AnthonyL
Old February 1st 15, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
kráftéé

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
How practical is it to eliminate the phone line and what should
replace it?

I'm out in the sticks so ADSL delivers 1.5Mbps on a good day. I'm
with BT at the moment and I'm in the last 3 months of a 12 month deal.
Exchange has no LLU.

We have about 3 or 4 devices using the router, mainly wireless. We
have a couple of mobile phones (one Android one still on 2G).

Outgoing POTS calling is low. Incoming is moderate (more so with
unwanted calls).

ADSL download usage approx 25Gb/month.

We do have wireless internet available but it is expensive.

Options? Cost effectiveness? Other things to consider?

Thanks

Well you've answered your own question haven't you.

DSL requires a copper path so there is no way you can have it without a line
but you are lucky enough to have a Wireless connection available (not
everybody in the 'sticks' is that lucky) which you are ruling out because of
the expense.

Old February 1st 15, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
7

AnthonyL wrote:

How practical is it to eliminate the phone line and what should
replace it?

I've not had one for minimum last 15 years.
Mobile phones have been 100% effective replacement and have
helped me out from a lot of problem situations compared to any other
competing technology.

I'm out in the sticks so ADSL delivers 1.5Mbps on a good day. I'm
with BT at the moment and I'm in the last 3 months of a 12 month deal.
Exchange has no LLU.

I use PAP2 and VoIP provider like Localphone.
Plenty of other gadgets and service providers.

We have about 3 or 4 devices using the router, mainly wireless. We
have a couple of mobile phones (one Android one still on 2G).

Outgoing POTS calling is low. Incoming is moderate (more so with
unwanted calls).

ADSL download usage approx 25Gb/month.

We do have wireless internet available but it is expensive.

Options? Cost effectiveness? Other things to consider?

Localphone also allows permanent numbers in your area
to be sent to your PAP2 (or other similar devices).
So it works like a land line number.

Since its VoIP you can purchase numbers in Spain, EU,
and most countries across the globe. It for example
gives your parents a local Spanish number if they live in Spain
to ring you and it will be whisked to your PAP2 wherever you
are in the world.

Many other service providers nowadays do similar technology
- so shop around for best deals, particularly if involving
Far East or US.

Old February 1st 15, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:29:12 on Sun, 1 Feb 2015,
Chris remarked:
Options? Cost effectiveness? Other things to consider?

I think wired is your only option, but BT probably isn't the
cheapest. I'd recommend plusnet as a cheaper alternative.

Yes, the only option is to find a BT reseller, one of whose offerings
you can game (given your particular usage pattern) to be cheaper than
the plain vanilla BT.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 1st 15, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Invalid

In message , Chris
writes
(AnthonyL) Wrote in message:
How practical is it to eliminate the phone line and what should
replace it?

I'm out in the sticks so ADSL delivers 1.5Mbps on a good day. I'm
with BT at the moment and I'm in the last 3 months of a 12 month deal.
Exchange has no LLU.

We have about 3 or 4 devices using the router, mainly wireless. We
have a couple of mobile phones (one Android one still on 2G).

Outgoing POTS calling is low. Incoming is moderate (more so with
unwanted calls).

ADSL download usage approx 25Gb/month.

With that amount of usage, i don't see mobile broadband as a
viable alternative. You don't say whether you have 3/4G
available?

We do have wireless internet available but it is expensive.

Options? Cost effectiveness? Other things to consider?

I think wired is your only option, but BT probably isn't the
cheapest. I'd recommend plusnet as a cheaper alternative.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Given the OP's position (no LLU) he is almost certainly going to be on a
Market 1 exchange. Plusnet is not a particularly good deal on Market 1
exchanges. They are outside what they call their "low cost area" and you
pay £5-7+/month extra on top of their headline rates.

That said the service & support is good - just not as cheap as it might
appear.
--
Invalid
Old February 1st 15, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Roger Mills

On 01/02/2015 17:22, Invalid wrote:

Given the OP's position (no LLU) he is almost certainly going to be on a
Market 1 exchange. Plusnet is not a particularly good deal on Market 1
exchanges. They are outside what they call their "low cost area" and you
pay £5-7+/month extra on top of their headline rates.

Is there anyone who's significantly cheaper than PN on Market 1 exchanges?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 1st 15, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
tony sayer

In article , Chris
scribeth thus
(AnthonyL) Wrote in message:
[...]

Or Zen we use them for some lines out in the sticks A UK call centre.
OK if you call Oldham that, if thats not too far north of Watford;!..

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voi...-services.aspx

--
Tony Sayer

Old February 1st 15, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 13:16:46 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
How practical is it to eliminate the phone line and what should
replace it?

I'm out in the sticks so ADSL delivers 1.5Mbps on a good day. I'm
with BT at the moment and I'm in the last 3 months of a 12 month deal.
Exchange has no LLU.

We have about 3 or 4 devices using the router, mainly wireless. We
have a couple of mobile phones (one Android one still on 2G).

Outgoing POTS calling is low. Incoming is moderate (more so with
unwanted calls).

ADSL download usage approx 25Gb/month.

We do have wireless internet available but it is expensive.

Options? Cost effectiveness? Other things to consider?

Thanks

--
AnthonyL

It is plausible, but there are caveats.

You can use 3G or 4G instead of DSL. The speed is fine where I am (urban), but can be much lower or non existent in the sticks. Moreover the cost could be much higher if you can't find a package with a high or no limit.

You land line number can be ported to VOIP, so no problem there (better even, you can appear to call from / receive calls at home when you are not actually there)

If you are really remote have a look at satellite, at least for the down link.