3G SIMs

Old February 8th 15, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default 3G SIMs

There has recently been threads on here about buying multiple (3?)
data-only SIMs at very good prices for 1Gb data, then just throwing
them away when they run out. Was it Expensive World or Argos?

I've just got an unlocked 3G mi-fi unit cheaply and need a SIM or SIMs
to put in it. We will be away in our caravan shortly for a few weeks
on a site that has 3 nearby but has only 2G O2 coverage (I'm on GG.)
As we shall be there for a couple of weeks (daughter expecting) it
would be useful to have 3 access if I can for e-mails etc.

Anyone help?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 8th 15, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 08/02/2015 17:59, Woody wrote:
There has recently been threads on here about buying multiple (3?)
data-only SIMs at very good prices for 1Gb data, then just throwing
them away when they run out. Was it Expensive World or Argos?

I've just got an unlocked 3G mi-fi unit cheaply and need a SIM or SIMs
to put in it. We will be away in our caravan shortly for a few weeks
on a site that has 3 nearby but has only 2G O2 coverage (I'm on GG.)
As we shall be there for a couple of weeks (daughter expecting) it
would be useful to have 3 access if I can for e-mails etc.

Anyone help?

Sadly, they don't seem to be available at a good price at the moment. I
bought several last year from Currys when they were 2.99 and then some
more from Amazon at 3.99 just before Christmas. But I've just done a
trawl round the internet, and can't find any for less than about 8 quid.
I suppose that may be acceptable to some people - since to top them up
when they run out, rather than getting a new one, costs a tenner - but
when you've been used to paying 3 quid for them . . .

They come in 3 physical sizes - standard, micro, and nano. Mine are all
standard. What size does your MiFi device need? I doubt whether I shall
use all of mine before they go out of fashion - especially (as discussed
in other threads) if I can get away with tethering a PAYG SIM. So I
might be prepared to part with one or two if you care to make an offer.
[My email address *does* work].
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 9th 15, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 08/02/2015 17:59, Woody wrote:
There has recently been threads on here about buying multiple (3?)
data-only SIMs at very good prices for 1Gb data, then just throwing
them away when they run out. Was it Expensive World or Argos?

They appear on Amazon (and elsewhere) in promotional deals now and then.
I generally go for the Three 3G/90d ~20 since that gives the best price
when no deal is on - although Oranges 2G/30d 9 or 6G/90d ~15 is better
if their SIM deal is still on. Both I think on Amazon.

Three is the only carrier with 3G where I live.

I've just got an unlocked 3G mi-fi unit cheaply and need a SIM or SIMs
to put in it. We will be away in our caravan shortly for a few weeks
on a site that has 3 nearby but has only 2G O2 coverage (I'm on GG.)
As we shall be there for a couple of weeks (daughter expecting) it
would be useful to have 3 access if I can for e-mails etc.

Anyone help?

Worth checking the Orange coverage since their prices are now lower
although ISTR there is a trick to making the SIM behave itself. I think
you have to register with Orange or something before it will play.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 9th 15, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 09/02/2015 08:27, Martin Brown wrote:
On 08/02/2015 17:59, Woody wrote:
There has recently been threads on here about buying multiple (3?)
data-only SIMs at very good prices for 1Gb data, then just throwing
them away when they run out. Was it Expensive World or Argos?

They appear on Amazon (and elsewhere) in promotional deals now and then.
I generally go for the Three 3G/90d ~20 since that gives the best price
when no deal is on - although Oranges 2G/30d 9 or 6G/90d ~15 is better
if their SIM deal is still on. Both I think on Amazon.

I tend to buy disposable sims for my tablets. I go for whatever looks
most attractive on Amazon at the time. For a while now, it's been the EE
(Orange) SIMs that expire after 90 days. They're 4G but should work
without problems in a 3G device.

Looks to have increased in price since I bought one last month mind you.
I paid 14.99 - http://users.plus.net/QL:010D8104

Old February 9th 15, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Thanks for the input Bob. Unfortunately where we will be going the
only near site is 3 - else I would use my GiffGaff PAYG which permits
tethering but 2G is, shall we say, somewhat slow.