New Plusnet Router

Old February 8th 15, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Tardis Repair Man

Default New Plusnet Router

I am thinking of switching from Sky to Plusnet. I have quite a few
devices with fixed IP addresses.

The gateway address of my Sky router is 192.168.1.1

AIUI the gateway address of the Plusnet Router is 192.168.1.254

Now I could alter the gateway settings in all my devices but it would be
easier to alter the Plusnet router to 192.168.1.1

Is this easy to do and would doing so have any consequences?

Any other comments on Sky v Plusnet would be welcome!
Old February 8th 15, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"The Tardis Repair Man" wrote in message
I am thinking of switching from Sky to Plusnet. I have quite a few
devices with fixed IP addresses.

The gateway address of my Sky router is 192.168.1.1

AIUI the gateway address of the Plusnet Router is 192.168.1.254

Now I could alter the gateway settings in all my devices but it
would be easier to alter the Plusnet router to 192.168.1.1

Is this easy to do and would doing so have any consequences?

Any other comments on Sky v Plusnet would be welcome!

It is probably one of the few influences that BT have had on PlusNet -
all BT routers are supplied with 254 as the default address.

There is no reason why you should not change it to ..... 1.1 as it is
on your side of the router anyway. However if you have to reset it
then don't forget it will default to 254.

If the Sky router works OK why not just continue to use that? All you
will need is your username and password inside the router - which PN
should be able to give you - and it should work.

If you want a better router cheapish try the BT HomeHub4r at £29.99
from Expensive World. It has the advantage of being dual band if you
can use it.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 9th 15, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 08/02/2015 18:39, The Tardis Repair Man wrote:
I am thinking of switching from Sky to Plusnet. I have quite a few
devices with fixed IP addresses.

The gateway address of my Sky router is 192.168.1.1

AIUI the gateway address of the Plusnet Router is 192.168.1.254

Now I could alter the gateway settings in all my devices but it would be
easier to alter the Plusnet router to 192.168.1.1

Is this easy to do and would doing so have any consequences?

It is easy, and I did the same in my set up, where I use 192.168.7.1

BTW You can't enter different (or any) log on details into a Sky Router,
Sky use MAC based authentication

--
Mark
Old February 9th 15, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 10:03:45 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 08/02/2015 18:39, The Tardis Repair Man wrote:
I am thinking of switching from Sky to Plusnet. I have quite a few
devices with fixed IP addresses.

The gateway address of my Sky router is 192.168.1.1

AIUI the gateway address of the Plusnet Router is 192.168.1.254

Now I could alter the gateway settings in all my devices but it would be
easier to alter the Plusnet router to 192.168.1.1

Is this easy to do and would doing so have any consequences?

It is easy, and I did the same in my set up, where I use 192.168.7.1

BTW You can't enter different (or any) log on details into a Sky Router,
Sky use MAC based authentication

What router(s) do Sky use now? I bought an ex-Sky DG834GT and
reflashed the firmware and it was fine for Plusnet.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old February 10th 15, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote:

On 08/02/2015 18:39, The Tardis Repair Man wrote:
I am thinking of switching from Sky to Plusnet. I have quite a few
devices with fixed IP addresses.

The gateway address of my Sky router is 192.168.1.1

AIUI the gateway address of the Plusnet Router is 192.168.1.254

Now I could alter the gateway settings in all my devices but it would be
easier to alter the Plusnet router to 192.168.1.1

Is this easy to do and would doing so have any consequences?

It is easy, and I did the same in my set up, where I use 192.168.7.1

BTW You can't enter different (or any) log on details into a Sky Router,
Sky use MAC based authentication

What router(s) do Sky use now? I bought an ex-Sky DG834GT and
reflashed the firmware and it was fine for Plusnet.

They're now using a more in-house pre-configured router, not the good old
Netgear.

Sorry I can't tell you more but I just make sure they're working and then
leave.

Old February 11th 15, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ureds

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 10:03:45 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

BTW You can't enter different (or any) log on details into a Sky Router,
Sky use MAC based authentication

There is a username & password configured in the new Sky 'Hubs' which it
uses for authentication, but you can't get to it via the router. By using
wireshark & sniffing the traffic when it negotiates a connection you can
extract the username & password for use in a non Sky Router.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdcsmYX7eEQ

This was true of one I got from them a year ago, don't know if it's changed
since.

As for Plusnet, slightly slower connection speed 18500 vs 20000ish,
excellent customer service & their hold music is all Yorkshire themed.

No need to use their router either.
Old February 11th 15, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

ureds wrote:
: There is a username & password configured in the new Sky 'Hubs' which it
: uses for authentication, but you can't get to it via the router. By using
: wireshark & sniffing the traffic when it negotiates a connection you can
: extract the username & password for use in a non Sky Router.

Unless it is changed recently the Sky Router just has to have an appropriate
password for the username (ie there is an algorithm which connects the two).
So replacing the username AND password with those obtained from any Sky
Router should also work!

Old February 23rd 15, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

The Tardis Repair Man wrote:
I am thinking of switching from Sky to Plusnet.

Been there, done that. Don't forget to look for the PlusNet deals;
there have been some very good ones recently via places such as
TopCashBack. (Ping me, please, if you'd like a referral.)

The gateway address of my Sky router is 192.168.1.1
AIUI the gateway address of the Plusnet Router is 192.168.1.254

Now I could alter the gateway settings in all my devices but it would be
easier to alter the Plusnet router to 192.168.1.1

I changed mine fairly easily (it's not an obvious option). You can also
assign MAC/IP settings in the router so that you can give your internal
devices DHCP leases but have them given fixed IP addresses. The advantage
is "central management".

Chris