what cause this FTTC fault?

Old February 11th 15, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed

Default what cause this FTTC fault?

This is a question more out of curiosity than anything. A colleague today
had his Plusnet service converted from ADSL to FTTC. Openreach turned up
and provided a modem, and Plusnet had posted out a router. The upshot is
that the modem is in sync, but the router reports an un routable 172.x.x.x
public IP address and a single DNS server starting 62.

Naturally no traffic passes to the Internet. A call to Plusnet had me
change the PPPoE credentials from something already preprogrammed into the
router to the user's standard username and password, but to no avail. The
tech support guy gave up at that point and said he would have to report it
as a fault, and it might take up to 72 hours (!) to resolve. So I'm
presuming something somewhere has not been set up correctly in either the
cab or at the exchange. I'm curious to know why the issue might be.

Bit of a shame that what ought to be a straightforward conversion did not
go to plan.
Old February 11th 15, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 11/02/2015 19:04, Tweed wrote:
I'm curious to know why the issue might be.

Bit of a shame that what ought to be a straightforward conversion did not
go to plan.

It sounds as if router is not authenticating with Plusnet's domain, it's
unlikely anything is wired up incorrectly anywhere in the house or local
cabinet.

You could try connecting a PC or laptop directly to the modem, and
creating a PPPoE log on using the PN details in network settings, but
be careful, because that could expose the PC to an unfirewalled internet
if it's own firewall is not up to scratch. It would however confirm,
that all is OK, apart from the router.

--
Mark
Old February 11th 15, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 11/02/2015 19:04, Tweed wrote:
This is a question more out of curiosity than anything. A colleague today
had his Plusnet service converted from ADSL to FTTC. Openreach turned up
and provided a modem, and Plusnet had posted out a router. The upshot is
that the modem is in sync, but the router reports an un routable 172.x.x.x
public IP address and a single DNS server starting 62.

I assume that you *are* connecting the LAN1 port on the modem to the
router's red port - and not some other combination?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 11th 15, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed

Roger Mills wrote:
On 11/02/2015 19:04, Tweed wrote:
This is a question more out of curiosity than anything. A colleague today
had his Plusnet service converted from ADSL to FTTC. Openreach turned up
and provided a modem, and Plusnet had posted out a router. The upshot is
that the modem is in sync, but the router reports an un routable 172.x.x.x
public IP address and a single DNS server starting 62.

I assume that you *are* connecting the LAN1 port on the modem to the
router's red port - and not some other combination?

Yes. The router's web status pages are showing a WAN address, which differs
from the LAN address range. But yes, you are right to point out the
obvious.

I was wondering if it's something that needs to be configured in the cab's
systems. My understanding of the back haul between the cab and the exchange
is, to put it mildly, shaky, but I thought there were a series of virtual
pipes back to the ISP's equipment. Presumably the correct virtual pipe has
to be configured?
Old February 11th 15, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed

Mark Carver wrote:
On 11/02/2015 19:04, Tweed wrote:
I'm curious to know why the issue might be.

Bit of a shame that what ought to be a straightforward conversion did not
go to plan.

It sounds as if router is not authenticating with Plusnet's domain, it's
unlikely anything is wired up incorrectly anywhere in the house or local cabinet.

You could try connecting a PC or laptop directly to the modem, and
creating a PPPoE log on using the PN details in network settings, but
be careful, because that could expose the PC to an unfirewalled internet
if it's own firewall is not up to scratch. It would however confirm, that
all is OK, apart from the router.

Actually Plusnet suggested doing that. Unfortunately that also failed.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old February 11th 15, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Tweed wrote:

the modem is in sync, but the router reports an un routable 172.x.x.x
public IP address and a single DNS server starting 62.

That's exactly what happened to PPP sessions when there was the major
authentication problem on the 30th Jan, I presume somehow you get
hooked-up to the wrong ISP?

Old February 11th 15, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 11/02/2015 20:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Tweed wrote:

the modem is in sync, but the router reports an un routable 172.x.x.x
public IP address and a single DNS server starting 62.

That's exactly what happened to PPP sessions when there was the major
authentication problem on the 30th Jan, I presume somehow you get
hooked-up to the wrong ISP?

Or no ISP, the 172.xxxxx address is BT Openreach

--
Mark
Old February 11th 15, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Tweed wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

You should be able to try several different configurations of the
username and password in the Plusnet router, or indeed any other router
with an Ethernet WAN connection. For example:

Username = [email protected]_domain
Password = no password required
You should be able to open the site http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo. This
will prove that the PPPoE traffic is leaving your router and getting to
BT's local Radius server.

Username = [email protected]_domain
Password = no password required
You should be able to open the site http://speedtester.bt.com - and
measure performance. Again it confirms connection to the BT Radius server.

Username = [email protected]_connnection_pipe
Where your_connection_pipe is the bit after the @ symbol in your ADSL
login, probably plusdsl.net
Password = no password required
This confirms that the BT Radius server is passing your login to the
Plusnet Radius server. It should give you an IP address, but it may be
unroutable.

Finally:
Username =
Password = the password agreed between you and Plusnet when you set up
the service.

All this is stuff the Plusnet technical support desk should have been
able to help with - and the results would have led to some sort of
resolution.

Please tell us what happens when you try all these tests.

--
Graham J

Old February 11th 15, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Tweed wrote:

the modem is in sync, but the router reports an un routable
172.x.x.x public IP address and a single DNS server starting 62.

That's exactly what happened to PPP sessions when there was the
major authentication problem on the 30th Jan, I presume somehow you
get hooked-up to the wrong ISP?

Or no ISP, the 172.xxxxx address is BT Openreach

Yea, though being pedantic I think it's BT Wholesale rather than Openreach.

Every time you connect there is a two stage process where you auth with
a BT server then again with a Plusnet one.

If Plusnets servers are unresponsive then you get a 172.x.x.x from BT
that drops after 10 minutes normally. Historically at least, trying to
browse would get a page from BT saying something along the lines of it's
not us but your ISP that's broken.

I guess BT PPP servers also won't pass on to Plusnets if something
hasn't been set up properly associating your line or username with them.
Old February 12th 15, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Tweed wrote:

the modem is in sync, but the router reports an un routable
172.x.x.x public IP address and a single DNS server starting 62.

That's exactly what happened to PPP sessions when there was the
major authentication problem on the 30th Jan, I presume somehow you
get hooked-up to the wrong ISP?

Or no ISP, the 172.xxxxx address is BT Openreach

Yea, though being pedantic I think it's BT Wholesale rather than Openreach.

It's the Wholesale walled garden and as people have alluded to, it
suggests that the circuit is authenticating with BT but not Plusnet.

It could be something to do with the account at our side, or a problem
with the provisioning. TBH, it's far more likely to be the former
(although the latter isn't out of the question).