Virgin network expansion

Old February 13th 15, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Andy Burns[_2_]

Default Virgin network expansion

Virgin Media have announced expansion of their network to cover 4
million additional premises over the next 5 years.

http://about.virginmedia.com/press-release/9467/virgin
Old February 13th 15, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:26:01 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Virgin Media have announced expansion of their network to cover 4
million additional premises over the next 5 years.

http://about.virginmedia.com/press-release/9467/virgin

I don't see any indication of where these 4 million extra premises
will be. Are they just hoping to plant a few more green boxes and sign
up more customers in areas already within reach of an internet
service, or are they going to extend their network to rural areas that
will benefit most because they currently have no services at all?

If it's the latter, they should make more of it in their press
releases, because it's something that will make a real difference.

Rod.
Old February 13th 15, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eastender[_2_]

wrote:

Virgin Media have announced expansion of their network to cover 4
million additional premises over the next 5 years.

http://about.virginmedia.com/press-release/9467/virgin

I don't see any indication of where these 4 million extra premises
will be. Are they just hoping to plant a few more green boxes and sign
up more customers in areas already within reach of an internet
service, or are they going to extend their network to rural areas that
will benefit most because they currently have no services at all?

The expansion will mostly be in cities in areas where cable has not be
laid, such as parts of east London, I heard this morning.

I wish though they'd sort upgrades to existing customers first - we've
had capacity issues in our area for two years, and before that another
capacity issue that took at leats 18 months to address.

E.

Old February 13th 15, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://about.virginmedia.com/press-release/9467/virgin

I don't see any indication of where these 4 million extra premises
will be.

The press release itself doesn't say, the BBC seem to be interpreting it
as "not rural", which I suppose from a commercial PoV is likely to be
true. It might only amount to extending to new housing estates that have
been built since they did their main build-out, and filling in any
suburban gaps in their existing coverage areas.

The hope has to be that at the end of the 5 years, they see it as having
been worthwhile, and continue the expansion ...

Old February 13th 15, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Roderick Stewart (for it is he) wrote:

I don't see any indication of where these 4 million extra premises
will be. Are they just hoping to plant a few more green boxes and sign
up more customers in areas already within reach of an internet
service,

They'll just stick an AP in each of their green cabs and call it a day :-)

or are they going to extend their network to rural areas that
will benefit most because they currently have no services at all?

I don't know any more than what I heard on the 30s news item on the Today
programme this morning, but I would say that David Cameron is more likely to
select something by "Passenger of ****" on Desert Island Discs, than Virgin
Media are to start building out their network into rural areas.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:23:48 up 109 days, 4:56, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.54, 0.55

Old February 13th 15, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

alexd wrote:

I would say that David Cameron is more likely to
select something by "Passenger of ****" on Desert Island Discs, than Virgin
Media are to start building out their network into rural areas.

Didn't hear much after the initial puff about Virgin trialling fibre
strung from BT telegraph poles to allow installation of rural cabinets,
did a trial even take place (Wales?)

Old February 13th 15, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 13/02/2015 18:37, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

Unfortunately, now the government has paid BT to install FTTC in many rural
areas, the demand for cable is likely to be so small it will never be
economic.

Angus

Indeed. And if you've already got FTTC, would cable offer anything extra
- apart from a bit of competition to keep the price down?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 13th 15, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 13/02/2015 18:37, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

Unfortunately, now the government has paid BT to install FTTC in
many rural
areas, the demand for cable is likely to be so small it will never
be
economic.

Angus

Indeed. And if you've already got FTTC, would cable offer anything
extra - apart from a bit of competition to keep the price down?
--

Well yes, - a lot of speed. FTTC will generally go to about 76Mb or
more often 38Mb. VM cable starts at 50Mb (actually more like 53Mb) and

Whatever happens you will always get more speed with a coax feed than
any form of DSL. The only way of getting significantly more is FTTP.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 13th 15, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_2_]

On 13/02/2015 13:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Roderick Stewart wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://about.virginmedia.com/press-release/9467/virgin

I don't see any indication of where these 4 million extra premises
will be.

The press release itself doesn't say, the BBC seem to be interpreting it
as "not rural", which I suppose from a commercial PoV is likely to be
true. It might only amount to extending to new housing estates that have
been built since they did their main build-out, and filling in any
suburban gaps in their existing coverage areas.

The hope has to be that at the end of the 5 years, they see it as having
been worthwhile, and continue the expansion ...

There is a link

http://virginmedia.com/cablemystreet

where you can register an interest
Old February 13th 15, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in
message . co.uk...

Virgin Media, or rather it's numerous predecessor companies, did cable
what
most people would consider rural areas, like Stroud in Gloucestershire.
But ultimately they had X to invest in digging trenches (they were never
allowed to fly cables, even where BT does), and X goes further in urban
areas with houses closer together, so they got done first.

Unfortunately this is not true as there are still areas in Nottingham where
Virgin is still fed overhead, along with BT/Openreach.