BT Home Hub 5 Connections

Old February 13th 15, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Naylor[_2_]

Default BT Home Hub 5 Connections

Hi,

I have just received my new Home Hub 5 to use as I have now upgraded to a
Fibre connection (at last), however the new Hub has 4 Gigabit ports rather
than the 4 x 100 Mbit ports that were on my old Belkin router, are these new
connections backwardly compatible so I can still use the 100 Mbit card in my
pc until I can upgrade it?

Thanks

Graham

Old February 13th 15, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Graham Naylor" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just received my new Home Hub 5 to use as I have now upgraded
to a Fibre connection (at last), however the new Hub has 4 Gigabit
ports rather than the 4 x 100 Mbit ports that were on my old Belkin
router, are these new connections backwardly compatible so I can
still use the 100 Mbit card in my pc until I can upgrade it?

Ethernet will always operate at the mutually fastest rate of the
connection, so if you connect 10Mb at one end to 1Gb at the other it
will run at 10Mb.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 13th 15, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Humphrey

Woody wrote:
Ethernet will always operate at the mutually fastest rate of the
connection, so if you connect 10Mb at one end to 1Gb at the other it
will run at 10Mb.

Almost always, but we do have some switches at work with 1G only uplink
ports - they won't drop down to a lower speed. It can catch you out if
you connect a 100M device into it by mistake. Anything that's intended
for plugging end-user devices into, though, will have the full set of
speeds available.

Mike