A plain vanilla FTTC router.

Old February 18th 15, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Default A plain vanilla FTTC router.

After my experiences using BTs' Home Hub 5 and having to phone up the (non)
support desk virtually every other day over the last week (latest one
arrived and was plugged in at aprox 14:00, went faulty by 23:00, same day)
does anybody know of any plain vanilla FTTC routers.

I don't need wifi, got that already covered.

I don't require a Firewall, I've got that covered also.

So all I need is a basic unit with a couple (well only one really) of
ethernet ports, gigabit would be nice but 100base would be more realistic.

With the HH5 I just turn everything off and make the one connection DMZ, so
anything more would just be pouring money away.

TIA

Old February 18th 15, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 18/02/2015 22:14, Kraftee wrote:
After my experiences using BTs' Home Hub 5 and having to phone up the
(non) support desk virtually every other day over the last week (latest
one arrived and was plugged in at aprox 14:00, went faulty by 23:00,
same day) does anybody know of any plain vanilla FTTC routers.

I don't need wifi, got that already covered.

I don't require a Firewall, I've got that covered also.

So all I need is a basic unit with a couple (well only one really) of
ethernet ports, gigabit would be nice but 100base would be more realistic.

With the HH5 I just turn everything off and make the one connection DMZ,
so anything more would just be pouring money away.

TIA

Billion 8800nl is about the cheapest.
Old February 18th 15, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Kraftee wrote:

all I need is a basic unit with a couple (well only one really) of
ethernet ports

Why not just use a VDSL modem (surely you can lay your hands on a HG612)
in bridged mode with PPPoE on your existing firewall?

Old February 18th 15, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Kraftee wrote:
After my experiences using BTs' Home Hub 5 and having to phone up the
(non) support desk virtually every other day over the last week (latest
one arrived and was plugged in at aprox 14:00, went faulty by 23:00,
same day) does anybody know of any plain vanilla FTTC routers.

I don't need wifi, got that already covered.

I don't require a Firewall, I've got that covered also.

So all I need is a basic unit with a couple (well only one really) of
ethernet ports, gigabit would be nice but 100base would be more realistic.

With the HH5 I just turn everything off and make the one connection DMZ,
so anything more would just be pouring money away.

The fact that several devices have failed suggests that there is another
problem. What you need is a device with some diagnostic capability.

For example the Vigor 2860 will show you the sync speed, SNR margin, and
error rate of the VDSL circuit, and is a proper router as well.

Or the Vigor 120 will show you the VDSL parameters and provide a LAN
connection to your exisiting Ethernet router, but you have to leave a
computer conencted directly to it in order to monitor the VDSL parameters.

--
Graham J

Old February 19th 15, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Or the Vigor 120 will show you the VDSL parameters

The Vigor 120 is several years old and ADSL only, excellent for what it did
but useless for FTTC. When I got FTTC I just unplugged the router cable
from my 120 and into the Openreach supplied VDSL2 modem and I was back
online before the engineer got back from the cabinet.

There is a new Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL modem that works with FTTC, and is able
to display line stats while working normally with various Vigor routers
(the 120 needed to be disconnected from the router to display line stats).
Unfortunately the Vigor 130 is very expensive at £95.

Sorry - I stand corrected.

--
Graham J

Old February 20th 15, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Kraftee wrote:

all I need is a basic unit with a couple (well only one really) of
ethernet ports

Why not just use a VDSL modem (surely you can lay your hands on a HG612)
in bridged mode with PPPoE on your existing firewall?

I must admit I didn't think about that and lets face it there are lots of
them laying around not being used as the 3 main players are now supplying,
what is laughingly called, 'super routers'.

That's a project I can look into next week. Will still have to keep a HH5
in reserve for when problems arise (they won't even contemplate a visit on a
fault if you haven't got the correct kit plugged in, even if you can prove
the problem using the test gear which 'they' supply (yes I have had that
experienced, I could test it faulty and they stated it wasn't, only took 2-3
hours to find and fix the HR, many thanks to an understanding boss).

I've booked marked the Wordpress web page which appears to be the one to
read.

Many thanks for showing me the answer, when it was right under my nose, well
sitting on the shelf ready to be used as an 'emergency' backup for when the
third HH5 falls over. Don't knock it though it has lasted 24 hours now so
may just be a good one ;-)

Old February 20th 15, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Graham J" wrote in message
Kraftee wrote:
[...]

The supposed problem with the HH5 (or so I've been told by der management)
is the construction of the plugin wall wart. Personally I think there may
(also ?) be a problem with a firmware build as I have noticed the 2 'new'
ones have a lot more flexibility in configuration than the older one which
had lasted just short of 12 months, which is a lot better than 9 hours,
which the first replacement lasted (no I didn't bother to try and compare
builds, maybe I should have, I know)

As for diagnostics if you know where to look most can be found if you are
willing to dig through the clunky web page format and any others I may want
I can find out (if I was really needing them) by using my trusty JDSU

Old February 20th 15, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in
message . co.uk...
Or the Vigor 120 will show you the VDSL parameters

The Vigor 120 is several years old and ADSL only, excellent for what it
did
but useless for FTTC. When I got FTTC I just unplugged the router cable
from my 120 and into the Openreach supplied VDSL2 modem and I was back
online before the engineer got back from the cabinet.

There is a new Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL modem that works with FTTC, and is able
to display line stats while working normally with various Vigor routers
(the 120 needed to be disconnected from the router to display line stats).
Unfortunately the Vigor 130 is very expensive at £95.

I spent a lot more getting my system running smoothly on the older DSL2,
which is one of the reasons why I've ended up with the stand alone firewall
and when I started to build up a large ITunes library I started to use Apple
Airport system (dual banded of course), using multiple units to get the
signal around this 3 story concrete construction

At one stage I had to have a electronic time switch to switch off the router
every 47 hours and 50 minutes. If I didn't, no matter what router was being
used, D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, Cisco etc (all paid for out of my own
pocket) would lock up and require a reboot anyway. I had got to the stage
where BT was pointing the finger at the ISP and the ISP to BT (oh those were
the gory days).

If the kit does the job well and doesn't cause any problems ( no stress no
agro) a couple of £100s is cheap it's just that I didn't want to buy an
expensive piece of kit with dual band wifi, IP6, firewall etc etc if I'm
just going to turn them all off and just use the basic functions.

But one of the earlier posters has pointed me to a resource which is readily
available and will slot straight into my existing network for very little
cost and giving me something to play with during these dark and damp
evenings.

Old February 21st 15, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Kraftee wrote:

Andy Burns wrote

Why not just use a VDSL modem in bridged mode with PPPoE on your
existing firewall?

That's a project I can look into next week.

In preparation for the switch from ADSL to FTTC (soon, no really!) I've
done the same with my openWRT/cisco8XX combination, should be literally
a case of unplug the cisco and plug the Huawei (or ECI if that's what
they have on the van).

You'll need to tinker with baby-jumbo frames if you want to keep 1500
byte MTU, the modem should be good for it, depends on your firewall
allowing it ...