Fibre broadband modem

Old February 19th 15, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ash burton

Default Fibre broadband modem

I am considering changing my broadband from ADSL to FTTC.

I understand that Openreach (or BT Wholesale) will provide a fibre
broadband modem, my question is does this modem have to be connected at
the master telephone socket in my property or can it be connected to any
telephone extension outlet. ( I have been unable to find the master
telephone outlet as yet).

TIA Ash

Old February 19th 15, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Ash Burton wrote:
I am considering changing my broadband from ADSL to FTTC.

I understand that Openreach (or BT Wholesale) will provide a fibre
broadband modem, my question is does this modem have to be connected at
the master telephone socket in my property or can it be connected to any
telephone extension outlet. ( I have been unable to find the master
telephone outlet as yet).

Yes it has to be connected at the master socket.

If you can't find the master socket the Openreach installation engineer
will find it for you, and might be persuaded to rearrange any wiring as
necessary.

If you take FTTC from BT they will supply an integrated router (some
flavour of home hub) which contains the FTTC modem. If you want a
proper router, then any other ISP will simply arrange for Openreach to
provide the FTTC connection and their (probably Huwei) FTTC modem; you
can then use the Ethernet router you prefer. Some routers (e.g. Vigor
2860) contain a dual-purpose ADSL/VDSL modem, so you can monitor the
VDSL line state.

--
Graham J

Old February 19th 15, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_3_]

Graham J wrote:
Ash Burton wrote:
[...]

In my case, the master socket was in the right place, and the Openreach
installer updated it to the latest socket. But after it was all installed,
the line quality was poor, so he completely replaced and re-routed the
cable from the entry to the property to the socket. That improved the
quality, but the HomeHub 5 still wouldn't perform reliably, as I'm a long
way from the cabinet. A second installer was then sent, and he put in the
Huwei FTTC modem, with the HH5 then just acting as the router. I now get
over 50mbps.
Old February 19th 15, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 19/02/2015 12:07, Ash Burton wrote:
I am considering changing my broadband from ADSL to FTTC.

I understand that Openreach (or BT Wholesale) will provide a fibre
broadband modem, my question is does this modem have to be connected at
the master telephone socket in my property or can it be connected to any
telephone extension outlet. ( I have been unable to find the master
telephone outlet as yet).

TIA Ash

Openreach will replace your existing master socket with a new one with
built-in filters, and two outlet sockets - one for broadband and one for
phones. The modem needs to be connected directly or indirectly to the
broadband socket. If you don't want your modem to be installed
physically close to the master position, you'll need to get OR to
install (or DIY it) a dedicated (unfiltered) extension socket in a
location of your choosing. This is unlikely to be without cost.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 19th 15, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Roger Mills wrote:

: Openreach will replace your existing master socket with a new one with
: built-in filters, and two outlet sockets - one for broadband and one for
: phones.

This is no longer necessarily true!!

An increasing number of ISPs (including BT for their 38Mbps service)
are just using the EXISTING wiring with filtered extension sockets
(exactly like ADSL).

For these you will get a modem (or integrated modem/router for the likes
of BT and Sky) and will plus it into the existing house wiring on the
appointed date!

Old February 19th 15, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ash burton

On 19/02/2015 17:20, Brian Mc wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

: Openreach will replace your existing master socket with a new one with
: built-in filters, and two outlet sockets - one for broadband and one for
: phones.

This is no longer necessarily true!!

An increasing number of ISPs (including BT for their 38Mbps service)
are just using the EXISTING wiring with filtered extension sockets
(exactly like ADSL).

For these you will get a modem (or integrated modem/router for the likes
of BT and Sky) and will plus it into the existing house wiring on the
appointed date!

That would be ideal for my situation as i have many built-in extension
telephone outlets wired from the as yet unlocated master socket and
wiring them all back to a new one would be inconvenient to say the least.

I am not likely to use Sky or BT, so i might be in with a chance of
getting the set up you have described. Thanks

Ash

Old February 19th 15, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

I got a slight but noticeable improvement in speed on ADSL when I
replaced the faceplace myself, so I would imagine it would make a
bigger difference to VDSL, which uses even higher frequencies.

The phones are behind the low-pass filter and the modem/router sits
directly on the line, so it doesn't matter that VDSL uses higher
frequencies than ADSL, it still sees anything above approx 3kHz and the
phone doesn't.

My mate who's 37 years in the job with BT reckons the original "engineer
fit" ADSL faceplate gives equally good results with FTTC, compared to
the VDSL interstitial plate.

Old February 19th 15, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 19/02/2015 19:02, Andy Burns wrote:
Roderick Stewart wrote:

I got a slight but noticeable improvement in speed on ADSL when I
replaced the faceplace myself, so I would imagine it would make a
bigger difference to VDSL, which uses even higher frequencies.

The phones are behind the low-pass filter and the modem/router sits
directly on the line, so it doesn't matter that VDSL uses higher
frequencies than ADSL, it still sees anything above approx 3kHz and the
phone doesn't.

My mate who's 37 years in the job with BT reckons the original "engineer
fit" ADSL faceplate gives equally good results with FTTC, compared to
the VDSL interstitial plate.

Curiously when my folks had a problem with a noisy line, as part of the
investigation the engineer removed the ADSL faceplate filter I'd fitted
in 2005, and replaced it with a VDSL plate. (That wasn't causing the
problem BTW, it was a dodgy joint on the overhaed line)

--
Mark
Old February 19th 15, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 19/02/2015 18:19, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Ideally you should have the modem as close as practicable to the point
where the phone cable enters the house, to minimise the length of
cable carrying the VDSL signal,

Why? Unless you live somewhere the size of Buck House - with the cabinet
right outside your door - the internal wiring is going to be very short
compared with the cabinet to premises wiring.
--
Cheers,
Roger