BT Homehub 5

Old February 24th 15, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Barnicoat

Default BT Homehub 5

As this router has a USB socket on it that someone in this group says is
open to Wi-Fi, does this mean
I should be able to connect my non Wi-Fi Canon IP4700 printer to it and
print from my desktop connected by network cable
and my Ipad which of course is Wi-Fi connected.

Thanks

Dave

Old February 24th 15, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tuesday, 24 February 2015 14:55:39 UTC, Dave Barnicoat wrote:
As this router has a USB socket on it that someone in this group says is
open to Wi-Fi, does this mean
I should be able to connect my non Wi-Fi Canon IP4700 printer to it and
print from my desktop connected by network cable
and my Ipad which of course is Wi-Fi connected.

Thanks

Dave

A USB drive in a HH5 is visible to Wi-Fi (whereas a drive in HH3 was not).

I have not tried plugging a USB printer in. What should however definitely work is a networked printer.
Old February 24th 15, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 17:06:02 +0000 (UTC), Brian Mc wrote:

: I have not tried plugging a USB printer in. What should however i
: definitely work is a networked printer.

I would very much doubt it!

USB ports on routers cannot be used for anything that needs its own device
driver (like a printer!!!!). The firmware in the router effectively nails
the functionality of these ports to work with very simple block structured
devices (USB sticks and similar) only!

My Technicolor TG582n can use it's USB port to drive a printer which
you can then connect to from other systems on your network.

See the CLI guide for the printersharing commands. A google search will
come up with various recipes including:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ce/gpH_e9BqgUc

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2