Shortly going from Sky fibre to Plusnet fibre

Old February 25th 15, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Shortly going from Sky fibre to Plusnet fibre

I use with Sky their Hub SR102 on its own and use all 4 of of its output
ports I see Plusnet do things completely different in that they still
use Technicolor router I used to use with Be ADSL

This means OR will fit a unit between it and the master socket using one
of the 4 ports.

So I will have only 3 ports available to me.

Any simple cheap ways of getting my 4th connection back?

Regards
David
Old February 25th 15, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"David" wrote in message
I use with Sky their Hub SR102 on its own and use all 4 of of its
output ports I see Plusnet do things completely different in that
they still use Technicolor router I used to use with Be ADSL

This means OR will fit a unit between it and the master socket using
one of the 4 ports.

So I will have only 3 ports available to me.

Any simple cheap ways of getting my 4th connection back?

A five port or eight port Cisco Gigabit switch from Expensive World.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search...-criteria.html

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 25th 15, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen[_2_]

In article:

David says...

Any simple cheap ways of getting my 4th connection back?

This is what I use:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171180740806

--
Ken O'Meara

List of UK hi-fi & audio dealers:
http://unsteadyken.esy.es/
Old February 25th 15, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 08:32:13 +0000, David wrote:

I use with Sky their Hub SR102 on its own and use all 4 of of its output
ports I see Plusnet do things completely different in that they still
use Technicolor router I used to use with Be ADSL

This means OR will fit a unit between it and the master socket using one
of the 4 ports.

So I will have only 3 ports available to me.

Any simple cheap ways of getting my 4th connection back?

Regards
David

just buy a Gigabit switch and cascade it to one of the router ports.

Have you got your MAC from Sky yet?

I was with BE ADSL2+ and was moved to Sky
Speed dropped, but no more than I expected
Suffered from occasional early morning disconnections since the
switch,
but what has done it for me, is last week they withdrew
smtp1.bethere.co.uk without warning, and I can't get my Raspberry Pi's
to send on their Yahoo server.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old February 25th 15, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message

In article:

David says...

Any simple cheap ways of getting my 4th connection back?

This is what I use:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171180740806

--

A hub slows things down as it broadcasts everything on every port
received from any port. A switch however 'learns' what addresses are

IME you will be unlikely to find any hub doing more than 100Mb and
most only do 10. Given that switches are so cheap why not add future
proofing and get a gigabit switch?

Old February 25th 15, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 25/02/2015 14:06, Graham. wrote:
.

Have you got your MAC from Sky yet?

My ordering with Plusnet told me they would take care of the transfer of
line and services for me and I was to do nothing. There was a note if
they were to require a MAC they would ask me to get one, so far they
haven't.

Plusnet have confirmed the same take over date of all the services, Sky
have confirmed cancellation as that date too.
So all looks in place.
Regards
David

Old February 25th 15, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

David wrote:
: My ordering with Plusnet told me they would take care of the transfer of
: line and services for me and I was to do nothing. There was a note if
: they were to require a MAC they would ask me to get one, so far they
: haven't.

You don't normally need a MAC if the new ISP is taking over the whole
line (including voice calls). MACs are for "Broadband only" transfers.

Old February 25th 15, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:04:57 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
l-september.org...

In article:

David says...

Any simple cheap ways of getting my 4th connection back?

This is what I use:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171180740806

--

A hub slows things down as it broadcasts everything on every port
received from any port. A switch however 'learns' what addresses are
on which port and routes them accordingly thus making everything
quicker.

IME you will be unlikely to find any hub doing more than 100Mb and
most only do 10. Given that switches are so cheap why not add future
proofing and get a gigabit switch?

It's unlikely to be a hub, more likley the seller used that word out
of ignorance.
Further down it's described as a 10/100 network switch with MDI/MDIX.

BT started this hub confusion, I think the first Home Hubs had built
in DECT and VoIP. The name must have seemed very appropriate to the
marketing people.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old February 25th 15, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote:

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
al-september.org...

In article:

David says...

[...]

Nah. There's always been confusion over the differences between a hub,
switch, and router for those who are 'network challenged.'

Old February 26th 15, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Another question now if I may.
Plusnet are suppling a Technicolor TG582n route which has one of the LAN
ports configured as a WAN port to receive the signal from the BT modem
I'm informed to make it ok for fibre with the BT modem.

I have in my loft 3 Thomson/Technicolor routers from Be (O2) will these
have this required port?
Be 585
TG587n
Be box V2

I believe the TG587n was a better unit only given to selected customers
for loyalty.
Plusnet users appear to think the Plusnet router TG582n is not up to much.

Thanks
David