Plunet router

Old March 1st 15, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default Plunet router

Does anybody know what router Plusnet now supplies? A neighbour has
recently signed up with them and would like to accept the router they
offer. However, so I can support him and maintain his existing LAN
arrangements the router needs to have:

LAN IP binding so specific devices can have reserved IP addresses.

Management from the WAN from a (short) list of specific IP addresses.

Any experience, please?

--
Graham J
Old March 1st 15, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 10:38:47 +0000, Graham J
wrote:

Does anybody know what router Plusnet now supplies? A neighbour has
recently signed up with them and would like to accept the router they
offer. However, so I can support him and maintain his existing LAN
arrangements the router needs to have:

LAN IP binding so specific devices can have reserved IP addresses.

Management from the WAN from a (short) list of specific IP addresses.

Any experience, please?

Is there any reason why they can't continue to use the device they
have now?

My ISP sent me a Thompson router that is still on the shelf in its
box.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old March 1st 15, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

wrote:

Does anybody know what router Plusnet now supplies? A neighbour has
recently signed up with them and would like to accept the router they
offer. However, so I can support him and maintain his existing LAN
arrangements the router needs to have:

LAN IP binding so specific devices can have reserved IP addresses.

Management from the WAN from a (short) list of specific IP addresses.

Any experience, please?

Is there any reason why they can't continue to use the device they
have now?

[snip]

Neighbour had a Netgear DGN1000 but it didn't maintain a reliable WiFi
connection with any of the family's iPads. Wired connection was
perfectly OK.

So I lent him a Vigor 2830n which works perfectly with all the iPads,
but of course it is unjustifiably expensive for his needs. Also, I want
the V2830n back because it is a spare for my commercial customers.

--
Graham J

Old March 1st 15, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 01/03/2015 10:38, Graham J wrote:
Does anybody know what router Plusnet now supplies? A neighbour has
recently signed up with them and would like to accept the router they
offer. However, so I can support him and maintain his existing LAN
arrangements the router needs to have:

LAN IP binding so specific devices can have reserved IP addresses.

Management from the WAN from a (short) list of specific IP addresses.

Any experience, please?

I'm about to start Plusnet fibre and I understand they issue a
Thomson/Tecnicolor TG582n but are changing over to Sagem 2704n. both
sound like very basic end of the market.
Regards
David
Old March 1st 15, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 01/03/2015 10:38, Graham J wrote:
Does anybody know what router Plusnet now supplies? A neighbour has
recently signed up with them and would like to accept the router they
offer. However, so I can support him and maintain his existing LAN
arrangements the router needs to have:

LAN IP binding so specific devices can have reserved IP addresses.

Management from the WAN

If he's a neighbour, can't you just log onto the WLAN ? :-)

--
Mark
Old March 1st 15, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Graham J
writes

Neighbour had a Netgear DGN1000 but it didn't maintain a reliable WiFi
connection with any of the family's iPads. Wired connection was
perfectly OK.

My lazy approach in the past has been to keep the wifi challenged router
and add an AP, the connection handling from the router was fine, it was
just the wifi that was suspect.

If he's a non-payer then it may be the simplest solution.

Apologies however for not answering your original question.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Old March 1st 15, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 01/03/2015 16:19, Mark Carver wrote:
On 01/03/2015 10:38, Graham J wrote:
Does anybody know what router Plusnet now supplies? A neighbour has
recently signed up with them and would like to accept the router they
offer. However, so I can support him and maintain his existing LAN
arrangements the router needs to have:

LAN IP binding so specific devices can have reserved IP addresses.

Management from the WAN

If he's a neighbour, can't you just log onto the WLAN ? :-)

Both Thomson routers which have been supplied to me by PlusNet (for two
different properties) can be configured for remote access fairly easily.
I don't know about limiting access to 2 or 3 IP addresses, but remote
access requires a username and password which are different from those
used for direct access. For a one-off fee, you can have a fixed WAN IP
address - or you can use one of free dynamic IP mapping services.

If you want each device on the LAN to have a specific IP address, surely
the easiest way is to turn off DHCP and configure the addresses into the
devices themselves.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 1st 15, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Mark Carver wrote:
On 01/03/2015 10:38, Graham J wrote:
Does anybody know what router Plusnet now supplies? A neighbour has
recently signed up with them and would like to accept the router they
offer. However, so I can support him and maintain his existing LAN
arrangements the router needs to have:

LAN IP binding so specific devices can have reserved IP addresses.

Management from the WAN

If he's a neighbour, can't you just log onto the WLAN ? :-)

Not that close - maybe quarter of a mile ...

--
Graham J

Old March 1st 15, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 01/03/2015 19:30, fred wrote:
In article , Graham J
writes

Neighbour had a Netgear DGN1000 but it didn't maintain a reliable WiFi
connection with any of the family's iPads. Wired connection was
perfectly OK.

My lazy approach in the past has been to keep the wifi challenged router
and add an AP, the connection handling from the router was fine, it was
just the wifi that was suspect.

If he's a non-payer then it may be the simplest solution.

Apologies however for not answering your original question.

The WiFi on one of my Thomson routers wasn't very reliable, so I turned
it off and used an AP in the vicinity of the router - plus power line
adapters with built-in WiFi in various strategic locations throughout
the house.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 2nd 15, 01:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 01/03/2015 16:19, Mark Carver wrote:
On 01/03/2015 10:38, Graham J wrote:
Does anybody know what router Plusnet now supplies? A neighbour
has
recently signed up with them and would like to accept the router
they
offer. However, so I can support him and maintain his existing LAN
arrangements the router needs to have:

LAN IP binding so specific devices can have reserved IP addresses.

Management from the WAN

If he's a neighbour, can't you just log onto the WLAN ? :-)

[snip]
If you want each device on the LAN to have a specific IP address,
surely the easiest way is to turn off DHCP and configure the
addresses into the devices themselves.

That is an interesting point, but if you think about it there is an
obvious answer. If any of those devices are used elsewhere (i.e.
portable) on another network it is very unlikely that (a) the same IP
range would be in use at the other place(s) and (b) even if it were
what chance your fixed address being free?

Equally if you turn off the DHCP it has to be at both ends - remote
equipment and router - to ensure that any visitor has not already been
allocated your fixed address.

No, the original is right - if you want to fix internal (NAT)
addresses on your system and make them reliable then fix them in the
router and leave the outside equipments to use DHCP then anything will
work anywhere.

Proof if you want it: a neighbour of mine uses a laptop and a wi-fi
printer. Quite often he would report that he could not print. The
issue was that he had switched his printer on before his laptop and
the DHCP in the router had reversed the two addresses. Not a problem
except that using what is effectively a network connected printer
requires a fixed IP address in Windoze or Windoze it will not know
where to send the document to be printed. Fixing the IP addresses
against MAC in the router cured the problem.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com