Useless HomeHub

Old March 7th 15, 09:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Useless HomeHub

Yesterday I was installing a pre loved upgraded computer at a friends
house. He has a BT HomeHub thing. I think it is anyway.

I got applingly unrelaible netork activity. On inspection I discovered
that this weird clamshell thing had 6 sockets on the back marked VDSL,
ADSL, 4 x '100' and one '1G'

Examination of the machine plugged into the 1G revealed that yes, it was
connected at gigabit Ethernet speed, but to what? Nothing else was
capable of matching that speed.

The cable was moved to 100Mbps and all issues vanished...

Online the only faint justification anyone could come up with was that a
file server at 1GPS could service 4 clients at 1000Mbpsd happily and
that might be the intention.

If the Ethernet had been reliable, that is.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old March 7th 15, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Saturday, 7 March 2015 09:57:38 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Yesterday I was installing a pre loved upgraded computer at a friends
house. He has a BT HomeHub thing. I think it is anyway.

I got applingly unrelaible netork activity. On inspection I discovered
that this weird clamshell thing had 6 sockets on the back marked VDSL,
ADSL, 4 x '100' and one '1G'

Examination of the machine plugged into the 1G revealed that yes, it was
connected at gigabit Ethernet speed, but to what? Nothing else was
capable of matching that speed.

The cable was moved to 100Mbps and all issues vanished...

Online the only faint justification anyone could come up with was that a
file server at 1GPS could service 4 clients at 1000Mbpsd happily and
that might be the intention.

If the Ethernet had been reliable, that is.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll

Which version of BT Hub. AFAIK the most they have is 4X100Mbps and one VDSL port using RJ45 sockets.

If the router is as you describe, then plug the PC into the 1G port and your printer, NAS, other PC's etc. into the other ports.
Old March 7th 15, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote in message
[...]

Or you could connect the Gig socket to a Giga switch, connecting all the
other kit to the switch.

The later models of the HH only have Gig sockets on the back so the point is
mute anyway.