A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Newsgroups at John Lewis



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 21st 15, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marmaduke Jinks
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

Hi group

I'm a newsgroup user via John Lewis Broadband. Their service is contracted to PlusNet. They have an agreement with Giganews for newsgroups. Periodically, I can't connect to those newservers and my client (Outlook Express) reports that it's not getting past authorisation. Pinging and tracert show a clear route through. I've reported it many times and their service desk reports no issue. Username and password aren't an issue I believe as it's the same combo I use for accessing mail. After a few days it clears up and I can get through authorisation. However, the denying access period has arrived.

I read on this newsgroup a while ago that Giganews had an issue with the ip addresses that an isp had bought and so wasn't allowing access.
Firstly, is anyone in this position with John Lewis or PlusNet?
Secondly, any views on why authorisation should otherwise fail?

MJ
  #2  
Old March 21st 15, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 210
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

Marmaduke Jinks wrote:

is anyone in this position with John Lewis or PlusNet?
Secondly, any views on why authorisation should otherwise fail?


I don't know about the John Lewis flavour of Plusnet, but on Plusnet
itself you don't need to authenticate to the Giganews servers, they
recognise you by IP address, if however you end up with too many NNTP
sessions they do start prompting for username/password, not that you can
successfully use your Plusnet credentials, you just need to kill-off
some sessions.

  #3  
Old March 21st 15, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marmaduke Jinks
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

On Saturday, 21 March 2015 11:45:30 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:

is anyone in this position with John Lewis or PlusNet?
Secondly, any views on why authorisation should otherwise fail?


I don't know about the John Lewis flavour of Plusnet, but on Plusnet
itself you don't need to authenticate to the Giganews servers, they
recognise you by IP address, if however you end up with too many NNTP
sessions they do start prompting for username/password, not that you can
successfully use your Plusnet credentials, you just need to kill-off
some sessions.


Ta. The newsgroup server settings require an account name/password. I know one other site I use for gambling sometimes says you are outside our jurisdiction (then I re-boot to get a new ip). It makes me a bit suspicious of the ip addresses that are available through my isp.

MJ
  #4  
Old March 21st 15, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 182
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

I use news.eternal-september.org to me it best to be independent of my
ISP just in case I transfer to another provider.
Regards
David
  #5  
Old March 21st 15, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

In article ,
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
Hi group

I'm a newsgroup user via John Lewis Broadband. Their service is contracted to PlusNet. They have an agreement with
Giganews for newsgroups. Periodically, I can't connect to those newservers and my client (Outlook Express) reports that
it's not getting past authorisation. Pinging and tracert show a clear route through. I've reported it many times and
their service desk reports no issue. Username and password aren't an issue I believe as it's the same combo I use for
accessing mail. After a few days it clears up and I can get through authorisation. However, the denying access period
has arrived.

I read on this newsgroup a while ago that Giganews had an issue with the ip addresses that an isp had bought and so
wasn't allowing access.
Firstly, is anyone in this position with John Lewis or PlusNet?
Secondly, any views on why authorisation should otherwise fail?


You need to gather specific data regarding IP addresses that do and do not work.

If you don't already have a way, you can find out your IP address by going to
http://www.myipaddress.com/

Don't just check it when Giganews doesn't work; check it when it does too.

When you find Giganews doesn't work, after checking and noting the IP,
unplug your router from the phone socket for a minute and reconnect it.
That will make it renegotiate the connection and should give you a new IP.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Play: - http://tony.mountifield.org
  #6  
Old March 21st 15, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marmaduke Jinks
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

On Saturday, 21 March 2015 12:08:26 UTC, David wrote:
I use news.eternal-september.org to me it best to be independent of my
ISP just in case I transfer to another provider.
Regards
David


Thanks. I shall make a note.
  #7  
Old March 21st 15, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marmaduke Jinks
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

On Saturday, 21 March 2015 12:38:40 UTC, Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article ,
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
Hi group

I'm a newsgroup user via John Lewis Broadband. Their service is contracted to PlusNet. They have an agreement with
Giganews for newsgroups. Periodically, I can't connect to those newservers and my client (Outlook Express) reports that
it's not getting past authorisation. Pinging and tracert show a clear route through. I've reported it many times and
their service desk reports no issue. Username and password aren't an issue I believe as it's the same combo I use for
accessing mail. After a few days it clears up and I can get through authorisation. However, the denying access period
has arrived.

I read on this newsgroup a while ago that Giganews had an issue with the ip addresses that an isp had bought and so
wasn't allowing access.
Firstly, is anyone in this position with John Lewis or PlusNet?
Secondly, any views on why authorisation should otherwise fail?


You need to gather specific data regarding IP addresses that do and do not work.

If you don't already have a way, you can find out your IP address by going to
http://www.myipaddress.com/

Don't just check it when Giganews doesn't work; check it when it does too.

When you find Giganews doesn't work, after checking and noting the IP,
unplug your router from the phone socket for a minute and reconnect it.
That will make it renegotiate the connection and should give you a new IP.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Play: - http://tony.mountifield.org


Ok. I started doing it this morning.

MJ

  #8  
Old March 21st 15, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard_CC
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

On 21/03/2015 12:08, David wrote:
I use news.eternal-september.org to me it best to be independent of my
ISP just in case I transfer to another provider.
Regards
David


I concur

I am with Demon (for now) and a few weeks ago they ceased newsgroup
provision altogether - no notice, no proper announcement. They had used
highwinds as their provider.

I changed to eternal september, free, no hassle and as far as I can tell
no unwanted side effects. I vaguely recall a limit on post size, but no
sane person would be likely to exceed it in a newsgroup post.

Excellent and ISP independent.
  #9  
Old March 21st 15, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marmaduke Jinks
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

On Saturday, 21 March 2015 14:36:23 UTC, Richard_CC wrote:
On 21/03/2015 12:08, David wrote:
I use news.eternal-september.org to me it best to be independent of my
ISP just in case I transfer to another provider.
Regards
David


I concur

I am with Demon (for now) and a few weeks ago they ceased newsgroup
provision altogether - no notice, no proper announcement. They had used
highwinds as their provider.

I changed to eternal september, free, no hassle and as far as I can tell
no unwanted side effects. I vaguely recall a limit on post size, but no
sane person would be likely to exceed it in a newsgroup post.

Excellent and ISP independent.


Thanks. I may have to go there.

However, I don't like the way that PlusNet are mishandling my query (in their 3rd party role) at JLP.

MJ


  #10  
Old March 21st 15, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 210
Default Newsgroups at John Lewis

Marmaduke Jinks wrote:

I don't like the way that PlusNet are mishandling my query (in their 3rd party role) at JLP.


Problem is barely anyone at PN knows that usenet exists, let alone uses
it - Bob Pullen and Chris Parr being notable exceptions, if you're lucky
one of them will notice this thread ...

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newsgroups Bill Ridgeway uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 November 23rd 06 01:39 PM
newsgroups cloggie99 uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 14 March 14th 06 11:06 AM
Your ISP and its Newsgroups Dave uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 22 September 14th 04 07:21 PM
avc and newsgroups Ken Walsh uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 June 28th 04 06:20 PM
Using newsgroups XpUser uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 April 3rd 04 08:07 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.