Is Google down ?

Old September 10th 15, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Is Google down ?

And that is where the problem lies, Level 3. They seem to have been
guilty of a widespread batch misconfiguration of network
routing/withching hardware, and the world and his wife are affected.

See, for example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/...ternet_outage/

Longer ago than I care to admit to remembering, but I will it admit
that it was before the days of renting cloud-space as now, I was one
of several regional IT staff in a large financial organisation who
were repeatedly kept late at work while a particular 'expert' in
London tried to upgrade our routing hardware remotely. The last and
final failure kept us past 10 pm, and I had a 50+ mile drive home. The
first thing I did when back at work next morning was to email all the
other people involved saying: "Jeez, it's morning, I must've fallen
asleep in the equipment room!". Apparently this caused widespread
hilarity ... to everyone except the 'expert'!

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:44:36 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

It seems Google have "subbed" 8.8.8.0/24 and 8.8.4.0/24 from level3 who
own 8.0.0.0/8

Old September 10th 15, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Java Jive wrote:

Longer ago than I care to admit to remembering [...] repeatedly kept
late at work while a particular 'expert' in London tried to upgrade
our routing hardware remotely.

I think that 'expert' has bred and the offspring followed his/her line
of work :-(

Old September 10th 15, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Is there such a word? Perhaps I ought to disable spell-checking on my
news-prog, I'm sure my original typo was a lot closer. Anyway,
hopefully it's clear that I meant ...
switching

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:47:42 +0100, Java Jive
wrote:

withching

Old September 10th 15, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_2_]

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:44:36 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I should have realised that it was unlikely that Google had two
different /16s! (although some organisations have, for historical
reasons).

It seems Google have "subbed" 8.8.8.0/24 and 8.8.4.0/24 from level3 who
own 8.0.0.0/8

Interesting. My employer has their own /16 - but then they did get it
very early on.
Old September 10th 15, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Bob Eager wrote:

I should have realised that it was unlikely that Google had two
different /16s! (although some organisations have, for historical
reasons).

It seems Google have "subbed" 8.8.8.0/24 and 8.8.4.0/24 from level3 who
own 8.0.0.0/8

Interesting. My employer has their own /16 - but then they did get it
very early on.

Yes my former employer (ICL) had separate public addresses for every
employee, rather than a single public address that was mapped by NAT in the
router to the employee's IP address. We had to hard-code the IP address into
the PC's TCP config because they didn't have DHCP.

It was so much easier on internal private development LANs that we set up
from time to time because we had our own router and could configure it to
allocate IP addresses automatically with "this newfangled DHCP".

Still it was better than the early days when we used OSLAN and the changing
the config details (roughly the equivalent of IP address, gateway address
and DNS server) required a reboot :-(

Old September 10th 15, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_2_]

Bob Eager wrote:

I should have realised that it was unlikely that Google had two
different /16s! (although some organisations have, for historical
reasons).

It seems Google have "subbed" 8.8.8.0/24 and 8.8.4.0/24 from level3
who own 8.0.0.0/8

Interesting. My employer has their own /16 - but then they did get it
very early on.

Yes my former employer (ICL) had separate public addresses for every
employee, rather than a single public address that was mapped by NAT in
the router to the employee's IP address. We had to hard-code the IP
address into the PC's TCP config because they didn't have DHCP.

Doesn't really surprise me. Never very impressed with ICL!

It was so much easier on internal private development LANs that we set
up from time to time because we had our own router and could configure
it to allocate IP addresses automatically with "this newfangled DHCP".

Still it was better than the early days when we used OSLAN and the
changing the config details (roughly the equivalent of IP address,
gateway address and DNS server) required a reboot :-(

LOL! That too.

Have you read the ICL anthologies?
Old September 10th 15, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
newshound

On 10/09/2015 07:36, David wrote:
PS
I'm with Plusnet if that helps answers.
David

"David" wrote in message ...
Are Google and some other sites down?
Not all internet is down for me.
Regards
David

Same experience for me on Plusnet. I lost Google and Amazon for some
time in the early hours, although Facebook and Bing were working fine.
All seem to be back now.
Old September 10th 15, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Bob Eager" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:50:09 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Switch to Google DNS servers?

8.8.8.8 is correct, but 4.4.4.4 is misremembering of google's 8.8.4.4
and level3's 4.2.2.2

Oops.

Perhaps also save a copy of

http://www.plus.net/support/software...indows-8.shtml

or similar, to know how to do it.

At one point I could Ping google.com but not google.co.uk and my browser
could only get bing

--
Mike D

Old September 11th 15, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

I got my internet working by inputting the Open DNS.

No doubt Plusnet will be ok again is there any reason not to stay with Open
DNS or Googles DNS?

Are security issues or speed issues?

Regards
David

Old September 11th 15, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

David wrote:

I got my internet working by inputting the Open DNS.

No doubt Plusnet will be ok again is there any reason not to stay with Open
DNS or Googles DNS?

Are security issues or speed issues?

Potentially, the issue is privacy; neither Cisco or Google are providing
DNS services from the goodness of their heart ...