Is Google down ?

Old September 11th 15, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_2_]

Default Is Google down ?

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:58:02 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

David wrote:

I got my internet working by inputting the Open DNS.

No doubt Plusnet will be ok again is there any reason not to stay with
Open DNS or Googles DNS?

Are security issues or speed issues?

Potentially, the issue is privacy; neither Cisco or Google are providing
DNS services from the goodness of their heart ...

I run my own DNS....!
Old September 11th 15, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"michael adams" considered Thu, 10 Sep 2015
08:12:41 +0100 the perfect time to write:
Which, as seems to be confirmed on the "plusnet.services.customer.
feedback" NG seemks to be a p[roblem with the Pliusner D.N.S server

Which might be worked around if someone helpfuly posted some numerical
adresses for Google BBC etc which could be used in the meantime ?

Sadly, using the IP address for news.bbc.co.uk did not work - it was the
first thing I tried: anticipating occasional DNS failures I have a list of a
few commonly-accessed sites and their IP addresses. If a site failed to open
when referenced by its URL or if the URL was pinged, then it also failed to
open or to respond to ping when referenced by its IP address.

This makes me think that it was not simply a DNS server that failed at
Plusnet but something involved in routing traffic.

Curiously, when I changed my router's DHCP to allocate a Google or OpenDNS
DNS server address rather than Plusnet's, the ability to ping an affected
site by IP address returned. If it had been a simple DNS failure, I'd still
have been able to ping by IP, even without tweaking my router.

Very weird.

Old September 11th 15, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 21:12:27 +0100, Phil W Lee wrote:

Bob Eager considered 11 Sep 2015 10:09:14 GMT the
perfect time to write:

David wrote:

I got my internet working by inputting the Open DNS.

No doubt Plusnet will be ok again is there any reason not to stay
with Open DNS or Googles DNS?

Are security issues or speed issues?

Potentially, the issue is privacy; neither Cisco or Google are
providing DNS services from the goodness of their heart ...

I run my own DNS....!

So do I, but you still need to put an upstream one (or more) to forward
DNS queries that can't be resolved locally, if only to reduce load on
the root level servers.

I don't. The cache time for root server info is very long, anyway.

And using a local DNS can actually make it more difficult to diagnose
that kind of problem, as some "external" queries will be resolved from
the cache on the local DNS, while some won't be there - which is a good
reason not to run local DNS unless you know what you are doing.

Generally, I do!
Old September 12th 15, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Forman

"NY" writes:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
[...]

I was unable to connect to the Internet using Plusnet. It was not a DNS
problem for me as I use OpenDNS. I suppose that the PN infrastructure
could have had DNS issues but it looked more serious than that.

--
Pete Forman
http://petef.22web.org/payg.html
Old September 12th 15, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Pete Forman" wrote in message
"NY" writes:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
[...]

When I was using PN's DNS server (ie my router's DHCP allocated a PN IP
address for DNS server) there were many sites that I couldn't browse to or
even ping, either by URL or by IP address. Once I changed my router to
allocate an OpenDNS IP address server for DNS, I could access all those
sites by URL or IP.

The only sites I couldn't access were PN's own sites (eg their
portal.plus.net) which I had been able to access earlier, but this was
probably time-related: by the time I changed the DNS, PN's servers had gone
down or become inaccessible.

But for me, at least, changing the DNS solved virtually all my problems.

I've left my router configured to allocate OpenDNS as the primary DNS and
PN's as secondary DNS.

Old January 29th 19, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thursday, 10 September 2015 07:03:56 UTC+1, David wrote:
Are Google and some other sites down?
Not all internet is down for me.
Regards
David

i got 404. That's an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That's all we know. for gmail and youtube log in..
Old January 29th 19, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Apd

wrote:
i got 404. That's an error.

Don't know why you're replying to a post from 2015 but yes, I'm also
getting a 404 when trying to log in with Firefox on Windows. However,
I can POP the mail ok from my email client and my smartphone gmail
app has normal access.