BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification

Old January 11th 17, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richmond

Default BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification

"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

This improved last year, but invalidated passwords again last night.

This morning Yahoo! invalidated them again, so yet another change, but
despite two messages saying it had been changed on other devices it
hadn't and still hasn't. Now when I go to web mail it says I am
locked out due to to many attempts (I have been out most of the day)
and yet Outlook, my phone and tablet are all getting mail just fine.

So

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its
hopeless servers?

Have you tried switching on second factor authentication? This will
prevent unauthorised devices logging in. And when you have done that,
you need to set up an app password for each of the email clients you
use.
Old January 11th 17, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 11-Jan-17 8:35 PM, Richmond wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

This improved last year, but invalidated passwords again last night.

This morning Yahoo! invalidated them again, so yet another change, but
despite two messages saying it had been changed on other devices it
hadn't and still hasn't. Now when I go to web mail it says I am
locked out due to to many attempts (I have been out most of the day)
and yet Outlook, my phone and tablet are all getting mail just fine.

So

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its
hopeless servers?

Have you tried switching on second factor authentication? This will
prevent unauthorised devices logging in. And when you have done that,
you need to set up an app password for each of the email clients you
use.

Could be a bit tricky as BTYahoo doesn't support 2 factor authentication.
Old January 12th 17, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_3_]

Chronos wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:06:42 -0000 (UTC)
Chris wrote:

I'm surprised Yahoo are still in business.

They're almost not, technically. They've just been Borged and a re-brand
is imminent. Something beginning with A that I didn't pay much attention
to because they've been irrelevant for years.

The traditional Yahoo internet businesses (which are now worth a tenth of
the company's total value) are being sold to Verizon, which also owns AOL;
presumably it can keep using the Yahoo brand if it chooses. The rump
company, which is just a holding company with some valuable investments,
will be called Altaba:

Quote:

After the sale of its core internet business, the company will change its
name to Altaba Inc. from RemainCo, Yahoo said in a regulatory filing.
Altaba's remaining assets include Yahoo's stake in Alibaba Group Holding
Ltd. and Yahoo Japan. The name is a combination of the words “alternate”
and “Alibaba,” a person familiar with the matter said.

… analysts say most of Yahoo's value stems from its stakes in Alibaba and
Yahoo Japan, not the core business sold to Verizon. The core business
accounts for 10% of Yahoo's market value, Evercore ISI analyst Ken Sena
wrote in a Dec. 15 note. About 61% of Yahoo's worth is tied to its stake in
Alibaba, while 13% is linked to Yahoo Japan Corp., Mr. Sena wrote.

From
http://www.wsj.com/articles/after-sale-marissa-mayer-to-leave-yahoo-board-yahoo-to-change-name-to-altaba-1484002787

Old January 12th 17, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richmond

Dick writes:

Have you tried switching on second factor authentication? This will
prevent unauthorised devices logging in. And when you have done that,
you need to set up an app password for each of the email clients you
use.

Could be a bit tricky as BTYahoo doesn't support 2 factor authentication.

Under the circumstances, that seems ridiculous.
Old January 12th 17, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Chris" wrote
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

This morning Yahoo! invalidated them again, so yet another change, but

despite two messages saying it had been changed on other devices it
hadn't and still hasn't. Now when I go to web mail it says I am locked
out due to to many attempts (I have been out most of the day) and yet
Outlook, my phone and tablet are all getting mail just fine.

So when are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its
hopeless servers?

might be worth considering moving to a better provider, hmm?

Set up parallel mailboxes with Gmail (POP has to be switched on.).

Drop Yahoo except for incoming to old addie

Or try Fastmail.com (free lite or pay ).

--
Mike D

Old January 12th 17, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 20:35:36 UTC, Richmond wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

This improved last year, but invalidated passwords again last night.

This morning Yahoo! invalidated them again, so yet another change, but
despite two messages saying it had been changed on other devices it
hadn't and still hasn't. Now when I go to web mail it says I am
locked out due to to many attempts (I have been out most of the day)
and yet Outlook, my phone and tablet are all getting mail just fine.

So

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its
hopeless servers?

Have you tried switching on second factor authentication? This will
prevent unauthorised devices logging in. And when you have done that,
you need to set up an app password for each of the email clients you
use.

The problem is not people hacking into my btinternet account, but not being able to use it myself when I am paying for it!
Old January 13th 17, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_3_]

"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

[...]

My first Internet email account was with Compuserve, well over 20 years
ago, and I still use it as my main email, connecting via BT. It's costs me
nothing to use for many years, and is far more reliable than my BT Internet
(Yahoo) email accounts.

Compuserve became part of AOL some years ago, which in turn is now owned by
Verizon. The same is about to happen to Yahoo, so perhaps things will get
better. But I don't know why BT's move away from Yahoo for email stalled
some years ago.

Old January 13th 17, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

[...]

One of my reasons for not moving away is my btinternet email address I have had for twenty years - you can't guarantee access and will have to pay if you use another provider (maddeningly BT made me pay when they forced my internet onto btconnect when they pulled Highway and pushed me onto DSL.

is pretty mundane by comparison.

Compuserve became part of AOL some years ago, which in turn is now owned by
Verizon. The same is about to happen to Yahoo, so perhaps things will get
better. But I don't know why BT's move away from Yahoo for email stalled
some years ago.

I don't even know why BT ever went in with Yahoo, it was a fiasco from day one.

Still no web mail login yesterday. Slight improvement today - could login in but not https :-(
Old January 13th 17, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richmond

"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

[...]

Yes but I think 2FA would make those lock-outs go away, if BT permitted
it.
Old May 28th 17, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification AGAIN

On Friday, 13 January 2017 13:05:47 UTC, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Back to BT Yahoo *****cks again today.

This morning warnings password used to often despite no attempts today.

This afternoon steered to Yahoo page on log in and again to logout confirmation page on log out.

Will probably escalate to another long bout of email lock outs :-(

WHEN oh when are BT going to dispense with Yahoo! idiots?

Previous woes below - snip if replying: -