BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification

Old July 6th 17, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification yet AGAIN

On Sunday, 28 May 2017 16:49:11 UTC+1, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Friday, 13 January 2017 13:05:47 UTC, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Back to BT Yahoo *****cks again today.

This morning warnings password used to often despite no attempts today.

This afternoon steered to Yahoo page on log in and again to logout confirmation page on log out.

Will probably escalate to another long bout of email lock outs :-(

WHEN oh when are BT going to dispense with Yahoo! idiots?

Previous woes below - snip if replying: -

On Thursday, 12 January 2017 23:34:46 UTC, Recliner wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 20:35:36 UTC, Richmond wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

This improved last year, but invalidated passwords again last night.

This morning Yahoo! invalidated them again, so yet another change, but
despite two messages saying it had been changed on other devices it
hadn't and still hasn't. Now when I go to web mail it says I am
locked out due to to many attempts (I have been out most of the day)
and yet Outlook, my phone and tablet are all getting mail just fine.

So

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its
hopeless servers?

Have you tried switching on second factor authentication? This will
prevent unauthorised devices logging in. And when you have done that,
you need to set up an app password for each of the email clients you
use.

The problem is not people hacking into my btinternet account, but not
being able to use it myself when I am paying for it!

My first Internet email account was with Compuserve, well over 20 years
ago, and I still use it as my main email, connecting via BT. It's costs me
nothing to use for many years, and is far more reliable than my BT Internet
(Yahoo) email accounts.

One of my reasons for not moving away is my btinternet email address I have had for twenty years - you can't guarantee access and will have to pay if you use another provider (maddeningly BT made me pay when they forced my internet onto btconnect when they pulled Highway and pushed me onto DSL.

is pretty mundane by comparison.

Compuserve became part of AOL some years ago, which in turn is now owned by
Verizon. The same is about to happen to Yahoo, so perhaps things will get
better. But I don't know why BT's move away from Yahoo for email stalled
some years ago.

I don't even know why BT ever went in with Yahoo, it was a fiasco from day one.

Still no web mail login yesterday. Slight improvement today - could login in but not https :-(

Well OK just over a month, but yesterday servers were stuffed all day: -
Web Mail - worked
Outlook - received but could not send on main account, not cleared by reboot
Tablet - authentication failed, password rejected
Phone - authentication failed, password rejected

again repeat of earlier problems.

by this morning it was sorted - Outlook could send and my phone & tablet could log in, download etc. with unchanged credentials - i.e. no faults at my end.
Old July 25th 17, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

[...]

Last week satellite devices (phone, tablet) reporting invalid password, then recover overnight and again yesterday. Problems synchronising with Outlook. When are BT going to ditch Yahoo! and get working servers?
Old July 25th 17, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[snip]

Last week satellite devices (phone, tablet) reporting invalid password, then recover overnight and again yesterday. Problems synchronising with Outlook. When are BT going to ditch Yahoo! and get working servers?

When will you stop using BT ???

--
Graham J

Old July 25th 17, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:01:16 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Graham J disturbed my reverie and wrote:

When will you stop using BT ???

I have only stayed with BT as it gives me maximum flexibility to
change ISP unless the situation has changed much recently. I would
leave them in a shot if I could have the same flexibility as I do now.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Old July 25th 17, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 25 July 2017 12:01:19 UTC+1, Graham J wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[snip]

Last week satellite devices (phone, tablet) reporting invalid password, then recover overnight and again yesterday. Problems synchronising with Outlook. When are BT going to ditch Yahoo! and get working servers?

When will you stop using BT ???

--
Graham J

When I don't have to pay BT for and risk deletion of my primary btinternet email address - a mistake from 20 years ago.
Old July 25th 17, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 25 July 2017 12:36:38 UTC+1, DrTeeth wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:01:16 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Graham J disturbed my reverie and wrote:

When will you stop using BT ???

I have only stayed with BT as it gives me maximum flexibility to
change ISP unless the situation has changed much recently. I would
leave them in a shot if I could have the same flexibility as I do now.
--
Cheers,

DrT

Pretty much the same - I use call prefix and VOIP and the only calls offered via BT are free ones at the weekend!

For some years BT Business used to ring me asking how they could get my business back. I used to tell them. BT reneged on a lower minimum call charge deal on ISDN ~2000, but it is this that is the real stinger if you use BT for chargeable calls.
Old July 25th 17, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , R.
Mark Clayton writes

"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

[...]

Well they set off down that road with Critical Path but then it all
stalled. Said to be due to service issues but maybe more contractual.
--
bert
Old September 8th 17, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

[...]

And again overnight.

Worryingly a Yahoo page appeared saying they were merging in "oath" on 15th September - so expect a lot more trouble in the middle of the month!