Poor LAN Speed

Old January 2nd 16, 04:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Endulini

Default Poor LAN Speed

Hi Folks,

I recently installed a D-Link PCI DGE-528T 1Gb ethernet card on my rather
old PC (Asus P5N-E SLI mobo) but it's only returning a max sped of 100Mbps.
I've played around with various settings that looked relevant but it's made
no difference and a laptop plugged in to the same line recently ran at
1Gbps; can anyone suggest what settings I need to optimise to persuade it to
run faster or am I (as I suspect) flogging a dead horse? Is this a
limitation of the PCI technology on the board? The system still copes really
well with everything I need so I'm loathe to change it......

Cheers.

Old January 3rd 16, 09:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GlowingBlueMist[_2_]

On 1/2/2016 10:54 AM, Endulini wrote:
Hi Folks,

I recently installed a D-Link PCI DGE-528T 1Gb ethernet card on my
rather old PC (Asus P5N-E SLI mobo) but it's only returning a max sped
of 100Mbps. I've played around with various settings that looked
relevant but it's made no difference and a laptop plugged in to the same
line recently ran at 1Gbps; can anyone suggest what settings I need to
optimise to persuade it to run faster or am I (as I suspect) flogging a
dead horse? Is this a limitation of the PCI technology on the board? The
system still copes really well with everything I need so I'm loathe to
change it......

Cheers.

If the PC is reporting the LAN port of the card is running at 100 Mbps
rather than 1 Gbps on a router port that supports 1 Gbps I'd consider
trying a different cable.

Too many times I've run into connectors on cards that just don't work
properly with a specific cable but work just fine with other cable.
Old January 3rd 16, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
endulini

On 1/3/2016 9:10 AM, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
[...]

Cheers, a new cable sorted it
Old January 3rd 16, 10:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
stephen

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 14:45:18 +0000, endulini
wrote:

[...]

1Gbps requires all 4 pairs in the cable to be connected.

100m only needed 2 and some 100M cables didnt include all 4 pairs.
Stephen Hope
Replace xyz with ntl to reply