Using 'n' router/modem as access point on existing network?

Old February 2nd 16, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity, alt.comp.networking.firewalls, alt.comp.networking.ip6, alt.comp.networking.routers, uk.comp.home-networking
DaveC[_2_]

Default Using 'n' router/modem as access point on existing network?

I have U-verse service via 2wire 3800HGV-B. I want to add "n" router
(connected via e-net) in another location in the house. I have a SmartRG
SR350N dsl modem/wireless router in my junque box.

Can the SR350N perform access-point duty? I hooked up the router and it
passes e-net and wireless self-test and I can connect wirelessly and login.
The whole circus stops when the client can't obtain an IP address.

I disabled DHCP and entered the 3800HGV-B's IP as the DNS server. No joy.

Why aren't clients able to obtain IP's from the 3800?

Thanks.

Old February 2nd 16, 08:31 AM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.ip6,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 02/02/16 05:10, DaveC wrote:
Can the SR350N perform access-point duty?

The user manual that I found
http://setuprouter.com/router/smartr...anual-1241.pdf talks about
a WDS mode, in which one SR350N can act as an access point, using
wireless as a backhaul. That's almost the same thing; you might see if
some manifestation of that will do what you want.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Old February 2nd 16, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.ip6,alt.comp.networking.routers,uk.comp.home-networking
Andeas Wenzel

Am 02.02.2016 um 06:10 schrieb DaveC:
[...]
Can the SR350N perform access-point duty? I hooked up the router and it
passes e-net and wireless self-test and I can connect wirelessly and login.
The whole circus stops when the client can't obtain an IP address.

I disabled DHCP and entered the 3800HGV-B's IP as the DNS server. No joy.
[...]

I don't know either of your devices. However, almost any WLAN router can
work as a wireless access point. You just need to disable DHCP (which
you say you did) and then plug wired network into one of the LAN ports
of the SR350N, not into the WAN port.

In case the SR350N has an feature to suppress WAN-LAN communication it
needs to be disabled.