Three Tethering Scam

Old April 3rd 16, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Three Tethering Scam

Three Tethering Scam

I have a Three dongle and a 15 per month for 5GB mobile dongle account. All is fine except when I run out of data allowance and I have to resort to a fall back.

This is a Three S2 Skyphone PAYG tethered to my lap top. However Three has now reduced the PAYG Addon options. I usually do a 10 top up. This give me free 3-3 minutes and texts - which I never use. However I get 120MB Internet.

This latter is quickly used up. So I used to buy a Weekly 'Internet Addon' which would last until I got a new allowance on the dongle account. However Three doesn't do these Addons any more.

What it offers is a month's Internet at 5 or a day at 50p.

But the real scam is that Three never reports back at the expiry of an Addon. So last month I made a 10 top-up, and then bought a day's data (120MB) for 50p. This left my credit at 9.49 (quite where the 1p went is a moot point).

So I carried on tethering - however suddenly I received a text say that my data allowance had expired. I checked and Three had STOLEN 9.49 from my top-up and my credit balance was now zero. I checked and it appeared that my 50p (120MB) had been quickly used up, and that WITHOUT WARNING Three had used up my remaining top-up credit at the rate of 1 per 3MB - that is it had ripped me off by charging 9 for a mere 27MB.

NOW THAT'S CRIMINAL FRAUD IN MY BOOK.

So whilst Three allows tethering with a S2 Skyphone - it charges extortionate rates for the unwary who go over the limit of Addons. And it FAILS to issue warnings until all top-up credit has run out.

CJB

P.S. And the S2 Skyphone per se doesn't work anyway now because Skype has been taken over my MS and I can't download an update; and the other mobile sites like the BBC, Google / Yahoo 'Search' only produce a screed of unintelligle HTML.
Old April 3rd 16, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

CJB wrote:

[...]

BT will will do you a better mobile data (I think 20GB) and unlimited UK
voice for about 20 a month I believe.
Localphone and a whole raft of other providers give
you standard voip which can be used with any SIP device / software
for VoIP. I use PAP2 for example to connect an ordinary phone to VoIP.
I also have SIP software on my phone and desktop PC to make calls.

Old April 3rd 16, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

And the other fraud is that when I do a top-up for the S2 for say 10 I get an allowance of 5,000 'free' 3-3 minutes, and 300 'free' texts. But when the Internet allowance (+ possible Internet Addon) expires the whole lot including minutes and texts are cancelled long before their due expiry date. Now THAT is fraud.
Old April 4th 16, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Barnes[_2_]

CJB wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure I follow all of that but I'm also on Three PAYG and when
all add-ons have expired I get charged the headline PAYG rate (1p per
MB) from my top-ups.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_a.../Phone_tariffs

I don't do tethering and I suppose that might be the difference.

If I were you I'd ring Three up and find out what happened. The only
time I needed to phone them - after losing credit due to not
understanding the difference between a top-up and an add-on - they
cheerfully credited my account with the amount I'd "lost".

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Old April 4th 16, 02:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 3 April 2016 12:52:21 UTC+1, CJB wrote:
[...]

Welcome to the standards of customer service you can expect at 3. Indeed from your account they seem to have improved ;-}
Old April 4th 16, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Mike Barnes wrote:
I'm not sure I follow all of that but I'm also on Three PAYG and when
all add-ons have expired I get charged the headline PAYG rate (1p per
MB) from my top-ups.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_a.../Phone_tariffs

I don't do tethering and I suppose that might be the difference.

It appears Chris is on the old 3Pay tariff where data is 30p/MB. I don't
know the status of tethering on 3Pay v 321, but all things being equal I'd
suggest changing to 321. The downside is the bundles are less generous on
321 (eg 500MB for a fiver/month on 321 against 2GB for the same on 3Pay).

The other thing is to only topup in quanta of 5 pounds if you can. You get
more 'free' monthly data bundles that way, and less risk if you go over your
bundle.

Three's data measurement has always been pretty lame (eg you can refresh
your 'my balance' page and see no change, even after doing some downloads).

If I were you I'd ring Three up and find out what happened. The only
time I needed to phone them - after losing credit due to not
understanding the difference between a top-up and an add-on - they
cheerfully credited my account with the amount I'd "lost".

It's worth a shot.

Theo
Old April 4th 16, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
Mike Barnes wrote:
[...]

Technically you cannot tether on 3 PAYG and if you do using a phone
they may stop you doing so (although for collecting e-mails it has
never happened to me.)

If you want to use data on 3 PAYG the best route is to use a mi-fi and
buy a data SIM/bundle. The catch is it only lasts 30 days from first
use.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com