Do slow VDSL lines use ADSL profiles ?

Old October 24th 16, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default Do slow VDSL lines use ADSL profiles ?

My line was upgraded to VDSL a few weeks ago, and it's disappointingly slow -
some of which is undoubtedly down to the monopoly wiring here.

The download speed is within the estimated speed range for an "Impacted" line,
but the upload speed is way outside - for an "Impacted" line the estimated
upload speed is 3.8 - 7.1 Mb/s, but I'm getting about 1.2 Mb/s :-(

xdslctl info

xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 1149 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20409 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 1149 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15000 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

If I run the BT Knowledge Based Diagnostics on my line, it tells me:

Product Info FTTC
Profile Info N.A.
BRAS Profile adsl13000

Ah, so I'm being given an ADSL profile, which perhaps explains why the
upload speed is ADSL-like.

So how can BT Wholesale estimate 3.8 - 7.1 Mb/s upload ?
Old October 24th 16, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory

On 24/10/2016 12:16, Andrew Benham wrote:
[...]

As I understand it BRAS profile has nothing at all to do with upload speeds.

There might be a VDSL2 profile that behaves like ADSL though I've not
heard of it. I thought BT always used, if I remember correctly, 17a.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old October 25th 16, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Andrew Benham wrote:
My line was upgraded to VDSL a few weeks ago, and it's disappointingly slow -
some of which is undoubtedly down to the monopoly wiring here.

The download speed is within the estimated speed range for an "Impacted" line,
but the upload speed is way outside - for an "Impacted" line the estimated
upload speed is 3.8 - 7.1 Mb/s, but I'm getting about 1.2 Mb/s :-(

Maybe post on thinkbroadband.com forums, there are people on there used
to seeing issues like this.

xdslctl info

xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 1149 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20409 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 1149 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15000 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

AIUI Bearer 1 means you are using G.INP which may affect things.

What are the Noise margins and error counters like?

If I run the BT Knowledge Based Diagnostics on my line, it tells me:

Product Info FTTC
Profile Info N.A.
BRAS Profile adsl13000

What does the IP profile on the speed test say?

Though as I say above, you would be better asking and posting full stats
elsewhere.