Estimating ADSL & VDSL Speeds From Given Distances

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 16th 16, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Estimating ADSL & VDSL Speeds From Given Distances

I have been informed that our locality is not going to get FTTC during
the imminent local exchange rollout of it, so I am putting together a
case for bringing FTTC to us.

We have 59 premises, about 12% of the total for the local exchange, in
a reasonably small geographical area. Currently, we are all connected
by exchange only lines, which would have to be rerouted via one or
more cabinets. I have drawn up a map and a spreadsheet table of all
the addresses and calculated their roadside, cabled distances from the
exchange and proposed cabinet site(s).

The average distance from the exchange is 8.81km, the furthest is
12.2km. All online ADSL checkers I've seen give either rather vague
estimates of 1Mbps speed for all the properties, or no result at all,
whereas in reality the best speed I've heard of is 2.5Mbps, while most
seem to get less than 1Mbps, and the furthest houses cannot get
landline broadband at all.

With one cabinet, the average distance from the cabinet would be
2.22km, the furthest would be 4.28km. With three cabinets - which
sounds unrealistic but would save BT relaying much of the local
cabling, and therefore might actually be cheaper - the average would
be 1.17km and the furthest 3.08km.

Does anyone know of formulae that I can use to give more useful
estimates of speeds for ADSL, and estimate the speeds available to
each property via VDSL - preferably in each case something I can put
in a spreadsheet formula?