Echo on Sipgate

Old January 14th 17, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Higton

Default Echo on Sipgate

In message
Richmond wrote:

Dave Higton writes:

Hang on, I'm back-pedalling here. Is the far end analogue?

Yes.

If so, it's possible that Sipgate's VOIP to PSTN gateway is not
correctly matched to the PSTN and therefore there's a transmission
line echo.

What can I do about that?

It's outside your control. Report the issue to Sipgate and see what
their response is.

Dave
Old January 15th 17, 02:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 23:01:53 +0000, Richmond wrote:

Dave Higton writes:

Hang on, I'm back-pedalling here. Is the far end analogue?

Yes.

If so, it's possible that Sipgate's VOIP to PSTN gateway is not
correctly matched to the PSTN and therefore there's a transmission
line echo.

What can I do about that?

The circuit that attempts to isolate the transmit and receive audio
from/to a single pair of wires in a telephone, ATA, or modem has the
odd name of the "hybrid".

This isolation is very often not perfect, this can be down to poor
design, or operating the equipment in a country with different
exchange line characteristics from where it was intended to be used.

Also, it has been found that perfect isolation can be undesirable and
disconcerting, as people are used to hearing their own speech in the
earpiece to a certain extent. This also has an odd name, Sidetone, a
term that harks back to the days of Morse telegraphy.

I think you said you were using a Linux app, so is the analogue
interface anything more than the DAC/ADC of a soundcard?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 15th 17, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob L

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:45:36 +0000, Richmond wrote:

When using sipgate to make calls, people whom I call report they can
hear an echo of their own voice. I have tried using headphones but it
makes no difference. What is causing the echo? How can I stop it? I am
using Twinkle, a linux client.

Could it be that your Linux has a similar audio setting that Windows
has, Stereo Mix, where you can mix incoming to outgoing audio, if so
it could be that is causing your echo problem.

---

Old January 15th 17, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

My apologies, it should have been stun.sipgate.net:10000.
Also the softphone is X-Lite, not X-phone as I said, and it is
available in Linux. Just log in, click on Features on the left, then
Help at upper right and away you go.
Two senior moments methinks.

I use a Sipura ATA and had the same issue with echo a few years ago. I
raised a support query with Sipgate and they told me to use the
alternative outgoing proxy server
proxy.live.sipgate.co.uk
and it cured the problem. I am now no longer specifying an outgoing
server and the problem has not come back. I suspect they had server
issues which they subsequently cured. It may be that the server that
your circuit is landing upon has the issue.

I suggest trying the alternative outgoing server and if it does not
cure the problem raise a support query.

I would agree with the comment about stereo mix on the sound card. It
caused a problem on my laptop which we use for VoIP when away from
home; I changed the state of it (can't remember which way round) and
that helped also.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old January 15th 17, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:41:24 +0000, Bob L
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:45:36 +0000, Richmond wrote:

When using sipgate to make calls, people whom I call report they can
hear an echo of their own voice. I have tried using headphones but it
makes no difference. What is causing the echo? How can I stop it? I am
using Twinkle, a linux client.

Could it be that your Linux has a similar audio setting that Windows
has, Stereo Mix, where you can mix incoming to outgoing audio, if so
it could be that is causing your echo problem.

---

In Windows the setting is in the microphone properties, and is called
"Listen to this device".

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 15th 17, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Dave Higton wrote:
Hang on, I'm back-pedalling here. Is the far end analogue?

If so, it's possible that Sipgate's VOIP to PSTN gateway is not
correctly matched to the PSTN and therefore there's a transmission
line echo.

I'm confused. If the far end is analogue, that usually means a 'BT line' or
similar:

Sipgate will have a VOIP to PSTN gateway, but the PSTN there is digital.
(64kbps PCM)
The call then travels digitally over the PSTN
At the exchange the call goes through a DAC and turns into analogue
There's then a mile or few of analogue to the recipient's phone.

In that case any mismatch would affect all calls and be Openreach's problem.

If it's Virgin or FTTC then the DAC might be in the cabinet, but same
thing.

If the far end is VoIP and the call is VoIP all the way, then my
first reply holds.

If the call is VOIP but the recipient has an ATA, then it's possible there's
an analogue mismatch. If that ATA is supplied by Sipgate, it's potentially
Sipgate's responsibility. But other than that I can't see it being likely.

I think it's much more likely there's mixing at the VOIP phone end - either
a bad mixer setup or speaker/earpiece audio being received by a microphone.

(what deals with analogue lines carrying two way traffic? Does the exchange
ADC subtract the signal coming out of its DAC, so it separates
microphone signal (tx) from the earpiece signal (rx)? )

Theo
Old January 15th 17, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richmond

"Woody" writes:

My apologies, it should have been stun.sipgate.net:10000.
Also the softphone is X-Lite, not X-phone as I said, and it is
available in Linux. Just log in, click on Features on the left, then
Help at upper right and away you go.
Two senior moments methinks.

Although the sipgate site says that x-lite is available for linux, when
you follow the links through to he

http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite-download/

there are only Mac and Windows download links. I should think the linux
version was withdrawn and sipgate didn't notice.

However I have something called CSipSimple on my amazon tablet which
seems to work better dialling 10005, but whether it will cure the echo
is hard to test, without phoning myself and wasting some money answering
my own call.

On pavucontrol (Pulse Audeo Volume Control) I have options:

Analog Stereo Duplex, Analog Stereo Output, Digital Stereo Output (IEC958) plus
Analog Stereo Input, Digital Stereo Output (IEC958), Analog Stereo Input, Off.

I could try Windows Vista but it's not a long term solution.
Old January 15th 17, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richmond

Graham. writes:

The circuit that attempts to isolate the transmit and receive audio
from/to a single pair of wires in a telephone, ATA, or modem has the
odd name of the "hybrid".

This isolation is very often not perfect, this can be down to poor
design, or operating the equipment in a country with different
exchange line characteristics from where it was intended to be used.

Also, it has been found that perfect isolation can be undesirable and
disconcerting, as people are used to hearing their own speech in the
earpiece to a certain extent. This also has an odd name, Sidetone, a
term that harks back to the days of Morse telegraphy.

I think you said you were using a Linux app, so is the analogue
interface anything more than the DAC/ADC of a soundcard?

I don't know. I have a laptop and I have a microphone plugged in to the
microphone socket and optionally headphones plugged in to the headphones
socket.

If you look in my reply to Woody you will see the configuration options
I have in Pulse Audio Volume Control for linux.

I think I have tried phoning myself skype to skype and don't recall any
echo. I will try it again.
Old February 6th 17, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On 2017-01-14, Richmond wrote:
"Woody" writes:

"Richmond" wrote in message
"Woody" writes:

"Richmond" wrote in message
When using sipgate to make calls, people whom I call report they
can
hear an echo of their own voice. I have tried using headphones but
it
makes no difference. What is causing the echo? How can I stop it?
am
using Twinkle, a linux client.

Two things to try:

Try using stun on and off - stun.sipgate.net:10000

Try using an outbound proxy if you client will take it -
proxy.live.sipgate.co.uk - with and without stun.

I used to have echo problems and the outbound proxy was what
Sipgate
told me to try.

Thanks. When I looked in the settings it was already configured to
use
stun, but the address was set to sipgate.co.uk, so I have changed it
stun.sipgate.net:10000. I will have to wait until I make a phone
call to
test it.

Er, have you done that correctly?

The stun address is stun.sipgate.co.uk:10000

Oh. You said ,net before. Well I have tried both but the 10005 number
makes me sound like a Dalek.

The incoming proxy address is sipgate.co.uk
The outgoing proxy address can be
sipgate.co.uk
or
proxy.live.sipgate.co.uk
The outgoing should be tried with and without stun.

If you dial 10005 you can do a voice test to see if the echo is still
there.

As a point of interest, have you been on the Sipgate web site and
looked at their support section? (Register, then Help.) You will find
the full config for many devices in there.

The other thing to do is download their softphone - X-phone - which
will be delivered to you ready configured. You can then (1) try it for
making a call to see if the echo is present and if it is not (2) look
at the config of X-phone and see if you can find any differences
against your ATA or SIP-phone.

Failing all that raise a support query with Sipgate. They may take a
few days to reply but they usually provide the right answer.

I don't see X-phone, but I see Zoiper. I have used it on IOS but it
didn't always work. So I will have a look at the linux version.

I've heard of issues with Zoiper on iOS - but it works very well on Android.

Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/
Old February 8th 17, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine

On 2017-01-14, Richmond wrote:
"Woody" writes:

"Richmond" wrote in message
"Woody" writes:

"Richmond" wrote in message
[...]

From Sipgate's website:

:If you have problems registering your Cisco SPA online, or with :making
calls, test with the STUN Server enabled under SIP -- NAT :Support
Parameters.

:STUN Server: stun.sipgate.net

--
Ria in Aberdeen