Echo on Sipgate

Old January 14th 17, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richmond

Default Echo on Sipgate

When using sipgate to make calls, people whom I call report they can
hear an echo of their own voice. I have tried using headphones but it
makes no difference. What is causing the echo? How can I stop it? I am
using Twinkle, a linux client.
Old January 14th 17, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Richmond" wrote in message
When using sipgate to make calls, people whom I call report they can
hear an echo of their own voice. I have tried using headphones but
it
makes no difference. What is causing the echo? How can I stop it? I
am
using Twinkle, a linux client.

Two things to try:

Try using stun on and off - stun.sipgate.net:10000

Try using an outbound proxy if you client will take it -
proxy.live.sipgate.co.uk - with and without stun.

I used to have echo problems and the outbound proxy was what Sipgate
told me to try.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old January 14th 17, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richmond

"Woody" writes:

"Richmond" wrote in message
When using sipgate to make calls, people whom I call report they can
hear an echo of their own voice. I have tried using headphones but
it
makes no difference. What is causing the echo? How can I stop it? I
am
using Twinkle, a linux client.

Two things to try:

Try using stun on and off - stun.sipgate.net:10000

Try using an outbound proxy if you client will take it -
proxy.live.sipgate.co.uk - with and without stun.

I used to have echo problems and the outbound proxy was what Sipgate
told me to try.

Thanks. When I looked in the settings it was already configured to use
stun, but the address was set to sipgate.co.uk, so I have changed it to
stun.sipgate.net:10000. I will have to wait until I make a phone call to
test it.
Old January 14th 17, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Richmond" wrote in message
"Woody" writes:

"Richmond" wrote in message
[...]

Er, have you done that correctly?

The stun address is stun.sipgate.co.uk:10000

The incoming proxy address is sipgate.co.uk
The outgoing proxy address can be
sipgate.co.uk
or
proxy.live.sipgate.co.uk
The outgoing should be tried with and without stun.

If you dial 10005 you can do a voice test to see if the echo is still
there.

As a point of interest, have you been on the Sipgate web site and
looked at their support section? (Register, then Help.) You will find
the full config for many devices in there.

The other thing to do is download their softphone - X-phone - which
will be delivered to you ready configured. You can then (1) try it for
making a call to see if the echo is present and if it is not (2) look
at the config of X-phone and see if you can find any differences
against your ATA or SIP-phone.

Failing all that raise a support query with Sipgate. They may take a
few days to reply but they usually provide the right answer.

Old January 14th 17, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 19:53:23 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"Richmond" wrote in message
"Woody" writes:

"Richmond" wrote in message
[...]

I've always used the .net url.
Also, I'm finding it hard to see how STUN server configuration can
help with echo.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 14th 17, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richmond

"Woody" writes:

"Richmond" wrote in message
"Woody" writes:

"Richmond" wrote in message
[...]

Oh. You said ,net before. Well I have tried both but the 10005 number
makes me sound like a Dalek.

[...]

I don't see X-phone, but I see Zoiper. I have used it on IOS but it
didn't always work. So I will have a look at the linux version.
Old January 14th 17, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Higton

In message
Graham. wrote:

Also, I'm finding it hard to see how STUN server configuration can
help with echo.

Me too. If the far end is hearing an echo of their own voice, they
must be receiving RTP packets containing their own voice. What can
be originating those packets?

If they can hear you too, then something must be either mixing your
and their voice before sending the packets to them, or switching
between your and their voice.

I can't even imagine that their own RTP packets are returned back
to them, as the IP and TCP headers would have to be rewritten in
order to be accepted at their end.

A conference system mixes audio (or switches it, based on highest
activity), but normally it's an N-1 mix, so every party gets back
every voice /except/ theirs.

Dave
Old January 14th 17, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Higton

In message
Dave Higton wrote:

In message
Graham. wrote:

Also, I'm finding it hard to see how STUN server configuration can
help with echo.

Me too. If the far end is hearing an echo of their own voice, they
must be receiving RTP packets containing their own voice. What can
be originating those packets?

If they can hear you too, then something must be either mixing your
and their voice before sending the packets to them, or switching
between your and their voice.

I can't even imagine that their own RTP packets are returned back
to them, as the IP and TCP headers would have to be rewritten in
order to be accepted at their end.

A conference system mixes audio (or switches it, based on highest
activity), but normally it's an N-1 mix, so every party gets back
every voice /except/ theirs.

Hang on, I'm back-pedalling here. Is the far end analogue?

If so, it's possible that Sipgate's VOIP to PSTN gateway is not
correctly matched to the PSTN and therefore there's a transmission
line echo.

If the far end is VoIP and the call is VoIP all the way, then my
first reply holds.

Dave
Old January 14th 17, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richmond

Dave Higton writes:

Hang on, I'm back-pedalling here. Is the far end analogue?

Yes.

If so, it's possible that Sipgate's VOIP to PSTN gateway is not
correctly matched to the PSTN and therefore there's a transmission
line echo.

What can I do about that?
Old January 14th 17, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike Perkins

On 14/01/2017 21:46, Dave Higton wrote:
In message
Dave Higton wrote:

In message
Graham. wrote:

[...]

Could this be a local issue if there is a local VOIP to line interface,
where the phone and the VOIP box have different impedances.

If VOIP all the way then this is obviously not the case as transmit and
receive are isolated.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd