Crackly line but "quiet line test" seems okay

Old February 14th 17, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Default Crackly line but "quiet line test" seems okay

Been having a lot of trouble with line noise on incoming calls (from
mobiles and landlines) however whenever I try the quiet line test on 17070
the line seems fine.

Our broadband is also a bit flaky so I think the problem is real but I
curious as to why he line test (done several times) always seem to be fine
but incoming calls are frequently crackly.

Could it be due to the fact that I'm usually doing a line test after a
landline call and in some way the call is temporarily "healing" the line?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 14th 17, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Been having a lot of trouble with line noise on incoming calls (from
mobiles and landlines) however whenever I try the quiet line test on
17070
the line seems fine.

Our broadband is also a bit flaky so I think the problem is real but
curious as to why he line test (done several times) always seem to
be fine
but incoming calls are frequently crackly.

Could it be due to the fact that I'm usually doing a line test after
landline call and in some way the call is temporarily "healing" the
line?

That is more common than you might think.

Years ago we had a landline for a AA radio system that ran from NE
Leeds to a radio site about 13 miles E of York. The level would drop
like a stone occasionally and we would call the fault guy in York. He
would blast 0dBm on a loop test to the site from the serving exchange
and didn't find a fault. Thereafter the line would work perfectly. As
the line was EPS25B (i.e. 3dB loss max) we used -10dBm as our peak
level which wasn't enough to keep the circuit working.

One night a colleague got called out - the line had failed completely.
He told the BT duty man of this level problem. The guy went off and
did some tests and came back and said the circuit had failed between
Leicester and Oakham?????? Turns out the routing (get this) was from
NE Leeds to Bradford, back to Leeds at regional level, to Leicester,
to Oakham, to Lincoln, to York and then to the serving exchange.
Magic?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 14th 17, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Tim+" wrote

Been having a lot of trouble with line noise on incoming calls (from

mobiles and landlines) however whenever I try the quiet line test on 17070
the line seems fine.

Our broadband is also a bit flaky so I think the problem is real but I

curious as to why he line test (done several times) always seem to be fine
but incoming calls are frequently crackly.

Could it be due to the fact that I'm usually doing a line test after a

landline call and in some way the call is temporarily "healing" the line?

Yes.

Back in the day when I had dial up I posted such an observation on
uk.telecom under Subject "junk calls can be useful"

And thereafter used 17070/ 2 ring back test twice every week or so.

--
Mike D

Old February 15th 17, 01:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:15:45 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Been having a lot of trouble with line noise on incoming calls (from
mobiles and landlines) however whenever I try the quiet line test on 17070
the line seems fine.

Our broadband is also a bit flaky so I think the problem is real but I
curious as to why he line test (done several times) always seem to be fine
but incoming calls are frequently crackly.

Could it be due to the fact that I'm usually doing a line test after a
landline call and in some way the call is temporarily "healing" the line?

Tim

Apart from the ringing signal itself, there is a polarity reversal on
the wires when an incoming call is received which can heal high
resistance and non-linier junctions albeit temporarily.

Also you can use so-called "line wetting", a resistor permanently
across the line, of a value high enough not to seize the line, 15K is
sometimes suggested. Probably not exactly supported by Openreach, but
it can improve matters sometimes.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old February 15th 17, 08:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

A good ISP will understand this and will call out Openreach to resolve
it. They will brief Openreach as to the nature of the problem and
Openreach should send an appropriately skilled and briefed technician.

This is where it may go wrong. When the technician arrives you should
ask him to confirm that he already undertands the nature of the fault
and that he is prepared to work along the length of the line and re-make
all the joints. If he isn't appropriately briefed ask to talk to his
line manager, and report the difficulty to your ISP.

Always meet the technician yourself, in person; do not delegate this to
anybody else.

--
Graham J

Old February 15th 17, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Maybe, but I think they need more than just my word for it. I think that
they need at least one recorded instance of line noise on test. It's just
so friggin' intermittent that it's hard to demonstrate. :-(

Line all quiet this morning.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 15th 17, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

[...]

No, treat the problem as a broadband fault.

If you monitor the connection quality via your router using something
like Routerstats you should be able to record the fluctuations in SNR
margin, and any connection failures. If you are with Zen you should be
able to see (via the Partner Portal) a graph of connection failures over
the past several months. Some other ISPs record this information for
their own purposes but don't make it available to their customers.

From this information it should be clear that the line is not working
properly, and your ISP will be able to call out Openreach to resolve the
problem. Your ISP might ask you to carry out some tests first, so they
have confidence that the fault is not caused by your own equipment or
wiring - this is fair comment.

--
Graham J

Old February 15th 17, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Graham J wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

[...]

From this information it should be clear that the line is not working
properly, and your ISP will be able to call out Openreach to resolve the
problem. Your ISP might ask you to carry out some tests first, so they
have confidence that the fault is not caused by your own equipment or
wiring - this is fair comment.

I'll have a go with routerstats and see if I can get that to work. I
presume I have to leave a pc running continuously for that to log stuff?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old February 15th 17, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Tim+

I'll have a go with routerstats and see if I can get that to work.

No joy. Seems I've got "the wrong kind of router". :-(

(TP-link TD W9980)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls