sipgate lack of ringing tone

Old February 15th 17, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Default sipgate lack of ringing tone

When calling a sipgate number from a PSTN line I hear ringing tone while
waiting for the call to be answered, but when calling the same number
from a mobile (Tesco/O2), there is only silence until the call is
answered. The called VOIP phone is ringing in both cases, with no
issues of one-way audio when the calls are answered.

It seems this may be due to sipgate sending the ringing tone as "early
media" before the call is answered, is this sipgate's problem or the
mobile network's problem? Any settings that can influence it, or maybe
just use a different VOIP provider?
Old February 15th 17, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 21:49:51 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

When calling a sipgate number from a PSTN line I hear ringing tone while
waiting for the call to be answered, but when calling the same number
from a mobile (Tesco/O2), there is only silence until the call is
answered. The called VOIP phone is ringing in both cases, with no
issues of one-way audio when the calls are answered.

It seems this may be due to sipgate sending the ringing tone as "early
media" before the call is answered, is this sipgate's problem or the
mobile network's problem? Any settings that can influence it, or maybe
just use a different VOIP provider?

I would have thought it was normal to send ringback as early media,
otherwise the call would be treated as answered and chargable while it
was still ringing.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old February 16th 17, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Allan

On 15/02/2017 21:49, Andy Burns wrote:
When calling a sipgate number from a PSTN line I hear ringing tone while
waiting for the call to be answered, but when calling the same number
from a mobile (Tesco/O2), there is only silence until the call is
answered. The called VOIP phone is ringing in both cases, with no
issues of one-way audio when the calls are answered.

It seems this may be due to sipgate sending the ringing tone as "early
media" before the call is answered, is this sipgate's problem or the
mobile network's problem? Any settings that can influence it, or maybe
just use a different VOIP provider?

I've just rung my sipgate VOIP phone from my T-Mobile (EE) mobile and
when the VOIP phone rings and I can also hear it ringing on the mobile
handset at the same time.

Allan

---

Old February 16th 17, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Allan wrote:

I've just rung my sipgate VOIP phone from my T-Mobile (EE) mobile and
when the VOIP phone rings and I can also hear it ringing on the mobile
handset at the same time.

Thanks for testing.

I've been experimenting and the lack of ringing tone when calling from
the mobile seems due to the bluetooth connection to the gigaset, if I
turn that off, I do hear the ringback when calling from the mobile.

In fact experimenting further, during the ringing phase, on the mobile I
get the choice for the audio to go to bluetooth (which will send it to
the gigaset and therefore I don't hear it) or earpiece or speaker on the
mobile, both of which work, but it seems to default to first option if
bluetooth is enabled.

Old February 16th 17, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

On 15/02/2017 23:20, Andy Burns wrote:
Allan wrote:

I've just rung my sipgate VOIP phone from my T-Mobile (EE) mobile and
when the VOIP phone rings and I can also hear it ringing on the mobile
handset at the same time.

Thanks for testing.

I've been experimenting and the lack of ringing tone when calling from
the mobile seems due to the bluetooth connection to the gigaset, if I
turn that off, I do hear the ringback when calling from the mobile.

In fact experimenting further, during the ringing phase, on the mobile I
get the choice for the audio to go to bluetooth (which will send it to
the gigaset and therefore I don't hear it) or earpiece or speaker on the
mobile, both of which work, but it seems to default to first option if
bluetooth is enabled.

I have exactly the same Tesco/Sipgate/Gigaset and Bluetooth.
Today I'm getting ringing all the time, Bluetooth on and off. I would be
surprised if Bluetooth made a difference.

Ringing will be to do with the SIP protocol. You could put wireshark or
some other monitor on the line to see what the Gigaset is actually sending.

In the many years I have had this setup I have noticed sometimes it
doesn't ring. I've never investigated, I have no idea why, it seems to
be random.

Old February 16th 17, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cezar

On 16/02/2017 10:51, Nick wrote:

In the many years I have had this setup I have noticed sometimes it
doesn't ring. I've never investigated, I have no idea why, it seems to
be random.

I never seen a handset that generates a ringback / early media. Even if
it does, it's up to the provider to ignore it and generate the proper
ringback when it receives 180/183 from the handset.

c.

Old February 16th 17, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Nick wrote:

I have exactly the same Tesco/Sipgate/Gigaset and Bluetooth.
Today I'm getting ringing all the time, Bluetooth on and off. I would be
surprised if Bluetooth made a difference.

In my case, that's definitely it.

Ringing will be to do with the SIP protocol.
You could put wireshark or
some other monitor on the line to see what the Gigaset is actually sending.

I may do that later, just out of interest, used to tcpdump this stuff
with asterisk/linux years ago.

In the many years I have had this setup I have noticed sometimes it
doesn't ring. I've never investigated, I have no idea why, it seems to
be random.

Just to check we are testing the same thing, my setup as follows

mobile is a Nexus 5X, with bluetooth connection to the gigaset (i guess
it thinks the dx800A as a glorified handsfree type device)

the sipgate number is also registered from the gigaset.

so I call the VOIP number from the mobile, it says calling but I hear no
ringback in the mobile earpiece (it is sending the audio to bluetooth)
but I do hear the desk/dect phones ringing.

at this point I can toggle the audio from the mobile phone between
bluetooth/earpiece/speaker the first one I can't hear anywhere, the
second two I do hear the ringback.

when I answer on a DECT handset, the mobile automatically switches audio
to earpiece, so I hear the normal conversation.

Maybe the gigaset has a hand in automatically switching the audio from
bluetooth to earpiece? because from the mobile phone's point of view
it's behaving different from how it handles bluetooth to my car's handsfree

in the car the ringback is sent to the car's stereo, as you'd expect,
[in the case of the gigaset it's doing the same, except this audio has
nowhere to be heard one it gets to the dx800a] but in the car, the audio
doesn't get transferred back to the mobile's earpiece upon answering, it
stays with the car's handsfree, or it wouldn't be much use!

Old February 16th 17, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

On 16/02/2017 11:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Nick wrote:

I have exactly the same Tesco/Sipgate/Gigaset and Bluetooth.
Today I'm getting ringing all the time, Bluetooth on and off. I would be
surprised if Bluetooth made a difference.

In my case, that's definitely it.

Ringing will be to do with the SIP protocol.
You could put wireshark or
some other monitor on the line to see what the Gigaset is actually
sending.

I may do that later, just out of interest, used to tcpdump this stuff
with asterisk/linux years ago.

In the many years I have had this setup I have noticed sometimes it
doesn't ring. I've never investigated, I have no idea why, it seems to
be random.

Just to check we are testing the same thing, my setup as follows

mobile is a Nexus 5X, with bluetooth connection to the gigaset (i guess
it thinks the dx800A as a glorified handsfree type device)

OK I think I misunderstood. Whilst I too have a Nexus 5X the Bluetooth
device I use is just a headset connected to my Gigaset 510H PRO/N300 IP.

My Nexus 5X is directly connected to the same Sipgate account as the
Gigaset using CSipSimple. Why would you connect the Nexus 5X to the
Gigaset via Bluetooth?

[...]

Yeah, I don't know about any of this. Sorry for the confusion.

Old February 16th 17, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Nick wrote:

Why would you connect the Nexus 5X to the Gigaset via Bluetooth?

Because the gigaset is new and I'm seeing what it can do; the gigaset
thinks of the nexus as a GSM line while the nexus thinks of the gigaset
as a handsfree device.

It means if the mobile is charging downstairs and happens to ring when
I'm upstairs, I can answer on any DECT handset or the desk phone, also I
can make an outbound call from the desk or DECT phones using my mobile -
whether I'll keep it configured that way, I don't know yet.

Old February 16th 17, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:13:42 +0000, cezar
wrote:

On 16/02/2017 10:51, Nick wrote:

In the many years I have had this setup I have noticed sometimes it
doesn't ring. I've never investigated, I have no idea why, it seems to
be random.

I never seen a handset that generates a ringback / early media. Even if
it does, it's up to the provider to ignore it and generate the proper
ringback when it receives 180/183 from the handset.

c.

I noticed that there are many settings on CSipSimple on Android to
overcome "audio routing" issues. "Audio routing" in this context means
directing to the appropriate earpiece/speaker/BT
I get the impression it's all a bit of an RFC compliance nightmare.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%