I'm confused about my VOIP setup (not used for a long time)

Old April 2nd 17, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

Default I'm confused about my VOIP setup (not used for a long time)

I have two VOIP service accounts, on is at SIP-Discount and the other
is at SipGate. I use the SIP Discount one to make calls from my
mobile phone when I have a WiFi connection using my SipGate account.

What is confusing me now is that I have (from a long time ago) two
phone mumbers registered with these providers, one with each. How do
these work? I.e. if I call one of these numbers where does a phone
ring? The SipGate one was set up to call a phone on my boat (a
Siemens Gigaset via the boat's WiFi), what I can't work out now is how
a specific phone registers with the VOIP service as the number. What
is the difference between the registration of the Gigaset server on my
boat compared with the Gigaset server at home such that the one on the
boat replies to a specific number?

More generally when I run Zoiper or some other VOIP software and enter
my SipGate username/password are some associated with a phone mumber
and others not, or what?

--
Chris Green

Old April 2nd 17, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

On 02/04/2017 21:31, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Each Sip phone registers one or more connections to account(s) with a
Sip Voip company. Sipgate allows you to register more than one phone
against the same account.

In my case I register both my home gigaset and mobile phone to the same
sipgate account. Both the Gigaset and Mobile phones ring when my number
is called.

Old April 2nd 17, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Higton

In message
Chris Green wrote:

[...]

The number is associated with one service provider. SIP inherently
allows multiple user agent clients to be registered at the same time.
Ring the number and all the clients currently registered to that
service will ring.

Gigaset servers support several multiple services simultaneously, so
a Gigaset server will respond to all services that you have told it
to register with. Perhaps you have told the two Gigasets about
different services.

Dave
Old April 2nd 17, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 21:31:20 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

I am a little confused too, especially about your first paragraph
that seems to say you use sipdiscount.com to make calls with
sipgate.co.uk

First thing to say is sipdiscount.com is a Dellmont brand, they don't
issue UK telephone numbers (DDIs)
You can't call this account directly from the PSTN, and so is best
thought of as a means of making outgoing calls.

Sipgate.co.uk, on the other hand does give you a UK telephone number
with each account, and is good for outgoing and incoming calls.

What you may well have done with your sipdiscount.com account is to
register a number to be presented as CLID, and that may very well be
the phone number of your sipgate.co.uk account, but that doesn't mean
you can be called from the PSTN on your sipdiscount.com account, it
simply means people will return your calls on your sipgate.co.uk
account.

No doubt the Gigaset has provision for both accounts to be active
simultaneously.

Does that help at all or have I misunderstood completely?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 3rd 17, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

Nick wrote:
[...]

OK, I think. Can one register in such a way that only outgoing calls
work? ... and if one has more than one phone number with a provider
how do you 'connect' a client with a phone number?

--
Chris Green

Old April 3rd 17, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

Dave Higton wrote:
In message
Chris Green wrote:

[...]

I think one (the home Gigaset) is registered with both SIP Discount
and Sipgate whereas the other (boat) Gigaset is only registered with
Sipgate. In practice the main use is for making boat--home calls so
when calling from home it's calling itself as well as the boat, it
seems to work OK though.

--
Chris Green

Old April 3rd 17, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

Graham. wrote:
[...]

I have accounts with both, it's sipgate I use mostly and has the
number used on the boat.

First thing to say is sipdiscount.com is a Dellmont brand, they don't
issue UK telephone numbers (DDIs)

I think they used to, way back when, and I have a number from then.
It's an 0113 number, they didn't offer the 'any exchange you like'
range that sipgate offered.

You can't call this account directly from the PSTN, and so is best
thought of as a means of making outgoing calls.

Sipgate.co.uk, on the other hand does give you a UK telephone number
with each account, and is good for outgoing and incoming calls.

What you may well have done with your sipdiscount.com account is to
register a number to be presented as CLID, and that may very well be
the phone number of your sipgate.co.uk account, but that doesn't mean
you can be called from the PSTN on your sipdiscount.com account, it
simply means people will return your calls on your sipgate.co.uk
account.

No doubt the Gigaset has provision for both accounts to be active
simultaneously.

Does that help at all or have I misunderstood completely?

It's all becoming slowly clearer thanks to the replies here. I set it
up such a long time ago that I've forgotten even that which I did know!
The SIPDiscount account was set up in January 2006 and the Sipgate one
in May 2006 - ten years ago now! Even the Gigaset phones were bought
back in 2010.

--
Chris Green

Old April 3rd 17, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Woolley

On 03/04/17 10:21, Chris Green wrote:
OK, I think. Can one register in such a way that only outgoing calls
work? ... and if one has more than one phone number with a provider
how do you 'connect' a client with a phone number?

You register a SIP server, not a client with the provider.

This is the job of the SIP REGISTER method. The From and To headers
specify the address of record, which is the phone number you have with
the provider, and the Contact header specifies the device that you want
to handle incoming calls for that number, in this case, in terms of its
IP address.
Old April 3rd 17, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

David Woolley wrote:
On 03/04/17 10:21, Chris Green wrote:
OK, I think. Can one register in such a way that only outgoing calls
work? ... and if one has more than one phone number with a provider
how do you 'connect' a client with a phone number?

You register a SIP server, not a client with the provider.

This is the job of the SIP REGISTER method. The From and To headers
specify the address of record, which is the phone number you have with
the provider, and the Contact header specifies the device that you want
to handle incoming calls for that number, in this case, in terms of its
IP address.

Hmm, I suspect much of this is hidden when you configure Zoiper for
example. I need to look harder at the Zoiper set-up....

What Zoiper has in its account configuration is:-

SIP account options
Domain - i.e. sipgate.co.uk
Username - SIP-ID
Password - whatever
Caller ID Name - presumably this is the presented number when I call someone

Outbound options
Auth username
Use outbound proxy

.... and that's basically it, there are extras and codec and advanced
but they don't add anything basic as far as I can see.

On my Sipgate account there just seems to be a phone number associated
with my account there and that's all. Where/what are the From and To
headers associated with my Sipgate account?

In the 'Registered Devices' section of the 'Phones' section there is:-

Z IP: 84.92.49.234 | Port: 44810

Is this the SIP REGISTER stuff? Currently two VOIP clients are
registered from the same IP.

--
Chris Green

Old April 3rd 17, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 10:31:29 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Graham. wrote:
[...]

You may be right about that 10 year old number, I know for a fact that
about that time, one of the other Betamax/Dellmont SARL clones,
voipcheap.co.uk was issuing numbers, because, quite unexpectedly I got
one, and a nice memorable one it was too 0161 700 0201.

I didn't get to choose the STD area but traditionally 0161 7 numbers
relate to North Manchester, which is exactly where I am.
I think it was a coincidence.

It was lost/withdrawn many years ago, and to be honest I didn't make
much use of it while I had it, because the account would keep losing
registration.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%