Sipgate postal address authentication

Old May 20th 17, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine

Default Sipgate postal address authentication

On 14/05/17 21:29, Nick wrote:
On 13/05/2017 21:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

VirginMedia Cable, not much point in having a phone line too.

No VM here. Very little chance of it ever being installed in the
foreseeable future, from what I can gather. Given that our landline plan
includes all normal outgoing calls, we use that for calling out and the
Sipgate lines for incoming. With the Gigaset N300IP it's all on one
handset, although I wish a wired SIP phone with landline provision as
well would be useful.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 22nd 17, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 14/05/2017 21:29, Nick wrote:
On 13/05/2017 21:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

VirginMedia Cable, not much point in having a phone line too.

I thought they actually charged you MORE if you only had broadband
without the phone?
Old May 22nd 17, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Mon, 22 May 2017 19:01:05 +0200, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 15:00:38 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

On 14/05/2017 21:29, Nick wrote:
On 13/05/2017 21:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

VirginMedia Cable, not much point in having a phone line too.

I thought they actually charged you MORE if you only had broadband
without the phone?

Whatever, that phone would not amount to a copper pair landline.

The copper pair would originate from a roadside cabinet, but will have
the same functionality as an Openreach line. I'm not sure what point
you are making.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old May 22nd 17, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

news

wrote:

On 14/05/2017 21:29, Nick wrote:
On 13/05/2017 21:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

VirginMedia Cable, not much point in having a phone line too.

I thought they actually charged you MORE if you only had broadband
without the phone?

Whatever, that phone would not amount to a copper pair landline.

The copper pair would originate from a roadside cabinet, but will
have
the same functionality as an Openreach line. I'm not sure what point
you are making.

The feed from the street cab to your property is a sort of
figure-of-eight construction with co-ax for broadband on one side and
a two pair telephone cable on the other.

It is correct that you get charged more for B/B alone than for
B/B+phone, but there is nothing that says you have to use the phone.
Indeed the phone is the VM limitation, not only for their horrendous
call charges but also that they don't permit alternative call routers
such as 18185 and 1866 where BT do. You can of course use VoIP as an
alternative for cheaper calls (especially to mobiles) on which VM
impose no restriction.

There is one advantage of VM phone - DQ calls are free as are calls to
VM mobiles on some bundles.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old May 22nd 17, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

Graham wrote:

The copper pair would originate from a roadside cabinet, but will have
the same functionality as an Openreach line.

My mistake, I thought their phone lines were fxs ports on cable modems.

I assume they /are/ in VM Project Lightning areas ...

Old May 23rd 17, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Andrews[_2_]

On 22/05/2017 23:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Anthony R. Gold wrote:

Graham wrote:

The copper pair would originate from a roadside cabinet, but will have
the same functionality as an Openreach line.

My mistake, I thought their phone lines were fxs ports on cable modems.

I assume they /are/ in VM Project Lightning areas ...

---
http://www.avg.com

So the next challenge is to contact VM and ask for the technical
interface specification for their POTS service, something that they are
obliged to provide under their licence obligations (VM's equivalent of
the BT SIN's). Good luck in finding the right department!

Peter
Old May 23rd 17, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

On 22/05/2017 15:00, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 14/05/2017 21:29, Nick wrote:
On 13/05/2017 21:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

VirginMedia Cable, not much point in having a phone line too.

I thought they actually charged you MORE if you only had broadband
without the phone?

A friend got VM a couple of years ago, because the phone included deal
was cheaper she got that deal. She agreed with the installation guy not
to fit wires for the phone as she didn't want additional messy wires.

AIUI +phone is only cheaper for the first year at which point I guess
you should cancel the phone.

Old May 23rd 17, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

news
On 14/05/2017 21:29, Nick wrote:
On 13/05/2017 21:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

VirginMedia Cable, not much point in having a phone line too.

I thought they actually charged you MORE if you only had broadband
without the phone?

A friend got VM a couple of years ago, because the phone included
deal was cheaper she got that deal. She agreed with the installation
guy not to fit wires for the phone as she didn't want additional
messy wires.

AIUI +phone is only cheaper for the first year at which point I
guess you should cancel the phone.

No, the package with phone is always cheaper - at least it is on mine.

Old May 23rd 17, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

Graham wrote:

The copper pair would originate from a roadside cabinet, but will have
the same functionality as an Openreach line.

My mistake, I thought their phone lines were fxs ports on cable modems.

I assume they /are/ in VM Project Lightning areas ...

---
http://www.avg.com

So the next challenge is to contact VM and ask for the technical
interface specification for their POTS service, something that they are
obliged to provide under their licence obligations (VM's equivalent of
the BT SIN's). Good luck in finding the right department!

Peter

They do not have to provide a telephone service
They may be required to offer it, I really don't know, but the
customer needen't take. As has been said, this is somewhat moot, given
their package pricing.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old May 23rd 17, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Stepney

On 22/05/2017 20:35, Woody wrote:
[snipped]

It is correct that you get charged more for B/B alone than for
B/B+phone, but there is nothing that says you have to use the phone.
Indeed the phone is the VM limitation, not only for their horrendous
call charges but also that they don't permit alternative call routers
such as 18185 and 1866 where BT do. You can of course use VoIP as an
alternative for cheaper calls (especially to mobiles) on which VM
impose no restriction.

[snipped]

A couple of observations from a Virgin Media customer. B/B + phone is
cheaper for the first year only, then more expensive:

100B/B 32.25, 100+phone* 40.00 (32.00 year 1)
200B/B 37.25, 200+phone* 45.00 (37.00 year 1)
300B/B 47.25, 300+phone* 58.00 (50.00 year 1)

Line rental + Talk weekends

You certainly can use 18185 with a VM phone line (I do). Not by dialling
18185, of course, but by using their free access number (0808 170 3703).