BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-telecom-voip-uk-voip/)
-   -   Sipgate postal address authentication (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/44392-sipgate-postal-address-authentication.html)

Graham.[_3_] April 18th 17 10:10 PM

Sipgate postal address authentication

In the last week or so Sipgate have introduced a requirement for newly
created accounts, in addition to the normal email activation link,
they must now be activated with a code sent by post, to the address
registered for 999 purposes.
You cannot make or receive calls until you receive and submit the
code.

Providing Sipgate an address for Emergency Services has been necessary
for some time now, and a few hours after registering your account you
got a "Your emergency address has been accepted", but other than check
the street address matches the postcode it's hard to guess what they
check for.

I wonder if some ambulances and fire appliances have been dispatched
to addresses that have no idea who made the call?
Made up addresses invented for no other reason than to obtain multiple
CLIs?

AIUI registering an address for Emergency Services with a VoIP account
is an OFCOM requirement, but Sipgate is a German company, so why are
they so keen to comply? Dellmont is a Luxemburg outfit and they don't
route emergency calls, come to that neither do Skype, and that has
offered calls into and out of the PSTN for years.

Not to mention the fact that many VoIP devices are used away from the
home address, that's largely the whole point of them!

Someone explain it to me, because I'm confused.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Nick April 19th 17 03:30 PM

On 18/04/2017 22:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Dellmont and Skype don't give out free DID numbers.

Perhaps Sipgate is attempting to restrict the free DID numbers it gives
out to people who are more likely to use its revenue generating
services. A physical address may help it achieve this goal.

MissRiaElaine May 13th 17 01:07 AM

On 19/04/17 15:30, Nick wrote:

Dellmont and Skype don't give out free DID numbers.

Perhaps Sipgate is attempting to restrict the free DID numbers it gives
out to people who are more likely to use its revenue generating
services. A physical address may help it achieve this goal.

Given that as I have both a landline and more than one mobile, I don't
see myself using Sipgate for a 999 call. I wonder how many emergency
calls they handle..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Nick May 13th 17 10:35 AM

On 13/05/2017 01:07, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/04/17 15:30, Nick wrote:

Dellmont and Skype don't give out free DID numbers.

Perhaps Sipgate is attempting to restrict the free DID numbers it gives
out to people who are more likely to use its revenue generating
services. A physical address may help it achieve this goal.

Given that as I have both a landline and more than one mobile, I don't
see myself using Sipgate for a 999 call. I wonder how many emergency
calls they handle..?

I don't have a land-line and use Sipgate in preference to my mobile. So
I would use it.

The last time anyone rang 999 from my house was over 20 years ago. Back
then I was using my phone for internet not the other way around.

MissRiaElaine May 13th 17 09:09 PM

Sipgate postal address authentication

On 13/05/17 10:35, Nick wrote:

[snip]

I don't have a land-line and use Sipgate in preference to my mobile. So
I would use it.

The last time anyone rang 999 from my house was over 20 years ago. Back
then I was using my phone for internet not the other way around.

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Graham.[_3_] May 13th 17 09:23 PM

Sipgate postal address authentication

On Sat, 13 May 2017 21:09:43 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 13/05/17 10:35, Nick wrote:

[snip]

I don't have a land-line and use Sipgate in preference to my mobile. So
I would use it.

The last time anyone rang 999 from my house was over 20 years ago. Back
then I was using my phone for internet not the other way around.

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

Virgin Media cable will supply broadband only
Broadband provisioned over microwave link?
FTTP?
Satellite?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Bob Eager[_3_] May 13th 17 09:59 PM

Sipgate postal address authentication

On Sat, 13 May 2017 21:09:43 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 13/05/17 10:35, Nick wrote:

[snip]

I don't have a land-line and use Sipgate in preference to my mobile. So
I would use it.

The last time anyone rang 999 from my house was over 20 years ago. Back
then I was using my phone for internet not the other way around.

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

I have 3G backup on my router.

Nick May 14th 17 09:29 PM

On 13/05/2017 21:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

VirginMedia Cable, not much point in having a phone line too.

Cezar May 15th 17 01:42 PM

On 19/04/17 15:30, Nick wrote:

Dellmont and Skype don't give out free DID numbers.

Perhaps Sipgate is attempting to restrict the free DID numbers it gives
out to people who are more likely to use its revenue generating
services. A physical address may help it achieve this goal.

Given that as I have both a landline and more than one mobile, I don't
see myself using Sipgate for a 999 call. I wonder how many emergency
calls they handle..?

it does not matter. It's a legal requirement to provide emergency calls.

c.

MissRiaElaine May 20th 17 03:22 PM

wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

Virgin Media cable will supply broadband only
Broadband provisioned over microwave link?
FTTP?
Satellite?

No Virgin Media in this area, no sign of FTTP either, and the
prohibitive cost of satellite or microwave links means it looks like
we're hanging on to the landline for the foreseeable.

--
Ria in Aberdeen