Sipgate postal address authentication

Old April 18th 17, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Default Sipgate postal address authentication

In the last week or so Sipgate have introduced a requirement for newly
created accounts, in addition to the normal email activation link,
they must now be activated with a code sent by post, to the address
registered for 999 purposes.
You cannot make or receive calls until you receive and submit the
code.

Providing Sipgate an address for Emergency Services has been necessary
for some time now, and a few hours after registering your account you
got a "Your emergency address has been accepted", but other than check
the street address matches the postcode it's hard to guess what they
check for.

I wonder if some ambulances and fire appliances have been dispatched
to addresses that have no idea who made the call?
Made up addresses invented for no other reason than to obtain multiple
CLIs?

AIUI registering an address for Emergency Services with a VoIP account
is an OFCOM requirement, but Sipgate is a German company, so why are
they so keen to comply? Dellmont is a Luxemburg outfit and they don't
route emergency calls, come to that neither do Skype, and that has
offered calls into and out of the PSTN for years.

Not to mention the fact that many VoIP devices are used away from the
home address, that's largely the whole point of them!

Someone explain it to me, because I'm confused.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 19th 17, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

On 18/04/2017 22:10, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Dellmont and Skype don't give out free DID numbers.

Perhaps Sipgate is attempting to restrict the free DID numbers it gives
out to people who are more likely to use its revenue generating
services. A physical address may help it achieve this goal.
Old May 13th 17, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine

On 19/04/17 15:30, Nick wrote:

Dellmont and Skype don't give out free DID numbers.

Perhaps Sipgate is attempting to restrict the free DID numbers it gives
out to people who are more likely to use its revenue generating
services. A physical address may help it achieve this goal.

Given that as I have both a landline and more than one mobile, I don't
see myself using Sipgate for a 999 call. I wonder how many emergency
calls they handle..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 13th 17, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

On 13/05/2017 01:07, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/04/17 15:30, Nick wrote:

Dellmont and Skype don't give out free DID numbers.

Perhaps Sipgate is attempting to restrict the free DID numbers it gives
out to people who are more likely to use its revenue generating
services. A physical address may help it achieve this goal.

Given that as I have both a landline and more than one mobile, I don't
see myself using Sipgate for a 999 call. I wonder how many emergency
calls they handle..?

I don't have a land-line and use Sipgate in preference to my mobile. So
I would use it.

The last time anyone rang 999 from my house was over 20 years ago. Back
then I was using my phone for internet not the other way around.
Old May 13th 17, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine

On 13/05/17 10:35, Nick wrote:

[snip]

I don't have a land-line and use Sipgate in preference to my mobile. So
I would use it.

The last time anyone rang 999 from my house was over 20 years ago. Back
then I was using my phone for internet not the other way around.

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 13th 17, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Sat, 13 May 2017 21:09:43 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 13/05/17 10:35, Nick wrote:

[snip]

I don't have a land-line and use Sipgate in preference to my mobile. So
I would use it.

The last time anyone rang 999 from my house was over 20 years ago. Back
then I was using my phone for internet not the other way around.

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

Virgin Media cable will supply broadband only
Broadband provisioned over microwave link?
FTTP?
Satellite?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old May 13th 17, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob Eager[_3_]

On Sat, 13 May 2017 21:09:43 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 13/05/17 10:35, Nick wrote:

[snip]

I don't have a land-line and use Sipgate in preference to my mobile. So
I would use it.

The last time anyone rang 999 from my house was over 20 years ago. Back
then I was using my phone for internet not the other way around.

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

I have 3G backup on my router.
Old May 14th 17, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

On 13/05/2017 21:09, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

VirginMedia Cable, not much point in having a phone line too.
Old May 15th 17, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cezar

On 19/04/17 15:30, Nick wrote:

Dellmont and Skype don't give out free DID numbers.

Perhaps Sipgate is attempting to restrict the free DID numbers it gives
out to people who are more likely to use its revenue generating
services. A physical address may help it achieve this goal.

Given that as I have both a landline and more than one mobile, I don't
see myself using Sipgate for a 999 call. I wonder how many emergency
calls they handle..?

it does not matter. It's a legal requirement to provide emergency calls.

c.

Old May 20th 17, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine

wrote:

How do you access Sipgate without a landline..?

Virgin Media cable will supply broadband only
Broadband provisioned over microwave link?
FTTP?
Satellite?

No Virgin Media in this area, no sign of FTTP either, and the
prohibitive cost of satellite or microwave links means it looks like
we're hanging on to the landline for the foreseeable.

--
Ria in Aberdeen