Can I route from incoming WAN1 to outgoing WAN2 on a Vigor 2820n?

Old April 25th 17, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default Can I route from incoming WAN1 to outgoing WAN2 on a Vigor 2820n?

I have a Draytek Vigor 2820n with standard ADSL on WAN1 and a Plusnet
Hub One (with its own phone line) on WAN2.

I would like to be able to get at the Plusnet Hub One's web
configuration from 'outside'. It doesn't allow this by itself (or at
least don't think it does, please tell me if it does) so I was
thinking would it be possible to route a connection coming in on WAN1
to connect to the Plusnet Hub One on WAN2.

Currently I have external configuration of the Vigor 2820n enabled
using a high numbered port so I know I can connect a browser from
outside to the 2820n. I have added a NAT port redirection rule to
connect port 50081 from outside to the IP address of the Plusnet Hub
One on WAN2 and I have opened the firewall for this port. However it
doesn't work. Does NAT redirection only work to LAN IPs? Is there
maybe something else I can do to get what I want?

--
Chris Green

Old April 25th 17, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 13:16:03 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

If you do this, you will become part of the internet proper and any old traffic will flow through your node.

I would expect Draytek would have modified the spanning tree algorithm to prevent tromboning like this.
Old April 25th 17, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Chris Green wrote:
I have a Draytek Vigor 2820n with standard ADSL on WAN1 and a Plusnet
Hub One (with its own phone line) on WAN2.

I would like to be able to get at the Plusnet Hub One's web
configuration from 'outside'. It doesn't allow this by itself (or at
least don't think it does, please tell me if it does) so I was
thinking would it be possible to route a connection coming in on WAN1
to connect to the Plusnet Hub One on WAN2.

Currently I have external configuration of the Vigor 2820n enabled
using a high numbered port so I know I can connect a browser from
outside to the 2820n. I have added a NAT port redirection rule to
connect port 50081 from outside to the IP address of the Plusnet Hub
One on WAN2 and I have opened the firewall for this port. However it
doesn't work. Does NAT redirection only work to LAN IPs? Is there
maybe something else I can do to get what I want?

Guessing:

Use the lan-ip of the hub one.
Redirection rule should be to port 80.
firewall rule should be for lan-ip of hub one port 80.
I guess firewall rule for 50081 already exists.

Old April 25th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

I would expect Draytek would have modified the spanning tree algorithm to prevent tromboning like this.

Do those words actually mean anything?

Old April 25th 17, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Andy Furniss wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

I would expect Draytek would have modified the spanning tree algorithm
to prevent tromboning like this.

Do those words actually mean anything?

Yes - it may be slang but it's a very effective description of the
situation.

--
Graham J

Old April 25th 17, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Chronos wrote:
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 14:28:08 +0100 Andy Furniss [email protected] wrote:

Use the lan-ip of the hub one. Redirection rule should be to port
80. firewall rule should be for lan-ip of hub one port 80. I guess
firewall rule for 50081 already exists.

I suspect the HubOne will refuse to respond to an external IP, which
really is as it should be for a consumer level device. NAT redirect
packets still contain the source IP.

Good point - but then it may just firewall on interfaces, so there's a
chance - I (thankfully) don't have one to test.

If it were the case, then depending on what the vigor lets you do
(CLI?), it may be possible to snat the incoming connection onto the
vigors lan address.
Old April 25th 17, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

it may be slang but it's a very effective description of the
situation.

I used to use 'tromboning' to describe incoming voice calls that were
patched to an outbound voice call instead of setting up a divert ...
until someone pointed me to urban dictionary's definition, now I say
'hairpinning' instead.
Old April 25th 17, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Chris Green wrote:
I have a Draytek Vigor 2820n with standard ADSL on WAN1 and a Plusnet
Hub One (with its own phone line) on WAN2.

I would like to be able to get at the Plusnet Hub One's web
configuration from 'outside'. It doesn't allow this by itself (or at
least don't think it does, please tell me if it does) so I was
thinking would it be possible to route a connection coming in on WAN1
to connect to the Plusnet Hub One on WAN2.

Currently I have external configuration of the Vigor 2820n enabled
using a high numbered port so I know I can connect a browser from
outside to the 2820n. I have added a NAT port redirection rule to
connect port 50081 from outside to the IP address of the Plusnet Hub
One on WAN2 and I have opened the firewall for this port. However it
doesn't work. Does NAT redirection only work to LAN IPs? Is there
maybe something else I can do to get what I want?

Yes, but you would need help from a computer on the "inside"

Consider:

The 2820 creates a LAN of the form 192.168.A.0 with the router itself
probably at 192.168.A.254

The Plusnet router creates a LAN of the form 192.168.C.0 with its own
address probably being 192.168.C.254 and this connects to the Vigor WAN2
port. The Vigor WAN2 port will get its IP from the Plusnet router via
DHCP - suppose it is 192.168.C.1

A computer on the 192.168.A.0 network can talk to the Plusnet router
because the Vigor router provides a static route from its LAN to WAN2 -
it will show that:

Plunet router IP 192.168.C.254 routed via WAN2 192.168.C.1
All traffic for IP 192.168.C.0-255 is delivered to the WAN2 port.

So from "outside" you could set up a VPN or whatever to give you access
via WAN1 to the computer on the "inside", and from that you could open
its browser on the Plusnet router's management page. The limitation of
a VPN is that the originating node knows only about the public IP
address of your WAN1, and the LAN address (192.168.A.0) of the "inside"
network that it tunnels into. It cannot know about a totally different
private LAN of the form 192.168.C.0

A better way to achieve this would be to get a VDSL router that allows
management from the internet.
Old April 25th 17, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Andy Burns wrote:
Graham J wrote:

it may be slang but it's a very effective description of the
situation.

I used to use 'tromboning' to describe incoming voice calls that were
patched to an outbound voice call instead of setting up a divert ...
until someone pointed me to urban dictionary's definition, now I say
'hairpinning' instead.

Now hairpinning I have heard of.

Still not so sure about the spanning tree algorithm bit. I would really
associate that with "proper" routing done by ISPs.
Old April 25th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Andy Furniss wrote:
Chronos wrote:
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 14:28:08 +0100 Andy Furniss [email protected] wrote:

Use the lan-ip of the hub one. Redirection rule should be to
port 80. firewall rule should be for lan-ip of hub one port 80. I
guess firewall rule for 50081 already exists.

I suspect the HubOne will refuse to respond to an external IP,
which really is as it should be for a consumer level device. NAT
redirect packets still contain the source IP.

Good point - but then it may just firewall on interfaces, so there's
a chance - I (thankfully) don't have one to test.

Looking at Graham Js post that wouldn't work anyway - I guess the HubOne
wouldn't know how to return to the remote IP other than sending it to
it's default wan route.

If it were the case, then depending on what the vigor lets you do
(CLI?), it may be possible to snat the incoming connection onto the
vigors lan address.

Maybe still a chance with this if you could snat onto the address handed
to the vigor by thr HubOne.