Help with lack of connectivity in network.

Old May 6th 17, 03:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 27 + on desktop

Default Help with lack of connectivity in network.

I have a wifi network which comprises a Technicolor TG582n router
(as supplied by Plusnet a few years back), desktop computer (Nova), an
Advent4211C Netbook (Nettie) and an Epson 335 Printer/Scanner/Copier.
Also connected to the router are, Sonyericsson Xperia smartphone,
Medion Lifetab and the a Sky+ set top box. All but the Sky+ are
connected by wifi. Nova is connected to the printer by a short ethernet
cable as is the Sky+ box. Nettie is connected to the printer by wifi
but that connection no longer works.
Nova and Nettie up 'til a few days communicated well as did Nettie
with the printer. Then quite suddenly these links failed. I've
checked everything I can think of and everything appears to be set OK.
Anyhow I've done a few checks and find that if I ping, or tracert these
three they just time out and yet both Nova and Nettie successfully
connect (ping and tracert) with sites on the internet. Also when I call
up 'My Network Places' Nova only lists Nova and Nettie only lists
Nettie. Until the fault occurred both listed themselves and the other.
As an additional test I disabled all shields on the Avast
installations on both Nova and Nettie and there still wasn't
connectivity between Nova and Nettie or Nettie and the printer.
It seems that the computers on my Network will communicate with
Internet site but not with each other. This leads me to think that I
must some inadvertently change some setting within my network that still
allows the computers to communicate with the Internet but not within my
network. Has anyone any idea as to what might be wrong? What have I
overlooked in my testing?

NB. Both computers are quite old and still using Windows XP Home
Edition
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 27+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old May 7th 17, 11:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 27 + on desktop

Flyig u 27 + on desktop wrote:
[...]

Panic over, it appears that something had gone amiss with the workings
of the router. It appears that all is well following a router reboot. I
suppose that should have been the first action I should have taken ,
but it had seemingly been working continuously for 12 days without any
changes, like changes in Plusnet gateway or dropped connections.

Old May 7th 17, 02:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 07/05/17 11:56, Flyi�g �u� 2��7 + on desktop wrote:
Panic ove

Glad you fixed it; sometimes raising the problem in a forum brings
stellar alignments to bear and the problem fixes itself ...

In future, though, you'd be better to post in uk.comp.homebuilt, which
is one of the few groups left that has well-informed people (as well as
me), and these days is tolerant of well-researched and well-presented
technical questions on most PC-related subjects.

--
Henry Law n e w s @ l a w s h o u s e . o r g
Manchester, England
Old May 7th 17, 02:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 07/05/17 14:50, Henry Law wrote:
one of the few groups

s /few/few active/

Old May 7th 17, 04:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 7 May 2017 14:50:42 +0100
Henry Law wrote:

In future, though, you'd be better to post in uk.comp.homebuilt,
which is one of the few groups left that has well-informed people (as
well as me), and these days is tolerant of well-researched and
well-presented technical questions on most PC-related subjects.

I was under the impression that the same people who post there also
watch some of the moribund UK groups, and will respond to the
occasional post in them.

Old May 7th 17, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 07/05/17 16:18, Rob Morley wrote:
I was under the impression that the same people who post there also
watch some of the moribund UK groups, and will respond to the
occasional post in them.

Indeed; I suppose I'm one of them and I know you are another. But I
thought it might be helpful if the OP knew the full situation.

Old May 7th 17, 11:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 27 + on desktop

Henry Law wrote:
On 07/05/17 11:56, Flyi?g ?u? 2??7 + on desktop wrote:
Panic ove

Glad you fixed it; sometimes raising the problem in a forum brings
stellar alignments to bear and the problem fixes itself ...

In future, though, you'd be better to post in uk.comp.homebuilt, which
is one of the few groups left that has well-informed people (as well
as me), and these days is tolerant of well-researched and
well-presented technical questions on most PC-related subjects.

Thanks for the info Henry.