DrayTek Vigor 2830n Oddities

Old June 10th 17, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default DrayTek Vigor 2830n Oddities

Have one of these routers ...
Model Name : Vigor2830n
Firmware Version: 3.6.8.6_sb_211801
Build Date/Time: Dec 6 2016 15:00:28
.... and, apart from it not supplying local DNS when supplying local
DHCP, it's pretty good. However ...

Additionally I have a Cisco WRT320N with a DD-WRT v24-sp2 build
configured as a wireless Client Bridge, which links via WiFi my
bedroom on the top floor of the house to the rest of the LAN on the
ground floor. When this was bridging to another Cisco WRT320N DD-WRT
v24-sp2 build everything worked fine, but now that it's bridging to
the DV2830n, there are some weird anomalies ...

Now neither the Cisco WRT320N nor the QNAP NMP-1000 network media
player plugged in to it can find an NTP server, so neither show the
correct time. This was what first drew my attention to the problem.

If I log in to either the Cisco or the QNAP and try and ping, by IP
address, anything on the ground floor part of the LAN other than the
DV2830n itself, it succeeds, but with the DV2830n itself and anything
beyond it on the internet, the latter whether by name OR IP ADDRESS,
there is total packet loss.

The Cisco will not let me run ntpdate directly from it's console, but
on the QNAP NMP-1000 if I give the command ...
ntpdate uk.pool.ntp.org
.... unsurprisingly there is a long pause before it comes back with ...
Error : Name or service not known
1 Jan 00:11:00 ntpdate[1586]: can't find host uk.pool.ntp.org
1 Jan 00:11:00 ntpdate[1586]: no servers can be used, exiting
.... while if I try the IP address directly ...
ntpdate 217.114.59.66
.... it comes back more quickly with ...
1 Jan 00:46:56 ntpdate[2805]: no server suitable for synchronization
found.

However, if I run the same command from a server on the ground floor
it works correctly, even by name alone. Further, the QNAP can see the
servers on the ground floor and stream content from them without any
difficulty. Temporarily disabling the firewall on the DV2830n doesn't
appear to make any difference.

If the Cisco and the QNAP could access the NTP sever by IP address,
I'd be assuming that this is the usual "**** programming of DNS in
routers" problem, but the fact that even pinging the server by its IP
address fails, suggests that either that is not the issue here, or at
least it's not the only one.

TIA, for any constructive suggestions.
Old June 10th 17, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Java Jive wrote:
Have one of these routers ...
Model Name : Vigor2830n
Firmware Version: 3.6.8.6_sb_211801
Build Date/Time: Dec 6 2016 15:00:28
... and, apart from it not supplying local DNS when supplying local
DHCP, it's pretty good. However ...

Agree about the DNS (I have a 2820n), once upon a time routers used to
do local DNS but apparently no more.

Additionally I have a Cisco WRT320N with a DD-WRT v24-sp2 build
configured as a wireless Client Bridge, which links via WiFi my
bedroom on the top floor of the house to the rest of the LAN on the
ground floor. When this was bridging to another Cisco WRT320N DD-WRT
v24-sp2 build everything worked fine, but now that it's bridging to
the DV2830n, there are some weird anomalies ...

Now neither the Cisco WRT320N nor the QNAP NMP-1000 network media
player plugged in to it can find an NTP server, so neither show the
correct time. This was what first drew my attention to the problem.

Again I've found this problem seems to be getting worse, several
routers I have claim to be able to use NTP services but in practice
don't seem to be able to do so.

Is there, maybe, an update to the way that NTP works that has not been
seen by the people who program routers?

If I log in to either the Cisco or the QNAP and try and ping, by IP
address, anything on the ground floor part of the LAN other than the
DV2830n itself, it succeeds, but with the DV2830n itself and anything
beyond it on the internet, the latter whether by name OR IP ADDRESS,
there is total packet loss.

Sounds like a firewall issue. You do know that to get it to work
through NAT you have to open up the firewall as well as setting up
port forwarding do you?

[...]

Maybe you need port forwarding for something?

Old June 10th 17, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Java Jive wrote:
[...]

I've found strange behaviour when connecting some WiFi client bridges to
a Vigor router. I generally use Vigor routers so I've no idea whether
other routers show the same problem. This usually occurs when I try to
bind the MAC address of a device beyond the WiFi bridge to an IP
address. The ARP cache in the router shows that the device has the MAC
address of the WiFi bridge, not of the device itself. So the client
doesn't get the desired IP address. In fact, it might not get one at all!

If the WiFi client is configured as a router then all is well, but of
course you then have double NAT, once in the router, then again in the
WiFi client; and the WiFi router has to be configured to use a different
LAN subnet. This might not be a problem if the client only needs
internet access, but if the client needs to communicate with other
things on the LAN managed by the Vigor then you need to set up routing
between the two subnets.

The problem occurs with some WiFi client bridges (e.g Engenius), but not
others (e.g. Vigor).

To eliminate this as a possible cause of the problem, please connect a
network switch to the router using an Ethernet cable, and connect your
QNAP NMP-1000 network media player to that switch. Do you then get
correct behaviour?

Do you get the correct behaviour when the QNAP NMP-1000 network media
player is connected directly to the router via an Ethernet cable?

Is it possible to configure the QNAP NMP-1000 network media player with
a static IP?

--
Graham J

Old June 12th 17, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:07:29 +0100, Java Jive
wrote:

Now neither the Cisco WRT320N nor the QNAP NMP-1000 network media
player plugged in to it can find an NTP server, so neither show the
correct time. This was what first drew my attention to the problem.

Well, sort of, I've solved this - I say 'sort of' because although I
know what I did to solve it, so in that sense it's a solution, I'm not
sure what aspect of the router's configuration has turned out
differently, and in that sense it's not a solution. Basically, for
other reasons, I reset it back to factory defaults, and then
painstakingly re-entered all my settings. Now both the Cisco and the
QNAP are picking up internet time signals again.
Old June 12th 17, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

wrote:

Now neither the Cisco WRT320N nor the QNAP NMP-1000 network media
player plugged in to it can find an NTP server, so neither show the
correct time. This was what first drew my attention to the problem.

Well, sort of, I've solved this - I say 'sort of' because although I
know what I did to solve it, so in that sense it's a solution, I'm not
sure what aspect of the router's configuration has turned out
differently, and in that sense it's not a solution. Basically, for
other reasons, I reset it back to factory defaults, and then
painstakingly re-entered all my settings. Now both the Cisco and the
QNAP are picking up internet time signals again.

Some of the firewall settings - such as DoS Defense limits on time
server or DNS lookups - can be too limiting.

Did you save the previous configuration? If so, save the currently
working configuration, document it in as much detail as possible then
reload the non-working one and compare each setting. Tedious, I know ...!

--
Graham J

Old June 14th 17, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Guest

Graham J wrote (apparently) in uk.telecom.broadband on Mon 12 Jun 2017
17:33:31:

wrote:

[...]

At work last week I had to reboot an old laptop that does not keep time
properly so was set to use uk.pool.ntp.org and they obvioulsy had some
problems at the time I tried to update. pool.ntp.org worked, and, an hour
later, so did uk.pool.ntp.org - I am not sure what the issue was.
--
MrGuest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere