BT Fibre Availability - To the Premises!

Old June 11th 17, 07:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thesimpsons[_2_]

Default BT Fibre Availability - To the Premises!

I've just noticed using.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
That all the fibre cabinets in my area (01934) now state, FTTP now available
on demand, with 330 down and 30 up.

I've not noticed this before, is this the same in other areas?
Having done a little research an average figure of 500 is mentioned for
connection, depending on distance from the cabinet.
Will there be many takers?
Fred S

Old June 11th 17, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

thesimpsons wrote:
I've just noticed using.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
That all the fibre cabinets in my area (01934) now state, FTTP now
available on demand, with 330 down and 30 up.

I've not noticed this before, is this the same in other areas?
Having done a little research an average figure of 500 is mentioned for
connection, depending on distance from the cabinet.
Will there be many takers?
Fred S

Not many - a few small businesses with might see an advantage.

Larger businesses who already have fibre via a leased line (which
probably incurred a 50,000 setup charge) might save some money or could
benefit from the added connection resilience.

But the people who really need the service are those like me in a rural
area where we get 2MBits/sec or less and have no chance of getting FTTC
because our lines go direct to the exchange without passing through a
nearby cabinet. So we don't stand any chance of ever getting a faster
connection unless it becomes a legal obligation for Openreach to provide it.

--
Graham J

Old June 11th 17, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

thesimpsons wrote:

I've just noticed using.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
That all the fibre cabinets in my area (01934) now state, FTTP now available
on demand, with 330 down and 30 up.
I've not noticed this before, is this the same in other areas?

Openreach had a "stop" on offering the FTTPoD service, but it was lifted
a year ago ...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/05/bt-update-fttpod-stop-sell-removal-3db-trial-long-range-vdsl.html

Having done a little research an average figure of 500 is mentioned for
connection, depending on distance from the cabinet.
Will there be many takers?

Not here, 78/20 is fine.

Expect FTTP monthly cost to fall from September, in line with the
recently announced G.Fast trial prices, no mention of reducing the
install price ...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/05/openreach-introductory-pricing-160mbps-330mbps-fttp-broadband.html

Old June 11th 17, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont[_2_]

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 08:28:58 +0100, Graham J wrote:

But the people who really need the service are those like me in a rural
area where we get 2MBits/sec or less and have no chance of getting FTTC
because our lines go direct to the exchange without passing through a
nearby cabinet. So we don't stand any chance of ever getting a faster
connection unless it becomes a legal obligation for Openreach to provide it.

I'm not down to those speeds and get 8meg from ADSL MAX, the only
option until recently. I've looked today and I now have the option of
both FTTC and FTTP even though I am directly connected to the exchange
with no cabinet on the route so you might have the option too before
very long. We don't even have ADSL2+ here but they seem to have skipped
that altogether.

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old June 11th 17, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Rodney Pont wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 08:28:58 +0100, Graham J wrote:

But the people who really need the service are those like me in a rural
area where we get 2MBits/sec or less and have no chance of getting FTTC
because our lines go direct to the exchange without passing through a
nearby cabinet. So we don't stand any chance of ever getting a faster
connection unless it becomes a legal obligation for Openreach to provide it.

I'm not down to those speeds and get 8meg from ADSL MAX, the only
option until recently. I've looked today and I now have the option of
both FTTC and FTTP even though I am directly connected to the exchange
with no cabinet on the route so you might have the option too before
very long. We don't even have ADSL2+ here but they seem to have skipped
that altogether.

But presumably you are less than about 1km from the exchange?

I am about 5km so FTTC over that length of copper would be no better
than ADSL.

Peversely there is fibre in the village - it runs to a business that has
ISDN30 or something similar. It's been there for many years - I know
because the county highways people cut it in error in July 2001 when
digging drainage grips in the verges.

But without a green cabinet carrying our phone lines it's no use!

--
Graham J

Old June 11th 17, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont[_2_]

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 10:04:17 +0100, Graham J wrote:

But the people who really need the service are those like me in a rural
area where we get 2MBits/sec or less and have no chance of getting FTTC
because our lines go direct to the exchange without passing through a
nearby cabinet. So we don't stand any chance of ever getting a faster
connection unless it becomes a legal obligation for Openreach to provide it.

I'm not down to those speeds and get 8meg from ADSL MAX, the only
option until recently. I've looked today and I now have the option of
both FTTC and FTTP even though I am directly connected to the exchange
with no cabinet on the route so you might have the option too before
very long. We don't even have ADSL2+ here but they seem to have skipped
that altogether.

But presumably you are less than about 1km from the exchange?

Just about, slightly over.

I am about 5km so FTTC over that length of copper would be no better
than ADSL.

Peversely there is fibre in the village - it runs to a business that has
ISDN30 or something similar. It's been there for many years - I know
because the county highways people cut it in error in July 2001 when
digging drainage grips in the verges.

But without a green cabinet carrying our phone lines it's no use!

Even though they are offering FTTP the idea of putting in a km of fibre
might make them change their mind if it was ordered.

There are all sorts of things that may get you higher speeds, like mini
cabinets, but they all have to have the supporting cables and they are
likely to be a problem. Maybe that fibre will be your salvation one day
:-)

Old June 11th 17, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Rodney Pont wrote:
[...]

No, they would simply price the installation to cover their costs.
probably there is a suitable duct for most of the route so blowing fibre
ought to be reasonably cheap.

--
Graham J

Old June 11th 17, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

thesimpsons wrote:
I've just noticed using.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
That all the fibre cabinets in my area (01934) now state, FTTP now
available on demand, with 330 down and 30 up.

I've not noticed this before, is this the same in other areas?
Having done a little research an average figure of 500 is mentioned for
connection, depending on distance from the cabinet.
Will there be many takers?
Fred S

Recent experience of a user here -

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fib...xperience.html

Old June 11th 17, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Graham J" wrote in message
news
Rodney Pont wrote:
[...]

Er, blowing fibre requires there to be a sleeve there for it to be
blown down - and it is fitting that sleeve into the duct that takes
time and costs money.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old June 11th 17, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

thesimpsons wrote:

I've just noticed using.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
That all the fibre cabinets in my area (01934) now state, FTTP now
available on demand, with 330 down and 30 up.

I've not noticed this before, is this the same in other areas?
Having done a little research an average figure of 500 is mentioned for
connection, depending on distance from the cabinet.
Will there be many takers?
Fred S

This service relies on krone tool master bation nation principles
of luring customers with fake fibre and then by slight of hand
deliver a copper cable into the building with
the help of a krone tool master baiter.

A 10gbit or higher data rate fibre arrives at a cabinet,
its broken into dozens of
copper internet wires and fed to the building
by falsely marketing g.slow as g.fast fibre and installed
into the premises by someone master bating with a krone tool.

Naturally dim wits are unable to lick the copper wires
and tell if the upload speeds are same as downloads speed
and just fall back wards and sign on the dotted line.

Whoosh!

All the moneeey is gone now and you now have exactly the same
thing as you had before - copper delivered services,
fitted by master baiting with a krone tool
but paying 5000 for the service for a slight improvement
in speed.

While your neighbour with Hyperoptic, Gigaclear, B4RN,
etc can get 1 gigabit symmetric pure fibre (equal
upload and download speeds) to 3% of UK household with
real fibre (no copper anywhere) entering the building
for under 50.

So g.slow service is 100x pricier and hardly different
to ordering two ADSL line and bonding it.

Waaat a fscking result eh?