A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old June 19th 17, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Chronos wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 21:59:14 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

Can anyone recommend a VDSL2/FTTC router which has a firewall that
works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?


Stick LEDE on the plusnet hub zero ...


I've been saying this since he last asked. I'm loath to suggest it
again lest I sound like a broken record.


See my comments elsewhere in the thread. However I am becoming more
interested in the idea. How difficult are the required hardware
modifications? I have looked at the LEDE site but it's not
*incredibly* clear what one needs to do.

I have installed OpenWrt on a router so know the basics, however I
just needed to rig up a serial lead to do that, the router (Mikrotik)
had a serial port already.

--
Chris Green

  #12  
Old June 19th 17, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 566
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Chris Green wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Can anyone recommend a VDSL2/FTTC router which has a firewall that
works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?



Retain your V2820n and configure the Plusnet device as a dumb VDSL
modem, connected to WAN2 on the Vigor. If the Plusnet device can't be
configured as a dumb modem, buy a Vigor 130 see:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

Well, sort of possible but I'm not too keen on this solution for a
couple of reasons:-

The 2820n has just one Gigabit port so connections 'across' it
will be only 100Mb/s. I realise this won't affect the FTTC speed
as that's less than 100Mb/s but it's a nuisance.

As a consequence of the above I'd want to have another switch
between the 2820n and most of my LAN devices, which then means I
have *three* boxes connecting me to the internet. It'll work but
it is messy and will cost more in electricity.


All the available options will cost you a little!

My quess is that you have more devices than the available 4 ports on the
2820n so you need a switch anyway. It's particularly worth using
Ethernet cables rather than WiFi wherever possible, for reliability and
performance.

Further, I think it's quite unlikely that anything you have will
saturate a 100Mbits/sec link for long enough to be inconvenient, so I'm
sure the 2820n will meet your needs.

--
Graham J


  #13  
Old June 19th 17, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Can anyone recommend a VDSL2/FTTC router which has a firewall that
works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?



Retain your V2820n and configure the Plusnet device as a dumb VDSL
modem, connected to WAN2 on the Vigor. If the Plusnet device can't be
configured as a dumb modem, buy a Vigor 130 see:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

Well, sort of possible but I'm not too keen on this solution for a
couple of reasons:-

The 2820n has just one Gigabit port so connections 'across' it
will be only 100Mb/s. I realise this won't affect the FTTC speed
as that's less than 100Mb/s but it's a nuisance.

As a consequence of the above I'd want to have another switch
between the 2820n and most of my LAN devices, which then means I
have *three* boxes connecting me to the internet. It'll work but
it is messy and will cost more in electricity.


All the available options will cost you a little!

Except running costs, about 1 per watt per year. Not a huge amount
but three boxes each taking (say) 10 watts is 30/year. Newer routers
are better but my Gigabit switch takes 19 watts if I remember right.


My quess is that you have more devices than the available 4 ports on the
2820n so you need a switch anyway. It's particularly worth using
Ethernet cables rather than WiFi wherever possible, for reliability and
performance.

Further, I think it's quite unlikely that anything you have will
saturate a 100Mbits/sec link for long enough to be inconvenient, so I'm
sure the 2820n will meet your needs.

I do tend to copy large files around the place so notice if things
aren't running at Gigabit speeds.

--
Chris Green

  #14  
Old June 19th 17, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Chris Green wrote:
Chronos wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 21:59:14 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

Can anyone recommend a VDSL2/FTTC router which has a firewall that
works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Stick LEDE on the plusnet hub zero ...


I've been saying this since he last asked. I'm loath to suggest it
again lest I sound like a broken record.


See my comments elsewhere in the thread. However I am becoming more
interested in the idea. How difficult are the required hardware
modifications? I have looked at the LEDE site but it's not
*incredibly* clear what one needs to do.

I have installed OpenWrt on a router so know the basics, however I
just needed to rig up a serial lead to do that, the router (Mikrotik)
had a serial port already.

Installing OpenWrt/LEDE on the HH5A doesn't look as if it's for the
faint-hearted:-

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a

Not to mention that the .bin file it suggests using says:-

This branch is 4 commits ahead, 2316 commits behind
lede-project:master.

As I said I'm not really convinced about LEDE/OpenWrt being a sensible
way to go.

--
Chris Green

  #15  
Old June 19th 17, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 566
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Chris Green wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Can anyone recommend a VDSL2/FTTC router which has a firewall that
works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?



Retain your V2820n and configure the Plusnet device as a dumb VDSL
modem, connected to WAN2 on the Vigor. If the Plusnet device can't be
configured as a dumb modem, buy a Vigor 130 see:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

Well, sort of possible but I'm not too keen on this solution for a
couple of reasons:-

The 2820n has just one Gigabit port so connections 'across' it
will be only 100Mb/s. I realise this won't affect the FTTC speed
as that's less than 100Mb/s but it's a nuisance.

As a consequence of the above I'd want to have another switch
between the 2820n and most of my LAN devices, which then means I
have *three* boxes connecting me to the internet. It'll work but
it is messy and will cost more in electricity.


All the available options will cost you a little!

Except running costs, about 1 per watt per year. Not a huge amount
but three boxes each taking (say) 10 watts is 30/year. Newer routers
are better but my Gigabit switch takes 19 watts if I remember right.


My quess is that you have more devices than the available 4 ports on the
2820n so you need a switch anyway. It's particularly worth using
Ethernet cables rather than WiFi wherever possible, for reliability and
performance.

Further, I think it's quite unlikely that anything you have will
saturate a 100Mbits/sec link for long enough to be inconvenient, so I'm
sure the 2820n will meet your needs.

I do tend to copy large files around the place so notice if things
aren't running at Gigabit speeds.


My local expert recommends Ubiquiti ...

--
Graham J

  #16  
Old June 19th 17, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 282
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 09:48:12 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Graham J wrote:

Retain your V2820n and configure the Plusnet device as a dumb VDSL
modem, connected to WAN2 on the Vigor. If the Plusnet device can't be
configured as a dumb modem, buy a Vigor 130 see:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

Well, sort of possible but I'm not too keen on this solution for a
couple of reasons:-

The 2820n has just one Gigabit port so connections 'across' it
will be only 100Mb/s. I realise this won't affect the FTTC speed
as that's less than 100Mb/s but it's a nuisance.


Paul's suggestion doesn't alter anything on the LAN side of your
DrayTek, so that must be a problem with your current setup as well! If
you're replacing the router not just because it's ADSL but also
because it has only one Gb port, then it might have been an idea to
say so up front.

You either have to replace the router with one that has all Gb LAN
ports, or buy a Gb switch. Accept it and move on.

The following 8-port Gb switch is only 17 and 4.5W
https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DGS-.../dp/B00011PFWG
--
================================================== ======
Please always reply to ng as the email in this post's
header does not exist. Or use a contact address at:
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/JavaJive.html
http://www.macfh.co.uk/Macfarlane/Macfarlane.html
  #17  
Old June 19th 17, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Graham J wrote:

Further, I think it's quite unlikely that anything you have will
saturate a 100Mbits/sec link for long enough to be inconvenient, so I'm
sure the 2820n will meet your needs.

I do tend to copy large files around the place so notice if things
aren't running at Gigabit speeds.


My local expert recommends Ubiquiti ...

Yes, but they don't make VDSL routers do they? I'll go and look though.

--
Chris Green

  #18  
Old June 19th 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Java Jive wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 09:48:12 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Graham J wrote:

Retain your V2820n and configure the Plusnet device as a dumb VDSL
modem, connected to WAN2 on the Vigor. If the Plusnet device can't be
configured as a dumb modem, buy a Vigor 130 see:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

Well, sort of possible but I'm not too keen on this solution for a
couple of reasons:-

The 2820n has just one Gigabit port so connections 'across' it
will be only 100Mb/s. I realise this won't affect the FTTC speed
as that's less than 100Mb/s but it's a nuisance.


Paul's suggestion doesn't alter anything on the LAN side of your
DrayTek, so that must be a problem with your current setup as well! If
you're replacing the router not just because it's ADSL but also
because it has only one Gb port, then it might have been an idea to
say so up front.

You either have to replace the router with one that has all Gb LAN
ports, or buy a Gb switch. Accept it and move on.

The following 8-port Gb switch is only 17 and 4.5W
https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DGS-.../dp/B00011PFWG


I think you could see from the full thread that I *do* already have a
Gigabit switch 'LAN side' of the router, but I use more than the 8
ports that has so having Gigabit on the router as well would be handy.

The other issue with using the 2820n is adding complexity for no real
gain (except the functional firewall of course). I prefer to keep
things as simple as possible always, I have enough trouble already
keeping tabs on all the Cat5e wires snaking around my study. :-)

--
Chris Green

  #19  
Old June 19th 17, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 566
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Chris Green wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 09:48:12 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Graham J wrote:

Retain your V2820n and configure the Plusnet device as a dumb VDSL
modem, connected to WAN2 on the Vigor. If the Plusnet device can't be
configured as a dumb modem, buy a Vigor 130 see:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

Well, sort of possible but I'm not too keen on this solution for a
couple of reasons:-

The 2820n has just one Gigabit port so connections 'across' it
will be only 100Mb/s. I realise this won't affect the FTTC speed
as that's less than 100Mb/s but it's a nuisance.


Paul's suggestion doesn't alter anything on the LAN side of your
DrayTek, so that must be a problem with your current setup as well! If
you're replacing the router not just because it's ADSL but also
because it has only one Gb port, then it might have been an idea to
say so up front.

You either have to replace the router with one that has all Gb LAN
ports, or buy a Gb switch. Accept it and move on.

The following 8-port Gb switch is only 17 and 4.5W
https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DGS-.../dp/B00011PFWG


I think you could see from the full thread that I *do* already have a
Gigabit switch 'LAN side' of the router, but I use more than the 8
ports that has so having Gigabit on the router as well would be handy.

The other issue with using the 2820n is adding complexity for no real
gain (except the functional firewall of course). I prefer to keep
things as simple as possible always, I have enough trouble already
keeping tabs on all the Cat5e wires snaking around my study. :-)



Then tidy it up properly. I have some trunking left over from a
business that I closed - you could install this around your study and
run cables through it to a patch panel in a cabinet. Then for each
individual item you only need a short cable from it to the nearest point
on the wall. Let me know if you're interested - I'm near Thetford.

You know it makes sense!

--
Graham J

  #20  
Old June 19th 17, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 151
Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Chris Green wrote:

How difficult are the required hardware
modifications?


Piggle the case open with two or three spudgers

Solder four fine wires to solder pads (they don't need to be pretty,
aren't especially close to other pads, once you've uploaded the firmware
over serial, their job is done (future upgrades are over ethernet/wifi)

I have looked at the LEDE site but it's not
*incredibly* clear what one needs to do.


I can provide a good summary and better photos than the website.

I have installed OpenWrt on a router so know the basics, however I
just needed to rig up a serial lead to do that, the router (Mikrotik)
had a serial port already.


Make sure the USB/TTL serial dongle you have is 3.3V not 5.0V
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What VDSL routers offer a proper, configurable, firewall? Chris Green uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 12 May 10th 17 10:00 PM
VDSL Multicast on ADSL line Rodney Pont[_2_] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 79 January 26th 17 08:32 PM
Estimating ADSL & VDSL Speeds From Given Distances Java Jive uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 15 November 18th 16 09:34 PM
Do slow VDSL lines use ADSL profiles ? Andrew Benham uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 October 25th 16 12:53 AM
Ceasing VDSL and providing ADSL instead - what's involved by BT? NY uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 35 July 7th 14 05:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.