ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 18th 17, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

I have recently moved from an ADSL connection to VDSL/FTTC, on the
ADSL connection I used a Draytek Vigor 2820n router. I run a couple
of services on my home LAN, specifically ssh (so I can connect from
the outside world) and SMTP (for mail delivery).

Thus I need a router that does port forwarding and has a configurable
firewall, I want/need to limit the ssh and SMTP access to a few
specific IP addresses 'out there' to minimise the risks.

The PlusNet supplied Home Hub One simply doesn't have a configurable
firewall so, while it's OK at what it does, it doesn't provide what I
need.

So my first try was a TP-Link TD-W9980, it's "end of life" but none of
the more modern TP-Link routers has a firewall. The TP-Link's
firewall is just about up to what I need but it has amuch more
fundamental flaw. When you enable the firewall WiFi users can't
connect to the LAN! Rather a fundamantal bug.

Second try was a Zyxel VMG-3925-B10B, it looks as if it will be
perfect but again the firewall is totally broken. If you set up port
forwarding it bypasses the firewall completely! I.e. I have port 22
forward to a system on my LAN, whatever rules I set up in the firewall
doesn't affect port 22. I can 'block' connections on port 22 and
incoming connections still work!

Are they all this bad? Or is there a router out there with a fairly
basic firewall that actually works?

Can anyone recommend a VDSL2/FTTC router which has a firewall that
works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

--
Chris Green