ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Old June 19th 17, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

Chris Green wrote:

To put LEDE on the Hub One (I don't have a Hub Zero) you have to
do some quite low level hardware stuff and, while I can probably
manage it, I'm not too keen.

it boils down to cracking (hopefully not literally) the case open and
soldering four temporary wires.

LEDE/OpenWrt doesn't seem to have any sort of regular update
system so once installed you're stuck at the same version for
ever.

I upgraded mine from 17.0.0 to 17.0.2 last night, download a bin file
from the internet, and upload it to the router vie its web interface, it
checks checksum, reboots, job done.

Quite often LEDE/OpenWrt doesn't support the proprietary bits,
which are nearly always the bits you actually need, i.e. the ADSL
and VDSL2 latest formats.

The HH5A is the third router I've used openWRT/LEDE on, and as you say
it is the first where the xDSL interface is supported natively, before
I've had to use dual ethernet router with an xDSL modem in bridge mode.

I think it only supports G.inp in one direction, so if you have a long
line, or electrically noisy neighbours you could have an issue, but for
me it is faster than an billion 8800NL was

Line State: showtime_tc_sync [0x801]
Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Annex: B
Profile: 17a
Data Rate: 79.810 Mb/s / 19.999 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 79.921 Mb/s / 28.058 Mb/s
Latency: 0.20 ms / 0.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN): 11.1 dB / 12.5 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): 11.3 dB / 12.6 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): 5.9 dB / 15.2 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP): 0.7 dB / 14.1 dB

It's a super little router.
Old June 19th 17, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chris Green wrote:

Is that as in Plusnet Hub One running LEDE?

No, a HH5a, but same difference really, the installer does ask at one
point if you have home hub 5a, business hub 5a or hub one.

Old June 19th 17, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chronos wrote:

I build my own from bleeding edge source

Did you enable dual CPU, the second eth (WAN) port, or both?

Old June 19th 17, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

How difficult are the required hardware
modifications?

Piggle the case open with two or three spudgers

OK, easy enough, I have a kit of them.

Solder four fine wires to solder pads (they don't need to be pretty,
aren't especially close to other pads, once you've uploaded the firmware
over serial, their job is done (future upgrades are over ethernet/wifi)

I have looked at the LEDE site but it's not
*incredibly* clear what one needs to do.

I can provide a good summary and better photos than the website.

Could you tell me where or send them to me please, E-Mail in header is
valid if you mail them.

I have installed OpenWrt on a router so know the basics, however I
just needed to rig up a serial lead to do that, the router (Mikrotik)
had a serial port already.

Make sure the USB/TTL serial dongle you have is 3.3V not 5.0V

That might be an issue, for the Mikrotik I used my 'real' COM port on
the desktop machine. I guess USB-Serial dongles are two a penny on
eBay though.

Thanks in advance for any/all information (and so far!).

--
Chris Green

Old June 19th 17, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

[...]

OK, I'm probably going to try going down this route then. Even if I
brick it I'm no worse off (currently using the TP-Link TD-W9980 which
is OK'ish but not ideal).

--
Chris Green

Old June 19th 17, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Is that as in Plusnet Hub One running LEDE?

No, a HH5a, but same difference really, the installer does ask at one
point if you have home hub 5a, business hub 5a or hub one.

As I understand it the PlusNet Hub One is identical with the BT HH5a
(apart from the colour of the case).

--
Chris Green

Old June 20th 17, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 21:48:48 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Is that as in Plusnet Hub One running LEDE?

No, a HH5a, but same difference really, the installer does ask at one
point if you have home hub 5a, business hub 5a or hub one.

As I understand it the PlusNet Hub One is identical with the BT HH5a
(apart from the colour of the case).

And it's presumably not locked to BT internet.
I wonder if it's locked to Plusnet internet?

Rod.
Old June 27th 17, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chris Green wrote:

Thanks in advance for any/all information (and so far!).

Apologies for lack of futher response, One of those weeks, but I now hav
in my mits an actual Hub One to convert for a friend, so will double
check the same instructions work as per the HH5a ...