How easy is it to get one's cabinet changed (!)

Old June 19th 17, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default How easy is it to get one's cabinet changed (!)

I am currently connected to a new[ish] FTTC cabinet that is about a
mile away from me, it only came on-line in March this year and I think
I was probably one of the first people to get connected.

For some reason (we can't believe it's high demand, this is a *small*
village) OpenReach have installed another cabinet right at the end of
our little road (well, lane more like) which is much closer to our
house.

The broadband tools at mouselike.org are a bit confusing, if I use the
'Postcode to PCP' button it tells me I would be connected to PCP 2
which is the one I am connected to. However if I use the 'Phone to
PCP' button it says I should connect to PCP 11 which is the new one at
the end of the road.

What are the chances of either:-

Getting moved to the new cabinet when it comes on line (it's
probably not quite there yet) without any input from me?

or Being able to ask to be moved to the closer cabinet. How would I
do this (if it's even possible)?

--
Chris Green

Old June 20th 17, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_3_]

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 21:57:20 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

I would say near zero. I have been trying to do this for over a year. You
would have to get a new line installed - it would be near impossible to
get an existing one moved.

My ISP was very co-operative and tried to get a *new* line installed to a
different cabinet. BT then demanded a letter from a neighbour as a small
part of the dropwire would go over their garden. This took a while to get
from the landlord as the place is rented.

Then BT said no.
Old June 20th 17, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Hmm, I thought it mght be rather difficult!

There is a thread on the PlusNet forums about someone who *did* manage
it, PlusNet apparently helped quite a lot. They did a 'cease' (i.e.
back to ADSL) and then a 'reprovide'.

We actually have two lines, I'm just in the process of moving the
number of the second line to a VOIP service but we'll still have the
physical connection.

--
Chris Green

Old June 20th 17, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 19/06/2017 21:57, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Sorry to pour cold water on but...

... I had a visitor in the same situation - FTTC directly opposite and a
'phone' cabinet just over a mile away.

He tried to get his line moved but failed.

So if an OpenReach engineer cannot succeed there is little hope for mortals.

--

Flop
General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for
Old June 20th 17, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Chris Green wrote:

I am currently connected

Eh what? A simple tractor accident did you say?
Put it into reverse when you meant forward.
Dammn! Now we have to install a new cabinet...

Old June 20th 17, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"7" wrote in message
Chris Green wrote:

I am currently connected

Eh what? A simple tractor accident did you say?
Put it into reverse when you meant forward.
Dammn! Now we have to install a new cabinet...

LOL

It's almost worth it to see their faces :-)

However... isn't the problem that the overhead or underground lines from
people's houses to the cabinets are routed to cabinets which are not the
closest, so replacing one cabinet with another one will not solve the
problem - a given person's line will still go to the "wrong" cabinet. To
solve that problem would mean rerouting wires from one cabinet to another.

And then of course you've got the problem that some people have their lines
connected directly to the exchange and not to a cabinet, and so don't
benefit from FTTC even if the exchanges cabinets do. I wonder if VDSL rather
than ADSL over those connected-to-the-exchange lines would give any speed
increase - assuming that VDSL rather than ADSL modems were installed in the
exchange to mimic those in a cabinet, effectively setting up a cabinet in
the exchange.

Old June 20th 17, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_3_]

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:36:48 +0100, NY wrote:

"7" wrote in message
Chris Green wrote:

I am currently connected

Eh what? A simple tractor accident did you say?
Put it into reverse when you meant forward. Dammn! Now we have to
install a new cabinet...

LOL

It's almost worth it to see their faces

However... isn't the problem that the overhead or underground lines from
people's houses to the cabinets are routed to cabinets which are not the
closest, so replacing one cabinet with another one will not solve the
problem - a given person's line will still go to the "wrong" cabinet. To
solve that problem would mean rerouting wires from one cabinet to
another.

True. But not in my case. Theer is a pole at the front of the house to a
cab 1.3km away. I'm on that. There is another pole at the back to a cab
that is about 250m away. They won't install a line from that pole.
Old June 20th 17, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 20 Jun 2017 18:43:40 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:36:48 +0100, NY wrote:

However... isn't the problem that the overhead or underground lines from
people's houses to the cabinets are routed to cabinets which are not the
closest, so replacing one cabinet with another one will not solve the
problem - a given person's line will still go to the "wrong" cabinet. To
solve that problem would mean rerouting wires from one cabinet to
another.

True. But not in my case. Theer is a pole at the front of the house to a
cab 1.3km away. I'm on that. There is another pole at the back to a cab
that is about 250m away. They won't install a line from that pole.

So ensure that the pole in front of the house has the 'accident' :-)
Old June 20th 17, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 19-Jun-17 9:57 PM, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

You will either get moved to the new cabinet as part of a planned
network re-arrangement or you won't. Either way you can't influence what
happens.
Old June 21st 17, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 20/06/2017 19:36, NY wrote:
"7" wrote in message
Chris Green wrote:

I am currently connected

Eh what? A simple tractor accident did you say?
Put it into reverse when you meant forward.
Dammn! Now we have to install a new cabinet...

We have had a hedge flailer take out our not cabinet - more like a dull
grey box now a double hole in the ground as cables were a bit short.

LOL

It's almost worth it to see their faces :-)

However... isn't the problem that the overhead or underground lines from
people's houses to the cabinets are routed to cabinets which are not the
closest, so replacing one cabinet with another one will not solve the
problem - a given person's line will still go to the "wrong" cabinet. To
solve that problem would mean rerouting wires from one cabinet to another.

They seem to put a new cabinet where it is convenient for mains power
and then route new FTTC users to it as and when needed. Being on the
wrong side of the road can be expensive. The guy who lives opposite one
in my village has an EO line running down the wrong side of the road. He
was quoted about 3k for getting fibre installed and a new pole.

And then of course you've got the problem that some people have their
lines connected directly to the exchange and not to a cabinet, and so
don't benefit from FTTC even if the exchanges cabinets do. I wonder if
VDSL rather than ADSL over those connected-to-the-exchange lines would
give any speed increase - assuming that VDSL rather than ADSL modems
were installed in the exchange to mimic those in a cabinet, effectively
setting up a cabinet in the exchange.

They typically set up a cabinet fairly close to but outside the confines
of the exchange. I gather that VDSL cable bundles produces too much
interference crosstalk to site it inside from what the engineer says. It
is this quirk that makes my FTTC distance EO line distance (and in any
case way beyond the roughly 1200m breakeven range).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown