gmx.com and PopTray

Old June 22nd 17, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

Default gmx.com and PopTray

In May it was necessary to change the POP3 server settings for gmx to use
Port 995 and SSL enabled. This is working for T'bird but, today, ceased
working for PopTray.
I assume that gmx has now disabled the the old log-in, but there's no option
to set PopTray to SSL or Encryption so that could be why it doesn't work on
gmx.
Is there any way, perhaps in the Reg., of doing this? I quite like PT and
have tried other utilities but they're compatitively clumsy.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old June 22nd 17, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

PeterC wrote:

In May it was necessary to change the POP3 server settings for gmx to use
Port 995 and SSL enabled. This is working for T'bird but, today, ceased
working for PopTray.

You could probably use stunnel to talk SSL to gmx and present a non-SSL
port locally, then point poptray to the local address/port

https://www.stunnel.org/features.html
Old June 22nd 17, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 20:57:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

PeterC wrote:

In May it was necessary to change the POP3 server settings for gmx to use
Port 995 and SSL enabled. This is working for T'bird but, today, ceased
working for PopTray.

You could probably use stunnel to talk SSL to gmx and present a non-SSL
port locally, then point poptray to the local address/port

https://www.stunnel.org/features.html

Thanks - though looks a bit technical for me.
I'm currently trying EmailTray - it does the job but the interface has more
steps than has PopTray.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old June 23rd 17, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 12:12:27 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

In May it was necessary to change the POP3 server settings for gmx to use
Port 995 and SSL enabled. This is working for T'bird but, today, ceased
working for PopTray.
I assume that gmx has now disabled the the old log-in, but there's no option
to set PopTray to SSL or Encryption so that could be why it doesn't work on
gmx.

Have you checked the plug-ins?

http://www.poptray.org/plugins.php

Seems just a matter of copying a .dll

As an aside how are you finding gmx? I'm looking at migrating away
from btinternet and yahoo.

--
AnthonyL
Old June 23rd 17, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"AnthonyL" wrote

As an aside how are you finding gmx? I'm looking at migrating away

from btinternet and yahoo.

I chose gmx to replace my Freeserve account and fell right into a trap
because my initial password was 17 characters long. This caused my second
and subsequent logons to fail and a delay of a week to get support to reset
my password.

==
Please note that when registering an account, the maximum password length is
16 characters. However, once the account is register you can change this
password within your account settings and the maximum password length there
is 40 characters.
==

Otherwise things are fine and, unlike Gmail, gmx is not discarding mailing
list emails from AOL users.

--
Mike D

Old June 23rd 17, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

wrote:

In May it was necessary to change the POP3 server settings for gmx to use
Port 995 and SSL enabled. This is working for T'bird but, today, ceased
working for PopTray.
I assume that gmx has now disabled the the old log-in, but there's no option
to set PopTray to SSL or Encryption so that could be why it doesn't work on
gmx.

Have you checked the plug-ins?

http://www.poptray.org/plugins.php

Seems just a matter of copying a .dll

Thanks for the link. Got latest (FSVO latest!) version and, eventually,
found the plugins .exe.
It all installed OK, I selected the plugins in Options and saved, back to
Accounts - still no SSL option.
Then realised that the POP3 box had a drop-down list - bingo!

Now v. pleased with it - thanks again.

As an aside how are you finding gmx? I'm looking at migrating away
from btinternet and yahoo.

Can be a bit obscure in the web interface but I hardly ever go there. At one
time there was a forum but I haven't managed to find it for a couple of
years.
Never had a problem - but don't like the way that there's a 'master,
account, so anything POP3 shows in all inboxes in PopTray and anything sent
from a GMX address from T'bird always shows up as from the default address.
Been using it for a few years now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away