RJ11 to RJ11 cable

Old July 17th 17, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

Default RJ11 to RJ11 cable

I need to buy a spare one of these cables. I have a VSDL connection.
Does it matter if I buy one that says that it is suitable for an ADSL
connection? I don't know if they are wired any differently. Ideally I
am looking for a shielded cable. If anybody has any info on where I
could get one I would be obliged. I am looking for one myself as I
type...

Many thanks
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.
Old July 17th 17, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"DrTeeth" wrote in message
I need to buy a spare one of these cables. I have a VSDL connection.
Does it matter if I buy one that says that it is suitable for an
ADSL
connection? I don't know if they are wired any differently. Ideally
am looking for a shielded cable. If anybody has any info on where I
could get one I would be obliged. I am looking for one myself as I
type...

RJ11 to RJ11 is just that so provided it is not too long any cable
should work.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old July 17th 17, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 17:59:31 +0100, DrTeeth
wrote:

I need to buy a spare one of these cables. I have a VSDL connection.
Does it matter if I buy one that says that it is suitable for an ADSL
connection? I don't know if they are wired any differently. Ideally I
am looking for a shielded cable. If anybody has any info on where I
could get one I would be obliged. I am looking for one myself as I
type...

Many thanks

They are wired pin to pin so you should be OK with any
Most are not even twisted pair, never mind shielded.

I have a 2M one here that is twisted pair, it's also purple, that
probebly makes more of a difference :-)
Do you want it?
I take it your works QTH is no longer Oak Hill.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 17th 17, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Woody wrote:

"DrTeeth" wrote in message
I need to buy a spare one of these cables. I have a VSDL connection.
Does it matter if I buy one that says that it is suitable for an
ADSL
connection? I don't know if they are wired any differently. Ideally
am looking for a shielded cable. If anybody has any info on where I
could get one I would be obliged. I am looking for one myself as I
type...

RJ11 to RJ11 is just that so provided it is not too long any cable
should work.

It might depend on which pins are connected, it isn't *necessarily*
one to one connection.

--
Chris Green

Old July 17th 17, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 21:29:53 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Woody wrote:

"DrTeeth" wrote in message
I need to buy a spare one of these cables. I have a VSDL connection.
Does it matter if I buy one that says that it is suitable for an
ADSL
connection? I don't know if they are wired any differently. Ideally
am looking for a shielded cable. If anybody has any info on where I
could get one I would be obliged. I am looking for one myself as I
type...

RJ11 to RJ11 is just that so provided it is not too long any cable
should work.

It might depend on which pins are connected, it isn't *necessarily*
one to one connection.

One can never say never of course, but Guy would be very unlucky
indeed to encounter such an animal.

If one end is a "BT plug" then it's 50/50 whether the cable is
straight or crossed over, and if the cable came from a fax machine and
the BT plug is a block with a socket on the back all bets are off.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 18th 17, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 20:35:30 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Graham. disturbed my reverie and wrote:

I take it your works QTH is no longer Oak Hill.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for the offer, but I have not worked for over 2 years due
to back/health issues. I would not want you to splash out on the
ridiculous rip-off postal charges, especially as I can get them very
cheap on eBay.

I have come across a shielded cable that is a bit long, but I have
problems with RF killing my broadband.

I managed to fix the issue on 21MHz following some advice on the RSGB
tech group. 7MHz is still an issue. I have swapped in another modem
(TP-LINK W970 in bridge mode) and that is still affected.

I would splash out on a new modem/router if I knew that it would fix
the problem. I have to have something to do during the long JT65
overs.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Old July 20th 17, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

DrTeeth wrote:
[...]

So the real question is "Why?"

My guess is that you want your VDSL router to be sited a long way from
the incoming BT phone socket.

Further, the RFI is coming from your own amateur radio transmitter, so
you could have 150W of RF from a transmitter a few feet from the phone
line - certainly enough to swamp any VDSL signal.

So: if you site the router adjacent to the BT phone socket does it still
suffer from RFI? If so, there's probably nothing you can do about it
because the RF is getting into the Openreach phone line. You might be
able to get Openreach to improve the balance on the line ... Also,
moving your transmitter antenna further away from the phone line might
help - possibly also using a more highly directional antenna ...

If the router works reliably when sited adjacent to the BT phone socket
then you could leave it there and carry the Ethernet signals over CAT5
cable around the house as you require.

Alternatively you can extend the phone line using CAT5 cable. For this
you should have a faceplate microfilter. The socket used for the
unfiltered signal to your router is in fact RJ45 although normally you
plug an RJ11 connector into it. Many people don't believe this, so I
suggest you try it. At the other end of your CAT5 cable you will need
an RJ45 socket. This is easily achieved with a standard wall-mount
arrangement. But to fit the connector on the cable you do need the
correct tools. Further, you will need solid core CAT5 cable to work
correctly with the punch-down connector on the RJ45 socket, so the RJ45
plug also needs to be specified for solid core cable. It follows that
the cable should be fixed to the wall, since the solid cores will
fracture if it's allows to flex too much. Into this RJ45 socket you
plug the short RJ11 to RJ11 lead that came with your router.

Hope this helps.

--
Graham J

Old July 20th 17, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 09:17:07 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Graham J disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks Graham. It's food for thought.

I have greatly improved matters. The main band that was causing
trouble was 40m. The problem does not exist at night. I have ordered a
twisted pair cable just to be sure in case my current one is not. I
have got a longer cable so I have enough extra length to wrap around a
ferrite 'polo'.